Justin Smith

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I would not down play the Big East last year. They were pretty solid from top to bottom. I'd rather he take good shots and shoot at a higher percentage than take poor shots and shoot at a lower percentage like Nixon did.
No one is down playing the Big East. How did you come up with that? I’m down playing that you think shooting 28% on good shot selection is a positive.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Pretty similar production, even with it being Jacobson’s worse year, MJ had better outside shooting and rebounding. Smith should be a better defender, but the reviews from some IU fans has been mixed, and does he want to be a 4/5?
I think we'd all be unanimous in who we'd rather have if MJ would've produced last year like he did his junior year, however that wasn't the case. I'm hopeful that he'll be a 4 and I would assume that's where Prohm sees him as we already have 3 C's on the roster.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
No one is down playing the Big East. How did you come up with that? I’m down playing that you think shooting 28% on good shot selection is a positive.
I'm searching and can't see where you're finding 28%. Where did he shoot 28% at?

Reactions: CyPunch

Kaner04

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2019
The athleticism between Jacobsen and Smith isn’t even close either. Jacobsen could hardly get 3 feet off the ground. A lot of Smiths highlights are soaring dunks and blocks. Would make the defense a whole lot better with him

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Smith is a 49 yard field goal as time expires in the first half to pull us within 4 points, and we get the ball first in the 2nd half. Now, who's the quarterback?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I'm searching and can't see where you're finding 28%. Where did he shoot 28% at?
He was a poor outside shooter in conference play. Didn’t you post and/or imply good shot selection? He also demonstrated little non-shooter attributes.

The JCL of last year (and the 9 games of 2018-18) is too similar to Nixon. We need the a JCL from his Illinois days, if not better. You can see this in the Bart Torvik. We need Smith to be significantly better than Jacobson, he wasn’t, even with Jacobson struggling to be the small 4 next to Young. Smith should help defense, in theory, but will need to expand his game on offense and not lose his defense when under Prohm.

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Smith averaged 10.4 points last year and shot around 50% from the floor, while Mike averaged 7.8 points last year and shot around 43% from the floor. Smith could also effectively guard a 3 and a 4 on the defensive end. Smith is better than Mike.

Although it wasn't a ton better, JCL did shoot a better percentage at every level than Nixon. Also, after watching some of the full highlights of his games last year, most of his misses came on pretty good looks that I would not mind him shooting at all. Nixon on the other hand was notorious for taking head scratching shots left and right.

Some people look for the cloud in every sunny sky. You can't convince them otherwise.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He was a poor outside shooter in conference play. Didn’t you post and/or imply good shot selection? He also demonstrated little non-shooter attributes.

The JCL of last year (and the 9 games of 2018-18) is too similar to Nixon. We need the a JCL from his Illinois days, if not better. You can see this in the Bart Torvik. We need Smith to be significantly better than Jacobson, he wasn’t, even with Jacobson struggling to be the small 4 next to Young. Smith should help defense, in theory, but will need to expand his game on offense and not lose his defense when under Prohm.
I guess I was looking at JCL's full season last year and not just the conference season. Yeah I mean I hope we don't get 28% but even watching some of those games, I would still take those misses over Nixon's misses. I'm just optimistic that he'll be better than Nixon. I had to turn off the TV a couple of times after some of Nixon's shots because I was going to break the damn thing lol.

Their shot selection is different though. Nixon shot so many 3's off the dribble, while JCL gets most of his shots from within the flow of the offense off of a pass usually.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
JCL and Smith are nowhere near a wash to Nixon and MJ...Smith and MJ offensively maybe but Smith is a far better rebounder and defender and it’s not close.. JCL will be a better shooter than Nixon..Nixon shot selection was atrocious.

Harris could be as effective scoring wise as TH was IMO..TH was too passive at times as great as his intangibles were..

JCL> Nixon
Smith> Jacobsen
Javon > Lewis

Not to mention I think 2 of the frosh will be far more impactful than any of the frosh last year..

Might want to take a look at the advanced stats on these guys. They don't have the same games but their effect on a team is about a wash. And MJ is easily the better rebounder. JCL is also an inefficient scorer even though he is a better outside shooter. And Harris is also very inefficient player. To even suggest that Harris will be just as good of scorer as Haliburton is head in the sky thinking.

If Harris is eligible and they get Smith I don't think the Freshman will be very impactful because there won't be enough minutes to go around. Jackson, Harris, Bolton, JCL, Johnson, Smith, Young, Conditt before you get to the Freshman.

ILikeCy

Dec 16, 2008
Omaha
I guess I was looking at JCL's full season last year and not just the conference season. Yeah I mean I hope we don't get 28% but even watching some of those games, I would still take those misses over Nixon's misses. I'm just optimistic that he'll be better than Nixon. I had to turn off the TV a couple of times after some of Nixon's shots because I was going to break the damn thing lol.

Their shot selection is different though. Nixon shot so many 3's off the dribble, while JCL gets most of his shots from within the flow of the offense off of a pass usually.
That last observation is a pretty big deal, actually. Nixon was a black hole, and disrupted the flow of the offense so much when everyone knew he was probably going to shoot it. If JCL is taking his shots within the flow of the offense, it keeps everyone else more engaged and active on more possessions, which is better for the offense overall.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That last observation is a pretty big deal, actually. Nixon was a black hole, and disrupted the flow of the offense so much when everyone knew he was probably going to shoot it. If JCL is taking his shots within the flow of the offense, it keeps everyone else more engaged and active on more possessions, which is better for the offense overall.
100%. Not to mention it doesn't screw up transition defense / offensive rebounding, where guys can be out of position when a bad shot is put up.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Might want to take a look at the advanced stats on these guys. They don't have the same games but their effect on a team is about a wash. And MJ is easily the better rebounder. JCL is also an inefficient scorer even though he is a better outside shooter. And Harris is also very inefficient player. To even suggest that Harris will be just as good of scorer as Haliburton is head in the sky thinking.

If Harris is eligible and they get Smith I don't think the Freshman will be very impactful because there won't be enough minutes to go around. Jackson, Harris, Bolton, JCL, Johnson, Smith, Young, Conditt before you get to the Freshman.

You cant use the replacement property to predict success. Last year we were playing a number of underclassmen many of which had never played at the P5 level and quite frankly didnt belong on the floor. Land another immediate impact upperclassmen and you are looking at a 7-8 man rotation of upperclassmen and grown ass men all of which have a TON of experience at the P5 level. That is huge!

Reactions: aauummm

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
That seems a little sensationalized in regards to Nixon, but I agree in the implications of your premise- like Nixon, from what JCL has been, he’s likely better suited to be more of role player next year. A spot-up shooter type imo. We’re in trouble if he is in a lead guard role or hunting shots. Still, if JCL is starting, and primarily a shooter (taking good shots) he needs to hit better than what he shot at DePaul.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
You cant use the replacement property to predict success. Last year we were playing a number of underclassmen many of which had never played at the P5 level and quite frankly didnt belong on the floor. Land another immediate impact upperclassmen and you are looking at a 7-8 man rotation of upperclassmen and grown ass men all of which have a TON of experience at the P5 level. That is huge!
I think this point is one of the most important. Let's just assume we get Smith as well as Harris becomes eligible. 7 out of the top 8 are juniors and seniors. 2 out of 3 seniors are in the 5th year. 1 of the 4 juniors are in their 4th year. The outlier is Jackson and then you bring in 4 talented freshman to compliment that. Love it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron