Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Iowa had a nice year last year so I understand why Hawk fans wouldn't want to take an ISU player. Back when we had Monte Naz Matt and Georges, there were Hawkeye fans that said they'd rather have Gessell and Uthoff over Monte and Georges, so why would any Hawk fan want an Iowa State player right now? It makes sense.

Reactions: Cytown12

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Iowa had a nice year last year so I understand why Hawk fans wouldn't want to take an ISU player. Back when we had Monte Naz Matt and Georges, there were Hawkeye fans that said they'd rather have Gessell and Uthoff over Monte and Georges, so why would any Hawk fan want an Iowa State player right now? It makes sense.

I've never seen a fanbase of a team with a NET ranking of #34 be so cocky. Lol it's so weird

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I've never seen a fanbase of a team with a NET ranking of #34 be so cocky. Lol it's so weird
I think half of the infatuation with Iowa Basketball has to do with the fact that they had a tremendous player on their team last year, and the fact that Iowa State was awful. Last year's Iowa team probably would've ended up with around the same win total as 2 year's ago, but the fact they had a legit POY candidate and we were pathetic simply adds fuel to the fire.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think half of the infatuation with Iowa Basketball has to do with the fact that they had a tremendous player on their team last year, and the fact that Iowa State was awful. Last year's Iowa team probably would've ended up with around the same win total as 2 year's ago, but the fact they had a legit POY candidate and we were pathetic simply adds fuel to the fire.

I mean they were a 7 or 8 seed last year and they act like they were one of the best teams in the country lol

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

The biggest thing is...they won at Hilton. Sounds crazy but its easily the biggest thing to happen to Hawk bball fans in decades. I'm honestly shocked there aren't t shirts about it. Think about how much the hawk troll presence changed around here after that night. Even the decent ones did a 180.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The biggest thing is...they won at Hilton. Sounds crazy but its easily the biggest thing to happen to Hawk bball fans in decades. I'm honestly shocked there aren't t shirts about it. Think about how much the hawk troll presence changed around here after that night. Even the decent ones did a 180.

image.jpeg

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Oh for sure. I mean it definitely was a huge monkey off the back type of thing. Part of being a sports fan though is the ability to give it and take it. I talk my good amount of crap about Iowa sports and I'm a good enough sport to take it. So that night I just had to sit back and say well sh**.

If Iowa would have made t-shirts though, that would've taken a little bit of air out of the win. You won a regular season game at your rival's arena. You didn't win anything major in the grand scheme of things. They didn't make shirts though so no harm there.

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
I'll take arbitrary and useless statistics for 100, Alex

I don’t think you know how statistics work. Connor played more minutes than any of those guys, so obviously he is going to have a higher win share number. By putting them all on a per-40 minute basis, you are better able to compare. Connor is more of a winning basketball player than Harris, JCL, or Bolton.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don’t think you know how statistics work. Connor played more minutes than any of those guys, so obviously he is going to have a higher win share number. By putting them all on a per-40 minute basis, you are better able to compare. Connor is more of a winning basketball player than Harris, JCL, or Bolton.
What does that have to do with anything? Lol Connor has been on better basketball teams than those three.. That doesn't mean he's a better player than any of them (which he isn't).

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
What does that have to do with anything? Lol Connor has been on better basketball teams than those three.. That doesn't mean he's a better player than any of them (which he isn't).

He’s certainly not a more talented basketball player, but he’s a great role player/glue guy. Every good team needs a guy like that. Connor is more valuable to Iowa than Bolton, JCL, or Harris would be.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He’s certainly not a more talented basketball player, but he’s a great role player/glue guy. Every good team needs a guy like that. Connor is more valuable to Iowa than Bolton, JCL, or Harris would be.
I'm not going to disagree with Bolton and Harris, but I do think JCL would be a nice addition to Iowa. Bolton and Harris would be nice to have but you have guys at those positions already and you like them. Even though Bolton and Harris are talented they aren't talented enough in your eyes to replace the current guys on the roster.

Connor does a good job playing his role and that was primarily get the ball to Garza and open shooters, and there isn't anything wrong with that. With all of that being said, Connor is a huge d-bag.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

No good team needs a Connor McCaffrey. Lol stop it

Brodie0

Apr 1, 2020
I'm not going to disagree with Bolton and Harris, but I do think JCL would be a nice addition to Iowa. Bolton and Harris would be nice to have but you have guys at those positions already and you like them. Even though Bolton and Harris are talented they aren't talented enough in your eyes to replace the current guys on the roster.

Connor does a good job playing his role and that was primarily get the ball to Garza and open shooters, and there isn't anything wrong with that. With all of that being said, Connor is a huge d-bag.

Connor is definitely the kind of player that you appreciate when he is on your team and hate when he is on the other team.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
T-shirts were in the works and then Iowa State lost at home to Florida A&M.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Connor is definitely the kind of player that you appreciate when he is on your team and hate when he is on the other team.
Absolutely. Brad Davidson, Grayson Allen, Greg Paulas, Christian Laettner (holy sh** that's a lot of Duke guys) lol. I could go on and on. I think what gets under a lot of fan's skins (particularly Iowa State fans), is that Connor doesn't really back up his talk with his play.

You take a look at a list of the best trash talkers and bad boys in the history of college basketball and even the NBA, and the ones that are respected are the ones that could actually back it up. Charles Barkley, Reggie Miller, Gary Payton, Kevin Garnett, those types of guys. Then you have Lance Stephenson and Patrick Beverley who guys laugh at. Connor kind of plays a poser. He's a fake bad guy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron