Justin Smith

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
That seems a little sensationalized in regards to Nixon, but I agree in the implications of your premise- like Nixon, from what JCL has been, he’s likely better suited to be more of role player next year. A spot-up shooter type imo. We’re in trouble if he is in a lead guard role or hunting shots. Still, if JCL is starting, and primarily a shooter (taking good shots) he needs to hit better than what he shot at DePaul.

Nixon's problem last year was he hunted for shots even when he had Haliburton and Bolton around -- you figure the two of them would have been able to get him a few good and 1-2 great looks per game but, nah, turnaround stepback threes from 23' with a defender in your face who knows you are about to go Leroy Jenkins on us is really where the action is at. The chicks did it, and you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He was a poor outside shooter in conference play. Didn’t you post and/or imply good shot selection? He also demonstrated little non-shooter attributes.

The JCL of last year (and the 9 games of 2018-18) is too similar to Nixon. We need the a JCL from his Illinois days, if not better. You can see this in the Bart Torvik. We need Smith to be significantly better than Jacobson, he wasn’t, even with Jacobson struggling to be the small 4 next to Young. Smith should help defense, in theory, but will need to expand his game on offense and not lose his defense when under Prohm.

Is there anyone you would like? Honest question

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
You cant use the replacement property to predict success. Last year we were playing a number of underclassmen many of which had never played at the P5 level and quite frankly didnt belong on the floor. Land another immediate impact upperclassmen and you are looking at a 7-8 man rotation of upperclassmen and grown ass men all of which have a TON of experience at the P5 level. That is huge!

JCL and Smith would literally be replacing 2 seniors. And I’m saying that these guys alone won’t make ISU a tourney team. That in order to get better and make the tournament they need returnees to improve.

Reactions: aobie

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
JCL and Smith would literally be replacing 2 seniors. And I’m saying that these guys alone won’t make ISU a tourney team. That in order to get better and make the tournament they need returnees to improve.
I think everyone was under the impression our guys would need to improve this offseason in order for next year's team to be tournament level.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013

The sum is greater than it's individual parts. As it currently stands we have a much improved and more experienced roster.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
The sum is greater than it's individual parts. As it currently stands we have a much improved and more experienced roster.
Well, technically, as it currently stands, Harris doesn't have his waiver approved yet, and Smith hasn't committed to us yet. So this is a little premature.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Sour Grapes indeed.
So the writer agrees Smith was likely going to have a reduced roll, had a lot of friction with Miller, and graduated in 3 years so has the right to leave... but he still should have stayed and not "quit on his teammates" .
So by that logic if he would have stayed in the Draft he'd also a quitter?

Personally he earned the right to explore his options and find a situation that both helps his pro prospects and a system he likes by graduating.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

NENick

Feb 14, 2017
That last observation is a pretty big deal, actually. Nixon was a black hole, and disrupted the flow of the offense so much when everyone knew he was probably going to ...

I understand Nixon was not good enough, became the scapegoat, of a really poor season. And not wanting to single out this post, since there are multiple similar on this and other threads. But I disagree with the impression he wasn't a team player, was out for himself, was constantly taking terrible shots early in the clock. That ain't accurate. IMHO.

And I apologize for off-topic post.

Reactions: Lyon309Cy