An Oral History of the Monumental 2011 win over Oklahoma State: Part I

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This is so cool! What a fun night that was!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
That is a fantastic article. Love hearing it in the words of the players, Rhoads, and Walters.

In March, we had a Zoom Tailgate and watched this game together. I had forgotten how many mistakes we made in that game. Yet, the spirit in the stadium was like none other. Even the TV announcer felt it early.

Glad you included the part about Knott's cast. Most folks I talk to didn't know about it.

It is so cool to see Woody holding on to the ball with "every part of his body" as Walters said. I didn't know the part about him fooling around on the sideline not even thinking that he might be the ball carrier.

Maybe @The Rob Gray could do another article with interviews of Weeden, Blackmun, the kicker, and most of all, the d-line that got pushed around at the end.

Great work, Rob.

Reactions: The Rob Gray

The Rob Gray

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2016
That is a fantastic article. Love hearing it in the words of the players, Rhoads, and Walters.

In March, we had a Zoom Tailgate and watched this game together. I had forgotten how many mistakes we made in that game. Yet, the spirit in the stadium was like none other. Even the TV announcer felt it early.

Glad you included the part about Knott's cast. Most folks I talk to didn't know about it.

It is so cool to see Woody holding on to the ball with "every part of his body" as Walters said. I didn't know the part about him fooling around on the sideline not even thinking that he might be the ball carrier.

Maybe @The Rob Gray could do another article with interviews of Weeden, Blackmun, the kicker, and most of all, the d-line that got pushed around at the end.

Great work, Rob.
Thanks, man! Part 2 will include some secondhand quotes from Weeden.

Reactions: Cycsk

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Odd: Some of ISU's biggest wins were when I went into the game with a real indifferent mindset.

OSU '11 ISU was pretty average but had been at least interesting. I had friends over and it was just kind of on in the background and then they all watched me go crazy.

OU '17: again just kind of had the game on, nice October day, ISU kind of defunct after the Texas debacle, and next thing I know Baker can't find anyone on a final drive and play and OU's home crowd is real quiet like.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I like how you organized that, having the different perspectives as the game progressed -- strategy, on-field activity and recollections of what they were thinking in the moment. Much more effective and fascinating than recounting the game and interspersing some quotes within it.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
Reading that literally gave me goosebumps, well done Rob. I'll never forget that night watching from the student section and storming the field. Excited to read the next part about the aftermath, I remember a lot of celebrating in the tailgate lots after the game.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Great article, I think that 66-6 win was over Tech not Baylor though.

I remember my last class that day was from 12-1. It was a 300 level CE class. Professor started getting ready for his lecture at the beginning, then stopped and said “So..does anyone actually think we have a chance tonight?” Response from the class was a halfhearted “no.”

That night was a pretty good way to kick off thanksgiving break

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
That was the day we adopted our rescue puppy Gypsy. She is forever known as the Rally Puppy.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The camera angle wasn't dead on, so I wonder how much of a home field call the missed FG at the end of regulation was? Or, just a correct call that finally went our way.
Fun read. Really looking forward to part two.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The camera angle wasn't dead on, so I wonder how much of a home field call the missed FG at the end of regulation was? Or, just a correct call that finally went our way.

That call was the most ISU thing everrrrrrrr...

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I still remember watching the little bit of the game I could while we were in the chow hall that night, I think it was the 2nd qtr that I was able to watch a bit of. waking up the next morning and finding out we pulled it off from the sergeant was awesome, and there were a few OSU guys in the company as well.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Great article, I think that 66-6 win was over Tech not Baylor though.

I remember my last class that day was from 12-1. It was a 300 level CE class. Professor started getting ready for his lecture at the beginning, then stopped and said “So..does anyone actually think we have a chance tonight?” Response from the class was a halfhearted “no.”

That night was a pretty good way to kick off thanksgiving break

Baylor was pretty good that year and had Griffin doing everything.

Texas Tech had a rough stretch after going crazy and beating OU that season.
Oct. 22: 41-38 vs. OU.
Oct. 29: 7-41 vs. ISU.
November 5: 20-52 Texas.
November 12: 6-66 OSU
Then lost the last two to finish 5-7.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA

Did you just suggest ISU might have caught a break on a controversial call against a superior conference opponent? I didn't think so.