2020 John Deere Classic Cancelled

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Speaking as someone that grew up in Davenport, will anybody not from the Quad Cities or people on the PGA Tour desperately trying to make a name for themselves actually miss it? Don't get me wrong, it sucks, but about the only relevant thing that has ever happened there was Tiger Woods playing there on his first year on the tour.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Speaking as someone that grew up in Davenport, will anybody not from the Quad Cities or people on the PGA Tour desperately trying to make a name for themselves actually miss it? Don't get me wrong, it sucks, but about the only relevant thing that has ever happened there was Tiger Woods playing there on his first year on the tour.
Well that is too bad you think this way. I have volunteered for 28 years, being on committee for the past 14. The John Deere Classic is the tour's number one per capita charity raising event, which is the ultimate goal of pro golf. It is a great event and will be missed sorely this summer. It also is one of the tour's longest tenured event cities, would have been the 50th anniversary.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well that is too bad you think this way. I have volunteered for 28 years, being on committee for the past 14. The John Deere Classic is the tour's number one per capita charity raising event, which is the ultimate goal of pro golf. It is a great event and will be missed sorely this summer. It also is one of the tour's longest tenured event cities, would have been the 50th anniversary.

All those words you typed and yet doesn't change the relevancy of the tournament one iota. Perhaps it might matter more if the British Open wasn't played the following weekend.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
All those words you typed and yet doesn't change the relevancy of the tournament one iota. Perhaps it might matter more if the British Open wasn't played the following weekend.
Well it is a huge deal to the 543 charities that benefit from the tournament as well as the 2000+ volunteers that make it the success it is on tour. Also the economic impact it makes in the Quad Cities will be felt by many as well. Just because it isn't on your favorite list I can tell you it is favorite of many PGA tour players and their families. The British does make a huge impact on the event but Zach and Jordan have proved you can still play the event and have success over there.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
It's not until early July. Why? Stupid Illinois Nazis.

John Deere made the call to cancel. "Multiple people with knowledge of the decision told Golfweek that John Deere Co., didn't want to have fans at the popular event and risk a possible outbreak of coronavirus at a large gathering."

Nice try. Do you ridicule mask wearing too?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well it is a huge deal to the 543 charities that benefit from the tournament as well as the 2000+ volunteers that make it the success it is on tour. Also the economic impact it makes in the Quad Cities will be felt by many as well. Just because it isn't on your favorite list I can tell you it is favorite of many PGA tour players and their families. The British does make a huge impact on the event but Zach and Jordan have proved you can still play the event and have success over there.

You sound like that writer for the Quad City Times that would always get pissed off about the Quad Cities never being considered one of the top 100 sports cities in the US based on the John Deere Classic (a minor PGA event), the Quad City River Bandits (a Low-A Minor League team), and Western Illinois University (a small FCS/mid-major school that takes twice the amount of time to get to than the University of Iowa).

That's great. It helps charities. And it sucks they won't be getting their money this year. But the fact that charities not getting their money is the only downside to the John Deere Classic not taking place you can come up with proves that it's an event that nobody outside of the area really cares about.

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
You sound like that writer for the Quad City Times that would always get pissed off about the Quad Cities never being considered one of the top 100 sports cities in the US based on the John Deere Classic (a minor PGA event), the Quad City River Bandits (a Low-A Minor League team), and Western Illinois University (a small FCS/mid-major school that takes twice the amount of time to get to than the University of Iowa).

That's great. It helps charities. And it sucks they won't be getting their money this year. But the fact that charities not getting their money is the only downside to the John Deere Classic not taking place you can come up with proves that it's an event that nobody outside of the area really cares about.
They actually will be getting some money again this year as Birdies for Charities is still going to collect and disperse again this year. I am personally inviting you to be on my committee next year so you can appreciate the event and see what it’s like from an operational side. You have blinders on if you think only the Quad Cities cares about the event. I think CBS/Golf Channel can attest to this.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

Outside of the local economy, it won’t be missed in 2020. The strength of field in 2019 was the worst since 2014 on the PGA tour.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

Charity is definitely not the number one goal of the PGA tour. It’s to provide playing opportunities so players can make money

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
Charity is definitely not the number one goal of the PGA tour. It’s to provide playing opportunities so players can make money
I retract that, what I meant to say is charity is the number one goal of the PGA tournaments themselves, minus the majors.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I retract that, what I meant to say is charity is the number one goal of the PGA tournaments themselves, minus the majors.

No, the tournaments job is to market whoever paid for it. In this case, John Deere has paid over $10 million for 4 days of marketing. The charity stuff is nice, but only exists so the PGA tour can maintain non-profit status and avoid taxes.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Charity sucks,.....apparently.

"And it sucks they won't be getting their money this year. But the fact that charities not getting their money is the only downside to the John Deere Classic not taking place you can come up with proves that it's an event that nobody outside of the area really cares about jt."

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
Charity sucks,.....apparently.

"And it sucks they won't be getting their money this year. But the fact that charities not getting their money is the only downside to the John Deere Classic not taking place you can come up with proves that it's an event that nobody outside of the area really cares about jt."

All I’m saying is it’s not a great golf tournament.

Last edited:

TruClone

Mar 25, 2009
Quad Cities
No, the tournaments job is to market whoever paid for it. In this case, John Deere has paid over $10 million for 4 days of marketing. The charity stuff is nice, but only exists so the PGA tour can maintain non-profit status and avoid taxes.
You are so wrong.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron