What is your preferred internal temp on a Steak?

How do you like your steak?

• Total voters

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
That picture of rare would be medium rare in any nice steakhouse or fine dining restaurant. We call that medium rare at our house and usually cook ours just a shade more than that at home, but not quite as done as what they show as medium rare.

It's called rare medium rare and it ain't for amateurs.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I've always been told to order a steak one step up from where you want from a restaurant because they would rather throw an under-cooked steak back on the grill then an over-cooked steak in the trash.

Odd I find the opposite. They always over cook it, so if you truly want a medium rare, order it rare. order it a medium rare you well get a well done at most places.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
FYI, there is no blood in a steak or burger. What you think is blood is actually myoglobin.

If this is true, who gives a f, it's called what it's called. Just like when smoking meats, when people think the "smoke ring" is all sorts of meaning when it doesnt mean jack.

DFWClone

Aug 19, 2013
In between rare and medium rare is the way to go. I always order is rare though because I rather have it less done than over done

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Odd I find the opposite. They always over cook it, so if you truly want a medium rare, order it rare. order it a medium rare you well get a well done at most places.

I find the overcooked/undercooked depends on the quality of the restaurant. The better the restaurant, the more likely they are to undercook it because it is common for them to cook it a little more to meet the customer's preference. The lesser the restaurant, the more likely they are to overcook because they want to make sure nobody gets sick from undercooked meat.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
As others have mentioned sous vide will beat about any other way to cook a steak. It's basically like reverse sear but with precise temperature control through the whole cut. If you want a steak at 135 and cook it using any method that uses a heat source above 135 you are going to get a gradient of done through the steak. the middle will be 135 but it will gradually move from medium rare to well done as you move to the edged.

I typically sous vide at 130 for a couple hours, then I chill in a ice bath for 30 minutes or so (I skip this step sometimes) and then sear it either on a blazing hot griddle or grill to finish. Haven't had a better cooked steak.

You have to get the equipment, but you can find either Joule or Anova for under $100. It does take more time, but the time isn't active time, it's just sitting in the sous vide.

The sous vide is great for other cooking too. Most of the smoking I do I've moved to sous vide first then finish in the smoker. Way easier and ends up better in by opinion.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
As others have mentioned sous vide will beat about any other way to cook a steak. It's basically like reverse sear but with precise temperature control through the whole cut. If you want a steak at 135 and cook it using any method that uses a heat source above 135 you are going to get a gradient of done through the steak. the middle will be 135 but it will gradually move from medium rare to well done as you move to the edged.

I typically sous vide at 130 for a couple hours, then I chill in a ice bath for 30 minutes or so (I skip this step sometimes) and then sear it either on a blazing hot griddle or grill to finish. Haven't had a better cooked steak.

You have to get the equipment, but you can find either Joule or Anova for under $100. It does take more time, but the time isn't active time, it's just sitting in the sous vide.

The sous vide is great for other cooking too. Most of the smoking I do I've moved to sous vide first then finish in the smoker. Way easier and ends up better in by opinion.

Have you done larger cuts of meat for a long cook via Sous Vide. I want to try that next, but everything I see has a pretty large vessel for it, usually hacked out of a large cooler.

For steak I do pretty much the same thing. I've toying around with between 125 and 130 and then the sear with the super hot cast iron skillet with a pad of butter. Started out set ting it at 132 but found the sear cooked it too much extra, so still fine tuning that. Also I've read some good articles about how the time in the water bath effects the texture, so for most steak, an hour or two gets best results, but for tougher cuts you end up needing significant times. I think the last time I looked at doing a brisket it was 18+ hours.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Seems like the "sous vide" discussion may belong in another thread.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Have you done larger cuts of meat for a long cook via Sous Vide. I want to try that next, but everything I see has a pretty large vessel for it, usually hacked out of a large cooler.

For steak I do pretty much the same thing. I've toying around with between 125 and 130 and then the sear with the super hot cast iron skillet with a pad of butter. Started out set ting it at 132 but found the sear cooked it too much extra, so still fine tuning that. Also I've read some good articles about how the time in the water bath effects the texture, so for most steak, an hour or two gets best results, but for tougher cuts you end up needing significant times. I think the last time I looked at doing a brisket it was 18+ hours.

I've done plenty of pork butts and several full briskets in the sous vide. I have a large 5 gallon plastic rubber maid container that has a lid specifically made to fit around the sous vide (lid limits evaporation). When I do a brisket I cut it up in three chunks and it fits fine. Three chunks works great anyway. I smoke one chunk right away and then just put the other two in the freezer. When I want more it's just thaw and an hour on the smoker to finish.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I've done plenty of pork butts and several full briskets in the sous vide. I have a large 5 gallon plastic rubber maid container that has a lid specifically made to fit around the sous vide (lid limits evaporation). When I do a brisket I cut it up in three chunks and it fits fine. Three chunks works great anyway. I smoke one chunk right away and then just put the other two in the freezer. When I want more it's just thaw and an hour on the smoker to finish.

I haven't seen the rubber maid lids for sous vide, that sounds like a good solution. I know a big problem with long cooks is the evaporation. Most of the stuff I'd seen was coleman coolers hacked to fit a sous vide to control evaporation but to also keep a steadier temp. Have you had issues with that using the rubber maid? My guess is the circulator probably just runs more in a rubber maid container.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
... but for tougher cuts you end up needing significant times. I think the last time I looked at doing a brisket it was 18+ hours.
That's why smoking/low & slow bbq was started in the first place, particularly by slaves who got the worst cuts of meat. It takes a long time to break down/melt the collagen and connective tissue to make the meat tender, but anything over 250F for hours and hours would ruin the meat. So even with the improved temperature control of a sous vide, you still need hours and hours to break down the collagen. The good cuts that are used for steaks don't have hardly any collagen so they can be cooked faster at higher heat.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I have some mild PTSD from being a waiter at a somewhat high end restaurant that served steak.

Specifically people ordering well done steaks that wouldn't allow the kitchen to butterfly them and people who wanted a well done steak at light speed without it being charred.

Next on the list were people who like medium steak but order rare because they want to sound cool, then they throw a fit because they get a rare steak perfectly cooked.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I haven't seen the rubber maid lids for sous vide, that sounds like a good solution. I know a big problem with long cooks is the evaporation. Most of the stuff I'd seen was coleman coolers hacked to fit a sous vide to control evaporation but to also keep a steadier temp. Have you had issues with that using the rubber maid? My guess is the circulator probably just runs more in a rubber maid container.

See below for what I use. I was thinking I bought the lid separate but I guess it was a package. I have the 22 qt version. Note you don't get the full capacity of the container because there's a max fill line on the sous vide (at least on mine).

This container is the only method I have used so if I've had issues I don't know about them :). Your comment about the circulator was interesting. The circulator on mine runs constantly and I just assumed that was by design. I'm pretty sure that it is, but I've never run it with any other container. It's barely audible so running constantly isn't really a problem.

The Amazon link seems not to be working. Search for "
EVERIE Collapsible Hinged Sous Vide Container Lid Compatible with Anova Culinary Precision Cooker and 12,18,22 Quart "

Amazon product