HBO Max goes live today

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Just added to my YTTV account but I'm working today. Anyone had a chance to check it out yet?

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
I took a look at it this morning. Ton of content, but FYI you can't access it via Roku or Amazon Fire devices. Which blows my mind since that's like 40% of the market lol

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
The Ringer had a long summary article yesterday... it appears if you have HBO you should get HBO Max. Not 100% on that yet.

"So to the average consumer, “HBO Max” means three things: original content, both movies and TV shows; a prodigious back catalog sourced from WarnerMedia’s many subdivisions; and HBO proper. Subscribers to HBO’s stand-alone streaming app HBO Now should be upgraded automatically, while those who get the channel as part of their streaming package can upgrade relatively easily, unless their provider—Comcast, for example—hasn’t struck a deal with AT&T yet. "

https://www.theringer.com/tv/2020/5/26/21269909/hbo-max-preview-streaming-wars

Reactions: dawgpound

weeterkane

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2009
DM
and if you access HBO apps via Mediacom, they are not provider offering yet.

• Dumb
Reactions: Turn2

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I took a look at it this morning. Ton of content, but FYI you can't access it via Roku or Amazon Fire devices. Which blows my mind since that's like 40% of the market lol
True, but you can access on those devices through other apps (YTTV, Prime, etc.)

So HBO has 3 different streaming platforms now?
This is what AT&T does: Takes a simple product and makes it too complicated. (See DirecTV.) I'll be shocked if they don't run HBO into the ground before it's said and done, but heard they're open to selling it so we'll see what happens.

dawgpound

Retired Billy the Barnstormer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2011
Des Moines, iowa
True, but you can access on those devices through other apps (YTTV, Prime, etc.)

Not sure on that, the article I read just listed specific devices, but not services (like your YTTV). I pay for HBO outside of a service (so I had NOW previously), so I was able to access HBO Max through my PS4, but couldn't through my Amazon Fire TV

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid

This is what AT&T does: Takes a simple product and makes it too complicated. (See DirecTV.) I'll be shocked if they don't run HBO into the ground before it's said and done, but heard they're open to selling it so we'll see what happens.

I don't believe that is true. I've never been able to stream HBO content through the YTTV app.

"YouTube TV: HBO Max will be available as an add-on to YouTube TV customers at launch; users must log in separately to an HBO Max app on a supported platform."

https://variety.com/2020/digital/news/hbo-max-how-to-get-streaming-service-free-1234616599/

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
I got the prompt on Hulu today, so it looks like you can stream via Roku that way.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
2000-I'm so tired of paying $75/month to the cable companies. I want to pick out the channels I want to watch and only pay for them. I can't wait until streaming takes care of this.

YouTube TV $50/month
Netflix $13/month
Disney +$7 month
$10 extra month for your internet because you're hitting your data limits.

We've come so far....

• Funny
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron