Justin Smith

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I think you misunderstood. I was pointing out that he's not replacing Jacobson's roster spot, he's replacing Anderson or Griffin's roster spot. That's a clear upgrade.
You could say the same thing that he is taking Haliburton's scholarship. Then it is a clear downgrade. We are talking about position in the starting 5 more than anything.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I think you misunderstood. I was pointing out that he's not replacing Jacobson's roster spot, he's replacing Anderson or Griffin's roster spot. That's a clear upgrade.

I understand those are the guys that were suppose to play the 4 but in the end MJ started their every game. His inability to defend that spot IMO was a major key in our defensive breakdown.

I'd say Johnson is our upgrade over Griffin and Lewis.

As for Anderson, leaving one spot open would be a push.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
You could say the same thing that he is taking Haliburton's scholarship. Then it is a clear downgrade. We are talking about position in the starting 5 more than anything.
I made the comparison to Anderson and Griffin because Smith plays the same position.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Sigh. Smith would replace Jacobson as the starting 4. Offense-only stats could be cherry-picked to make it seem like a wash, but my (ahem) strong suspicion is that if you broke it down and compared only minutes at the 4 vs. P6 opponents, and also evaluated defensive assignments and percentage of available rebounds, it would show that Smith is a much better 4. He also fills what, excluding freshmen, is the biggest hole on the team.
Smith and Johnson should provide, worst case, near-replacement-level minutes at the 3 and 4. The 19-20 team arguably had no one (Halliburton at 3?) that could do that. Stats are good, but fit is a critical thing too.

Reactions: Cyientist and isu83

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

No, he’d be replacing Jacobsons starting spot.

Jacobson was the starter at the 4, not Leech or Anderson. Sure he’d replace their roster spot, but that’s irrelevant.

Reactions: isutrevman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Sigh. Smith would replace Jacobson as the starting 4. Offense-only stats could be cherry-picked to make it seem like a wash, but my (ahem) strong suspicion is that if you broke it down and compared only minutes at the 4 vs. P6 opponents, and also evaluated defensive assignments and percentage of available rebounds, it would show that Smith is a much better 4. He also fills what, excluding freshmen, is the biggest hole on the team.
Smith and Johnson should provide, worst case, near-replacement-level minutes at the 3 and 4. The 19-20 team arguably had no one (Halliburton at 3?) that could do that. Stats are good, but fit is a critical thing too.

The only guys we had to play 3-4 last year were either --

too small, out of position, better as a 1-2 (e.g., Bolton and Jackson)
too slow, out of position, better as a 5 (e.g., Jacobson and Conditt)
just not very good at this level of ball (e.g., Lewis and Griffin)

I hope we have some guys for those spots who are natural there and talented enough to at least be viable Big 12 players there for the next season.

Losing Tyrese is going to hurt. No doubt. We take a step back at the 1.

But if we take a step forward everywhere else, and pretty huge steps at the 3-4 and with our bench guys, then maybe we can make up for it.

A team without athletic, rangy, and 3&D wings is just asking for it in 2020.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
This is a quintessential CF thread. We're going back and forth over which spot on the roster a potential transfer is taking.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
The only guys we had to play 3-4 last year were either --

too small, out of position, better as a 1-2 (e.g., Bolton and Jackson)
too slow, out of position, better as a 5 (e.g., Jacobson and Conditt)
just not very good at this level of ball (e.g., Lewis and Griffin)

I hope we have some guys for those spots who are natural there and talented enough to at least be viable Big 12 players there for the next season.

Losing Tyrese is going to hurt. No doubt. We take a step back at the 1.

But if we take a step forward everywhere else, and pretty huge steps at the 3-4 and with our bench guys, then maybe we can make up for it.

A team without athletic, rangy, and 3&D wings is just asking for it in 2020.

Good point, this year it could be Lands (1-3) and Johnson (3-4) with hoping a freshman could man the spot, Adding Smith (3-4) would allow Lands to focus on 1-2 and be insurance for Javian's transition to the P6 play. Foster will factor in the 4.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Good point, this year it could be Lands (1-3) and Johnson (3-4) with hoping a freshman could man the spot, Adding Smith (3-4) would allow Lands to focus on 1-2 and be insurance for Javan's transition to the P6 play. Foster will factor in the 4.

JCL isn't a 1 or primary ball handler. He'll be an off guard and used best as a spot up shooter. I think Smith would play almost only at the "4" but would be on the wing a lot in that spot. JJ probably will have some versatility as a "3" in our bigger lineup and a "4" in smaller lineups.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
JCL isn't a 1 or primary ball handler. He'll be an off guard and used best as a spot up shooter. I think Smith would play almost only at the "4" but would be on the wing a lot in that spot. JJ probably will have some versatility as a "3" in our bigger lineup and a "4" in smaller lineups.

Smith's game reminds me (at least his highlights) reminds me a lot of what Fizer use to do. Freelance thru the lane then attack the basket when he gets an angle.

NO I'M NOT SAYING HE'LL PUT UP MARCUS TYPE NUMBERS!!!

Reactions: isutrevman

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

Jacobson was the starter at the 4, not Leech or Anderson. Sure he’d replace their roster spot, but that’s irrelevant.
My comparison is more "does Smith make us better"? His scholarship comes directly from Anderson and Griffin transferring. That's why I'm comparing Smith to them. We are better off with the scholarship being used on him. We are getting better this off season by replacing players who transferred out with better players who are transferring in.

Comparing him to Jacobson for a prediction of whether or not next year's team will be better than last year's is valid.

We are comparing two different things.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
My comparison is more "does Smith make us better"? His scholarship comes directly from Anderson and Griffin transferring. That's why I'm comparing Smith to them. We are better off with the scholarship being used on him. We are getting better this off season by replacing players who transferred out with better players who are transferring in.

Comparing him to Jacobson for a prediction of whether or not next year's team will be better than last year's is valid.

I absolutely agree we're coming out on the plus side of the spring transfer season.

isu83

May 5, 2010

Someone tell Chris we need a wow button.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

so stop