HBO Max goes live today

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
2000-I'm so tired of paying $75/month to the cable companies. I want to pick out the channels I want to watch and only pay for them. I can't wait until streaming takes care of this.

YouTube TV $50/month
Netflix $13/month
Disney +$7 month
$10 extra month for your internet because you're hitting your data limits.

We've come so far....

Pretty much. People that cut the cord now have at least that much tied up in streaming subscriptions and it is a bigger PITA to navigate streaming apps as opposed to cable TV.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Pretty much. People that cut the cord now have at least that much tied up in streaming subscriptions and it is a bigger PITA to navigate streaming apps as opposed to cable TV.

You should only compare the price of the service you use to watch sports. The other streaming services are add-ons that you could have with cable/satellite. It's still much cheaper to stream. As far as ease of navigation, I don't really find one more difficult than the other.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
You should only compare the price of the service you use to watch sports. The other streaming services are add-ons that you could have with cable/satellite. It's still much cheaper to stream. As far as ease of navigation, I don't really find one more difficult than the other.

And on that note, if sports don't come back soon I'm not sure why I still pay for YTTV.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
2000-I'm so tired of paying $75/month to the cable companies. I want to pick out the channels I want to watch and only pay for them. I can't wait until streaming takes care of this.

YouTube TV $50/month
Netflix $13/month
Disney +$7 month

We've come so far....
So now you have netflix and disney and better internet and pay $5 more. Where's the problem?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I have Roku and Fire sticks on every one of my tvs. I guess I can still stream it from my phone to those devices if I really want to watch something.

I honestly don't understand AT&T's approach. If you want someone to subscribe to your streaming service, you should make it as easy as possible to acquire the app for your service. They constantly make terrible business decisions.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I'm an AppleTV guy, but feel sorry for all the Roku or Amazon fire people. Hopefully, they all get a deal worked out. In the meantime, it definitely will temper the success of their launch with such a big market segment not available. At least for some of those that own Samsung TVs, they can at least get it straight through their TV.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

YouTube TV $50/month
Netflix $13/month
Disney +$7 month

We've come so far....

Perhaps we are just finding out that making content takes some work and that costs money?

On a side note it appears that all of HBO's older shows disappeared from Prime Video. Which kinda sucks but I've watched enough.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

YouTube TV $50/month
Netflix $13/month
Disney +$7 month

We've come so far....

Because consumers have absolutely no will power when it comes to entertainment, and those who have/provide the content are quite aware of the situation...

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
HBO Now is over, this is what you have going forward.
Is that correct though? HBO Now didnt seem to replace HBOGo. I never deleted Go and they were both still current and being updated on my Fire4K. ATT needs to do some in house consolidation.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Is that correct though? HBO Now didnt seem to replace HBOGo. I never deleted Go and they were both still current and being updated on my Fire4K. ATT needs to do some in house consolidation.

Wasn't HBO Now for people who subscribed to the HBO streaming service and HBO Go for people that had HBO through a service provider? I have no idea why they needed separate apps but the apps were used by different people based on subscription type. I'm assuming HBO Max is the replacement for HBO Now but who can really predict the chaos that is AT&T.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Wasn't HBO Now for people who subscribed to the HBO streaming service and HBO Go for people that had HBO through a service provider? I have no idea why they needed separate apps but the apps were used by different people based on subscription type. I'm assuming HBO Max is the replacement for HBO Now but who can really predict the chaos that is AT&T.
Possibly. I know Now and Go were both available on my FireStick. I never really used Go after Now was enabled. Seems extremely wasteful for a private company.

Also, based on the massive backlog of Warner media on HBOMax, branding it like its exclusively HBO seems like a marketing mistake. There seems to be a ton of other stuff on their, including CBS, WB and a plethora of TBS programming.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Possibly. I know Now and Go were both available on my FireStick. I never really used Go after Now was enabled. Seems extremely wasteful for a private company.

Also, based on the massive backlog of Warner media on HBOMax, branding it like its exclusively HBO seems like a marketing mistake. There seems to be a ton of other stuff on their, including CBS, WB and a plethora of TBS programming.

I actually had both installed on my Firestick because I had to use Go when I subscribed to HBO through Hulu. When I switched to YTTV and started a separate HBO subscription, I had to start using Now. Weird to waste resources on maintaining two separate apps that were basically the same.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012

YouTube TV $50/month
Netflix $13/month
Disney +$7 month

We've come so far....

Lol are we just going to pretend that the content provided in both scenarios is the same? I don’t know the last time I bought a movie or season for a tv show, or rented anything. Also all of those streaming services can be shared with other people outside of your house. The cost of entertainment when factoring in quantity and convenience is not even comparable to the early 2000s.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So I was looking at this today. I already have HBO Now, but it’s a separate app. In my YTTV app they are asking me to trial/subscribe to HBO Max within the YTTV ecosystem. How do I get YTTV to know I’m already signed up for HBO Now?

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
So I was looking at this today. I already have HBO Now, but it’s a separate app. In my YTTV app they are asking me to trial/subscribe to HBO Max within the YTTV ecosystem. How do I get YTTV to know I’m already signed up for HBO Now?

As far as I can tell, you can't. I'm in the same boat. You would have to cancel your HBO Now subscription and resubscribe through YTTV.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
The only way you can see HBO content within YTTV is to subscribe to it from YTTV

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron