Backyard Wood Panel Privacy Fence

Who gets the good side of the fence?

• Flip a coin with the neighbor to see gets it.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
The neighbor gets the good side. No rule though.
I get it , I paid for it it's on my property and the neighbors is why the fense is up in the first place. Since they mow their lawn once a month or less!

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I get it , I paid for it it's on my property and the neighbors is why the fense is up in the first place. Since they mow their lawn once a month or less!

My neighbor took down the chain link and put up a standard wood fence, he gave me the bad side. I see the post....I use his fence to hang my outdoor lights so I am making good use of the bad side.

Reactions: cycloner29

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm glad I'm not some of your neighbor as if I came home one day and found you put up a privacy fence with the "bad side" facing me without discussing it with me first I doubt you would like our next conversation. At least put in a fence style like this if you are considering doing that to your neighbor as you both will see the same thing at least. That person may not be your neighbor forever and if they ever put their house on the market little things like having to see the back side of your fence facing out sometimes is enough to give someone another reason not to buy the house because they don't like the view they will have. I know it sounds stupid but I'm sure you can ask any realtor what kind of dumb things some buyers will complain about and I bet you the neighbors fence may come up. Do the neighborly thing and talk to your neighbors about your plans to put up a fence and how it is going to look before you do it so you don't piss them off. I'd rather be on good terms with my neighbors even if it means I have to have the "bad side" of the fence as my view. I had 1 neighbor ask me if I had a problem with tearing out chain link to put up privacy fence and another who has considered doing the same but didn't pull the trigger and he even asked me if it was OK to put a gate in if he did so if we needed to get a kid's ball or toy that got into the other's yard we could which I found nice that he took that possibility into consideration in his planning.

The last house I lived in was on a corner lot and technically didn't have a back yard because the house sat further back on the lot closer to the property line so the 2 side yards and front yard was quite spacious including 1 side yard the deck was off of. Our realtor said he was getting some comments about the lack of a back yard during open house and said his sales pitch was to take them out on the deck looking over the side yard and tell them they need to put things into perspective that this large side yard is technically your back yard because of where the house sits on the lot. You'll be amazed at how such little things like that or something your neighbor has done to their property that you have a view of could potentially turn away potential buyers.

Residential%20Wood%20Privacy%20Fence.JPG

Reactions: BoxsterCy

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Talked with both neighbors and they are good with what I am doing. The one neighbor has 4 dogs and they moved in just about a year ago. When I first met him he told me he was going to put one in, since then with the covid situation, both he and fiance were unemployed, so he was great about me putting one in and he did mention when first met him that a couple of his dogs like to nip at people every now and then, so this will take of that ever happening. May have to do the fold down bar type fence on that fence with them.

Our other neighbor's have like a grotto type back yard and if I put the good side to them it I would have to move some of their rocks out of the way as they put them up really tight against the current chain link fence. So to keep with the way the current fence is set up, it would have to be on my side.

Hard part now is trying to find the property pins.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Anyone else see the irony of a privacy fence discussion during quarantine/social distancing?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Anyone else see the irony of a privacy fence discussion during quarantine/social distancing?

Makes sense- more people are home more often, making some feel an increased need for privacy.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Makes sense- more people are home more often, making some feel an increased need for privacy.

I don't think having to see someone's smelly open compost pile on a daily basis as an increased need for privacy or a dog that nips at people as an increased need for privacy. I look at it as a safety precaution. I'm home during this pandemic, I have the time, and the money to do it, so why not?

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

There are a lot of home improvement projects going on now. Lowes on a Tuesday afternoon looks like a Saturday and our Menards looks like a Saturday at Jack Trice, but with more beer.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
There are a lot of home improvement projects going on now. Lowes on a Tuesday afternoon looks like a Saturday and our Menards looks like a Saturday at Jack Trice, but with more beer.

Yeah, my neighbor on my back corner just came over tonight to let me know he is running a chain link fence across the back. Doesnt affect me a ton, other than closing off that corner.

Did find out that whoever did the fence for the house in between us put that corner in the wrong place, so that'll be a fun discussion for them

Reactions: Macloney

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
When we lived in north Ames and put one in, the finished side went out for all the reasons described already. But i thought I remember we has to put the fence a few inches to a foot inside our property line so all the concrete and everything was 100% on our lot. This may have been an HOA thing rather than a city thing, though that HOA was super chill.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Yeah, my neighbor on my back corner just came over tonight to let me know he is running a chain link fence across the back. Doesnt affect me a ton, other than closing off that corner.

Did find out that whoever did the fence for the house in between us put that corner in the wrong place, so that'll be a fun discussion for them

Speaking of chain link, moved a couple of years ago and two neighbors have chain link (yuck) that borders part of my yard. They never do anything about the grass that grows up along it. Creates extra work for me needing to trim "my side" but still have the tall grass going to seed on "their side". At least with a privacy fence I could just spray with Roundup and be done with it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Speaking of chain link, moved a couple of years ago and two neighbors have chain link (yuck) that borders part of my yard. They never do anything about the grass that grows up along it. Creates extra work for me needing to trim "my side" but still have the tall grass going to seed on "their side". At least with a privacy fence I could just spray with Roundup and be done with it.

I have the same issue with my neighbors fences.

The area in the back of my lawn has both that chain link fence and also gets super soggy. Been thinking about doing something other than grass back there

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
When we lived in north Ames and put one in, the finished side went out for all the reasons described already. But i thought I remember we has to put the fence a few inches to a foot inside our property line so all the concrete and everything was 100% on our lot. This may have been an HOA thing rather than a city thing, though that HOA was super chill.

That's not a HOA thing. That's a you built something on my property, I can force you to tear it out and repair all the damages thing.

If you do put up a fence, I'd make sure that you know exactly where your property lines are. Not where you think they are, but where they actually are (survey / plat / hubs / whatever).

Reactions: besserheimerphat

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
I'm curious about the maintenance of a wood fence. Don't you need to stain or paint them every once in awhile? How do you maintain the outside of the fence?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm curious about the maintenance of a wood fence. Don't you need to stain or paint them every once in awhile? How do you maintain the outside of the fence?

flip fences are that you seal a side then flip it over and do the other side.