DC Extended Universe

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/h...lans-revealed-it-will-be-an-new-thing-1295102

Here is an article with a ton more details. Sounds like we are getting Snyder's original 4 hours of movie. This is quite the crazy unique story.

That’s quite the re-investment by WB to get Snyder back in the DC universe. I’m more excited that Snyder is getting back to oversee some substantial post-production work than I am with the final Justice League cut. I hope this is a sign that Snyder can come back to DC soon - perhaps with a Man of Steel sequel.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Honestly JL was such a crapshow I cannot imagine how it would be improved significantly by recutting it. Especially at a 4 hour runtime.

Edit to add: I don't like all of this "What If?" style thinking about movies now. People did it with The Last Jedi, people have done it with Rise of Skywalker, people are doing it with Justice League. I think it's unfair to guys to have people constantly second guessing them. Sometimes things that are worked on by a lot of very smart people just don't come together. It's hard to make good movies.

Last edited:

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Honestly JL was such a crapshow I cannot imagine how it would be improved significantly by recutting it. Especially at a 4 hour runtime.

Edit to add: I don't like all of this "What If?" style thinking about movies now. People did it with The Last Jedi, people have done it with Rise of Skywalker, people are doing it with Justice League. I think it's unfair to guys to have people constantly second guessing them. Sometimes things that are worked on by a lot of very smart people just don't come together. It's hard to make good movies.

I agree with this mostly. However these movies have had their issues due to mishandling of directors by the studious. I don’t blame the directors as much as I do their handlers. The directors came in hobbled and did what they could, took their millions and then walked away. They’ll be alright. If the market wants a redo, I guess it’s ok. I don’t think Whedon will honestly care too much if Zach improves it. Could flop too.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The Snyder Cut of Justice League will likely exceed $30 million to produce, according to Bob Greenblat, Chairman of WarnerMedia:

"It isn't as easy as going into the vault and there's a Snyder Cut sitting there to put out... Zack is actually building it and it's complex, including - and I don't wanna get into too much detail that we haven't already talked about yet - but, new effects shots. It's a radical rethinking of that movie and it's complicated and wildly expensive. Which is, of course, a number I won't quote... I'll just say I wish it was $30 million and stop there."

David Ayer is also campaigning to release his Director's Cut of Suicide Squad

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The Snyder Cut of Justice League will likely exceed $30 million to produce, according to Bob Greenblat, Chairman of WarnerMedia:

"It isn't as easy as going into the vault and there's a Snyder Cut sitting there to put out... Zack is actually building it and it's complex, including - and I don't wanna get into too much detail that we haven't already talked about yet - but, new effects shots. It's a radical rethinking of that movie and it's complicated and wildly expensive. Which is, of course, a number I won't quote... I'll just say I wish it was $30 million and stop there."

David Ayer is also campaigning to release his Director's Cut of Suicide Squad

While I appreciate some of his early stuff, I just have come to not really like David Ayer as a director. After hearing him talk through the years and what he has produced since with both Bright and Suicide Squad, I'm just not convinced that his take on Suicide Squad was even that much better than what we got. Therefore, while I'd watch a Suicide Squad directors cut, I'm not really clamoring to get it.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Deadline is reporting that Warner Bros and Henry Cavill are in talks to bring back Superman/Clark Kent to the big screen, although not as the lead character or in a stand-alone Superman film. Sounds like a cameo is likely, possibly in Shazam 2 or Black Adam.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Deadline is reporting that Warner Bros and Henry Cavill are in talks to bring back Superman/Clark Kent to the big screen, although not as the lead character or in a stand-alone Superman film. Sounds like a cameo is likely, possibly in Shazam 2 or Black Adam.

I was so happy to see this announced last night. The only way it could have been even better is if they also said they were for sure doing a Man of Steel 2 movie, but I'll take what I can get for now. Henry Cavill has been and likely always will be my Superman. While I've got my qualms with Snyder in a lot of different ways (I really did not like Batman vs Superman), if he did anything well in all his movies, he cast them magnificently, including Superman. Add to that how much I consider Man of Steel as the most underrated superhero movie of all time, and you can probably see how disappointed I was as they were seemingly backing away from the character. Warner Bros was a reactionary mess at the time under its management then and them backing away from Cavill wreaked of the prototypical tossing the baby out with the bathwater. Regardless, even not being the biggest Snyder enthusiast, I'll admit its pretty refreshing to see what WB has been doing lately with their DCEU moves, including the release of the Snyder cut. I'm probably as optimistic as I've been in a long time at this moment. Did I almost mention that Warner Bros finally acknowledged the DC Extended Universe name on their Warner Max service?? Shoot, maybe that should be the biggest win of all for the fans :). At least my thread title is validated now.

Attachments

• DCEU.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 1

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

There was a short DC animated film "Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam" that I always liked. Both Superman and Shazam fought Black Adam, was very cool to watch the 3 just beat the hell out of each other. That most like will never happen in the DC movie universe, but one can wish.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree with this mostly. However these movies have had their issues due to mishandling of directors by the studious. I don’t blame the directors as much as I do their handlers. The directors came in hobbled and did what they could, took their millions and then walked away. They’ll be alright. If the market wants a redo, I guess it’s ok. I don’t think Whedon will honestly care too much if Zach improves it. Could flop too.

I just don't see how it can even be coherent. They are going to throw in Darkseid? Did they film it? Is it going to be all CGI? It'd be some serious movie magic if this was even decent.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I just don't see how it can even be coherent. They are going to throw in Darkseid? Did they film it? Is it going to be all CGI? It'd be some serious movie magic if this was even decent.

They cast Darkseid I guess so we will see how they toss that in there. It can't be an all out war against him. That needs to be in a sequel or sequels just like the animateds did. Its bizarre for sure.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
They cast Darkseid I guess so we will see how they toss that in there. It can't be an all out war against him. That needs to be in a sequel or sequels just like the animateds did. Its bizarre for sure.

Based on what I've read, he isn't in it much, but rather more-so just teased at the end and maybe also showed early on in that long-term history lesson. The plan was always to build him up for a showcase in Justice League 2. Steppenwolf was always meant to be even by Snyder the main villain in this one.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/bird...ie-featuring-margot-robbies-anti-hero-a175704

Just when I start to gain some confidence in WB, I see this. You all know my thoughts by now on WB's infatuation with making Harley Quinn movies. It drives me nuts and I was hopeful we were getting past that. As a supporting character? Sure, throw her in some more movies. As the lead? Please no more. Shoot, the last one BARELY even made money with a $201 million international gross on a $85 million budget (usually double this number to include marketing costs for true budget), which I think shows how much the audience isn't exactly clamoring to see her solo outings. Rather, how about WB just gives the audience what they actually want, which is another Superman movie, a Batgirl movie, a Green Lantern movie, a Green Arrow movie, or about 20 other different characters who have yet to have their moment in the sun.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/bird...ie-featuring-margot-robbies-anti-hero-a175704

Just when I start to gain some confidence in WB, I see this. You all know my thoughts by now on WB's infatuation with making Harley Quinn movies. It drives me nuts and I was hopeful we were getting past that. As a supporting character? Sure, throw her in some more movies. As the lead? Please no more. Shoot, the last one BARELY even made money with a $201 million international gross on a $85 million budget (usually double this number to include marketing costs for true budget), which I think shows how much the audience isn't exactly clamoring to see her solo outings. Rather, how about WB just gives the audience what they actually want, which is another Superman movie, a Batgirl movie, a Green Lantern movie, a Green Arrow movie, or about 20 other different characters who have yet to have their moment in the sun.

I think this decision has as much to do with the marketability of Margot Robbie than it does with Harley Quinn. Robbie is still an A-lister, and may be one of the few actors that hasn't shown comic fatigue after her two previous outings as Harley Quinn had disappointing critical returns, but decent box office figures.

WB hasn't been very kind to actresses they perceive as aging. Charlize Theron was offended when she was asked to read for Wonder Woman - she thought she was reading for the lead, and instead WB was asking for her to star as Hippolyta (the mother figure who was eventually played by Connie Nielsen).

I think WB is trying to gain as much as they can financially by continuing to create Harley Quinn films, and it's to Margot Robbie's advantage to continue as well, as she gets a producing credit in films that Harley Quinn appears in.

I'm very excited to see James Gunn's Suicide Squad and his take on Harley Quinn and see where the character can grow from there.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I think this decision has as much to do with the marketability of Margot Robbie than it does with Harley Quinn. Robbie is still an A-lister, and may be one of the few actors that hasn't shown comic fatigue after her two previous outings as Harley Quinn had disappointing critical returns, but decent box office figures.

WB hasn't been very kind to actresses they perceive as aging. Charlize Theron was offended when she was asked to read for Wonder Woman - she thought she was reading for the lead, and instead WB was asking for her to star as Hippolyta (the mother figure who was eventually played by Connie Nielsen).

I think WB is trying to gain as much as they can financially by continuing to create Harley Quinn films, and it's to Margot Robbie's advantage to continue as well, as she gets a producing credit in films that Harley Quinn appears in.

I'm very excited to see James Gunn's Suicide Squad and his take on Harley Quinn and see where the character can grow from there.

I totally agree a lot of it has to do with the appeal of Margot Robbie as an A-list start. I even get why they gave a solo outing a shot with the Birds of Prey movie. Maybe they would have been right and it would have been successful. My biggest gripe through all of it is when after Suicide Squad, all they could talk about was Harley Quinn and all the plethora of different solo movies they had in the works for her when she wasn't even tested yet in a single solo outing yet. Well, now that she has gotten her shot and it proved not really either wanted or successful, why are we still talking about more Harley Quinn solo movies? You'd think the money would have spoken for itself with the Birds of Prey lackluster returns. With that said, I'm totally cool seeing her again in the upcoming Suicide Squad sequel. However, I just think she should be left in the future as that, a supporting character.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://dceumythic.com/2020/05/29/w...bout-releasing-the-ayer-cut-of-suicide-squad/

There continues to be more and more smoke about WB also considering the release of the Ayer Cut for Suicide Squad. Apparently, the biggest thing the Ayer cut has going for it is that the cost of release would be drastically cheaper than the Snyder Cut of Justice League, since it is already nearly a finished product. In fact, Ayers cut had been back in the day already screened with test audiences.

While I do tend to think that the Ayer cut might be a slightly better product than what we got in theaters, with what I've seen and know from Ayer's past, I'm not holding out hope it will be drastically better. At a minimum, the editing of the film should be better, as the theatrical cut editing was borderline atrocious after WB brought in that trailer company to edit the film last minute.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
On Friday, John Campea's sources were telling him that not only is JJ Abrams set to either produce or direct another Superman movie for WB, but Henry Cavill will be the Superman in that movie.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
On Friday, John Campea's sources were telling him that not only is JJ Abrams set to either produce or direct another Superman movie for WB, but Henry Cavill will be the Superman in that movie.

giphy.gif

That would be an awesome combo. It makes a lot of sense too, as Bad Robot (Abrams production company) is working on a Justice League Dark series for HBO Max, so he's been in talks with WB/DC about their future plans. I'm kind of hoping that he is leaning towards producing- I'm worried that Abrams may be walking the same path that Joss Whedon did. Whedon went from THE guy to make comic movies and he hasn't made anything since Justice League.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
giphy.gif

That would be an awesome combo. It makes a lot of sense too, as Bad Robot (Abrams production company) is working on a Justice League Dark series for HBO Max, so he's been in talks with WB/DC about their future plans. I'm kind of hoping that he is leaning towards producing- I'm worried that Abrams may be walking the same path that Joss Whedon did. Whedon went from THE guy to make comic movies and he hasn't made anything since Justice League.

I get that a lot of people have soured some on JJ's directing ability, but at this moment, I can't say I'm one of them quite yet. I loved BOTH of his Star Trek movies, really like The Force Awakens, and liked the final 1/3 of Rise of Skywalker. Therefore, that only leaves a bit of stuff I really didn't like from JJ at this point. He could prove me wrong though and understand why other's maybe don't have a whole lot of faith in him. I'm just not one of them. With that said, I'd be okay with him just producing too, providing they get another good director that I like.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/h...ng-batman-v-superman-and-wonder-woman-a175935

Can't say HBO Max is starting off on the best foot and this new news isn't exactly helping them. To kind of recap, lets add this to the following list of disappointments after launch:

-HBOMax not available on Roku or Amazon Fire Stick (two biggest streaming boxes)
-Interface is glitching and not super easy to use
-No 4K or advanced sound even available, much less at a premium charge
-Missing a bunch of movies at launch they said would be there
-Now plan on rotating around on what DC movies are available at any point in time
-Most expensive streaming service available out there
-No new original content at launch

I still truly believe HBOMax will end up working everything out and be probably one of the big 3 streaming players in the long-term (Netflix, Disney, HBOMax). They just have too much good content and IP not to (justifies their high price). The only studio that even comes close in content and IP is Disney. However, that doesn't change the fact that they aren't exactly starting off with their best foot forward.

I personally don't have HBOMax yet, mainly because I'm working through a bunch of stuff on Disney+ and Netflix right now, but I will eventually subscribe to knock out some of their content. However, unlike Disney+ for me which I'm more locked in long-term, I'll be only jumping in and out of HBOMax. Its just too expensive not to. I'm also an AppleTV guy, so I at least am good to go there when I want to from a streaming box standpoint. HBOMax really does need to get that Roku and Amazon Fire Stick thing figured out though, and soon. They at least need Roku.

Last edited: