Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
The hummingbirds are now chasing each other around, although they've managed to empty the vixen's nectar feeder in a week. (It probably holds a quart or so.) I'm going to try (if it ever stops ******* raining!) and get one to take nectar out of a little disc that you hold in your hand. It will take time and patience, but be so worth it.

I've also heard you can get chickadees to eat from your hand with patience. They are my favorite bird. I had one land on the bill of my cap once when I was deer hunting. I saw his little claws on the edge....and then he stooped over and looked at me upside down. Pretty cool.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
And we get much of same grouping at our feeders as you guys - house finches (tons of those), sparrows, goldfinches, cardinals, (those last two always arrive in pairs, they must be monogamous) chickadees, nuthatches, and the occasional grosbeak. We've had brown-headed cowbirds in years past.

But I get upset when the starlings show up. Don't want them anywhere near the yard! They're bullies,

Reactions: BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Left door open and now have a paper wasp buzzing around inside. Making a racket up high at the clerestory windows in the living room. At 15 feet plus off the floor it's well out of my kill zone.

Tie a swatter on the end of a snowrake pole?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Left door open and now have a paper wasp buzzing around inside. Making a racket up high at the clerestory windows in the living room. At 15 feet plus off the floor it's well out of my kill zone.

1o9ejc.jpg

Reactions: SCyclone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Had to mow at the farm on sunday. Oldest went with me, some repair guys had done some work for me but weren't finished. Had quite a bit laying around a shed. My son mowed for 2 hours with one mower, I mowed for 10 minutes with another and spent an hour and fifty minutes digging plastic and other crap out from the deck. Not been a great week so far.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I am still waiting to meet a HS guidance counselor that knows how to guide a HS kid who wants to go to college; besides telling them to look up the school on the website or ask their department. Have one now that is trying to get my daughter to take classes that don't cross over to ISU and is fighting her about the classes she wants to take. Ones I had in HS didn't know their head from their rear.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

Can you put a really long extension on your leaf vac?

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
What is the deal with people putting their dog poop in a bag.....and then leaving the bag at the edge of the trail or the trailhead or whatever? Is that a thing people think is OK now? I do not get my fellow continental North American squatters anymore. If you have a bag of $hit...human or other....and you are not on your own property, then you need to carry that bag of $hit with you. Am I missing something? Is there a bureau of composting that is happy to come pick this up later? I saw three bags on a public park grill this afternoon?!?!?
I guess at least they are bagging it....they could just let their dog crap and slink away as if nobody will see them....and I have seen that more lately too.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
What is the deal with people putting their dog poop in a bag.....and then leaving the bag at the edge of the trail or the trailhead or whatever? Is that a thing people think is OK now? I do not get my fellow continental North American squatters anymore. If you have a bag of $hit...human or other....and you are not on your own property, then you need to carry that bag of $hit with you. Am I missing something? Is there a bureau of composting that is happy to come pick this up later? I saw three bags on a public park grill this afternoon?!?!?
I guess at least they are bagging it....they could just let their dog crap and slink away as if nobody will see them....and I have seen that more lately too.

I wanted to "dislike" your post, but I am also in 100% agreement. When I lived on the other side of town, I used to jog on a path that went along the river - it was quiet and beautiful. But there was litter everywhere. I began taking a garbage bag with me and picking stuff up, because I simply couldn't stand it.

I know, I know.....I'm definitely OCPD. I just gotta live with it. :cool:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I wanted to "dislike" your post, but I am also in 100% agreement. When I lived on the other side of town, I used to jog on a path that went along the river - it was quiet and beautiful. But there was litter everywhere. I began taking a garbage bag with me and picking stuff up, because I simply couldn't stand it.

I know, I know.....I'm definitely OCPD. I just gotta live with it. :cool:
With all the walking I do and the warmer weather I see so much litter on the streets. Lots of disposable gloves and masks unfortunately. I just don't understand it. Is it that difficult to wait until you get home?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
With all the walking I do and the warmer weather I see so much litter on the streets. Lots of disposable gloves and masks unfortunately. I just don't understand it. Is it that difficult to wait until you get home?

If people are tossing them somewhere besides the garbage, they are not helping out a whole lot. They are forcing other people to possibly pick up their stuff

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I sent a check in 3 weeks ago. So far it hasn't hit the bank. I sent them an email last week asking them to verify they got it. Still no response. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
We've got the grosbeak/cardinal wars going on right now at our feeders (Mama grosbeaks ALWAYS win - even against papa grosbeaks). And there are 2 or 3 baltimore orioles and a couple of orchard orioles battling for supremacy on THEIR feeder. I had to put out a second grape jelly & orange feeder to keep them happy. We've had the sliding door to the balcony open for the past week or so - the feeders are on posts attached to the railing. Orioles & grosbeaks are VERY noisy! The cardinals only chirp when they're up in the trees.
And the hummingbirds dive bomb us every time we go out there. :D

This is the feeder we use for the orioles - full-sized oranges last about 3 days, grape jelly has to be refilled 2x daily. You're supposed to use clementines in it, but they will go through several of those a day. I've also watched the orioles try to get their fat beaks into the hummingbird feeders, but that doesn't work well for them.
clementine-2C_680x.jpg
Seems kind of cruel to tease your kitties like that.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
And we get much of same grouping at our feeders as you guys - house finches (tons of those), sparrows, goldfinches, cardinals, (those last two always arrive in pairs, they must be monogamous) chickadees, nuthatches, and the occasional grosbeak. We've had brown-headed cowbirds in years past.

But I get upset when the starlings show up. Don't want them anywhere near the yard! They're bullies,
They are also an invasive species. Drop the hammer on 'em!

Reactions: SCyclone

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Some friendly neighbor left me a nice present at my mailbox. WTF is wrong with people??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron