2020 John Deere Classic Cancelled

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Inform me. John Deere is paying $10 million for what?
John Deere obviously is paying a lot of money to be a title sponsor of the John Deere Classic. They also give at least a half a million to the Birdies for Charity program every year and will again this year even without the tournament being held. They are also the official equipment provider for the PGA tour which gets them tons of advertising as well as all the on course signage, commercials that are part of the TV coverage. Please read the mission statement provided as well. I am a part of this tournament so I really do know what I am talking about.

Attachments

• 3 Mission Statement.pdf
    97.7 KB · Views: 1

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
John Deere obviously is paying a lot of money to be a title sponsor of the John Deere Classic. They also give at least a half a million to the Birdies for Charity program every year and will again this year even without the tournament being held. They are also the official equipment provider for the PGA tour which gets them tons of advertising as well as all the on course signage, commercials that are part of the TV coverage. Please read the mission statement provided as well. I am a part of this tournament so I really do know what I am talking about.

That’s great, but it still doesn’t change what I said. PGA Tour was lobbying Congress not 2 years ago to keep their non-profit status to avoid taxes.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
How many "great" tournaments are there? 4? 10? 40?

Name the "great" ones.

Memorial, Colonial, Fed ex St Judes, waste management, Honda. Those are a few that I enjoy. The ones that get those really competitive fields or have a good atmosphere like the WM.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
"Memorial, Colonial, Fed ex St Judes, waste management, Honda", "Pebble Beach, the Players, Farmers".

That's 8. What about the other 38? Do they suck too?

Reactions: TruClone

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
"Memorial, Colonial, Fed ex St Judes, waste management, Honda", "Pebble Beach, the Players, Farmers".

Kinda, yea. No one outside of diehards is watching the Sanderson and even then, I couldn’t tell you who won it last year and I usually watch every week.

Great tournaments to me have good strength of field or awesome courses. Majors, players, playoffs, WGC (except China), Memorial, and Riveria are probably it on tour. Most national Opens would be in that category too. Irish, Scottish, Australian

Last edited:

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
John Deere made the call to cancel. "Multiple people with knowledge of the decision told Golfweek that John Deere Co., didn't want to have fans at the popular event and risk a possible outbreak of coronavirus at a large gathering."

Nice try. Do you ridicule mask wearing too?

Are your thumbs soggy? I bet they are. Don't leave the house!!!! Stay home!!!! You're going to die!!! Unless you need to go to Home Depot of course.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort

How many of the total tournaments are televised on major networks or at least ESPN of Fox Sports?

Golf Channel, ESPN2, ESPNN, FSN local and even FS1 are a little too insignificant for the importance you are trying to give the other tournaments.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
How many of the total tournaments are televised on major networks or at least ESPN of Fox Sports?

Golf Channel, ESPN2, ESPNN, FSN local and even FS1 are a little too insignificant for the importance you are trying to give the other tournaments.
None of the fall schedule(NFL dominates), but, outside of majors(obviously!), only events opposite the majors are not on your list.

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/schedules/

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Pebble Beach and Colonial are big tournaments?

Did we time travel to 1970?

Reactions: MuskieCy

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
You are right, golf is basically as big as it was in 2000. Everybody still watches and the loss of the John Deere Classic is a huge blow to the world of sports in 2020.
Time for you to go home and ask your mommy to tell you once again about how wonderful you are.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Time for you to go home and ask your mommy to tell you once again about how wonderful you are.

Dude, I like golf and have been to PGA, LPGA and Senior tournaments all over the country, including Majors, but everyone on here that says the JDC is a small and not very important tournament are right. It's a nice little tournament for he area, but nobody outside of the Quad Cities and big golf fans even know it exists.

And it was your mom I went to see and she did tell me I was wonderful. This conversation didn't and doesn't need to get personal.

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
I’m sure the tournament is well-run. Obviously it raises a lot of money for charities. The venue is excellent. Unfortunately, this event suffers from a crappy scheduling date - the week before the British Open.

The problem isn’t anything with the tournament itself, it just has difficulty drawing in the top players.

I would love to see this tournament given a date either a week earlier or 3 weeks later. The PGA Tour needs to look at these Midwest locations as opportunities to grow interest instead of a week off.