Space X/NASA launch

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Amazing to keep the perspective of time here - one of these things is not like the other.

1903 - 1969 (66 years): Inventing flight to landing on the moon!
1969 - 2020 (51 years): 4 years of subsequent moon landings to....years of experiments in low-earth orbit

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
The 2nd stage of the rocket must just stay up in orbit then, right? I was thinking both stages would land back on Earth for some reason?
I haven't followed SpaceX too closely, but I think they gave up on recovering the second stage several years ago.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Not trying to be political, but seems like sometimes a private/public partnership can really work wonders if done correctly.
Not like NASA was doing everything on their own prior to this.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Amazing to keep the perspective of time here - one of these things is not like the other.

1903 - 1969 (66 years): Inventing flight to landing on the moon!
1969 - 2020 (51 years): 4 years of subsequent moon landings to....years of experiments in low-earth orbit
To be fair, we have landed rovers on Mars, and have sent a space craft out of our solar system over the last 51 years.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
To be fair, we have landed rovers on Mars, and have sent a space craft out of our solar system over the last 51 years.

Landed several rovers and operated for many years and collected amazing data. Explored the solar system, planets, moons, and dwarf planets. Sent spacecraft beyond our solar system. Landed craft on comets and asteroids

The original post minimized and oversimplified what we’ve accomplished. But, I agree with the premise that we should do much more.

It also comes down to limiting technologies.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

Yep...include it if you’d like. Not trying to discredit anything...I was looking at milestones of physical human exploration. The stark contrast in that level of achievement over roughly the same time period is amazing. It took ~30 years to get a rover on Mars and a space station in low earth orbit after landing on the moon...imagine how far we’d be with the same exponential intensity.

Reactions: isutrevman

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Are all the flat earthers watching this?

Do they not see the curvature of the Earth? Of course not.... they think the video is all fake and a hoax.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
While this all very exciting. I cant help but think of the time the Top Gear boys decided to try and turn a Reliant Robin into a space shuttle.

Glad the launch today was more successful.

Reactions: CascadeClone

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
When I saw the launch I couldn’t help, for the first time, thinking “yeah, we could actually see public space flight happen in my lifetime.

Kinda cool.

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
After watching the launch live earlier today, was thrilling to see a brilliantly lit ISS pass over central Iowa this evening, followed closely behind by the Crew Dragon capsule racing to catch up to it! Even better that I got to share the moment with my impressionable 14 y.o. daughter! Very cool & memorable experience.

UnCytely

SuperFanatic
Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa
I have tears.

We needed this as a country.

Never doubt this country and the things we can accomplish.

**** iowa.

20 years ago, the U.S. had about 15% of the world-wide commercial launch market, and that market share was dwindling. Today, the U.S. controls about 80% of the world-wide commercial launch market, and the Russians and Chinese are pissed! :) It is entirely due to SpaceX lowering the costs by re-using the first-stage boosters. Even the Chinese can't compete with SpaceX's prices.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron