Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Speaking of — tornado warning on my phone. One on the ground near Dallas Center moving north, northwest.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I wasn’t criticizing it going off. The point is I have been inside working. I don’t know if this is something I need to get to my shelter spot or not. There were no watches even.
Well now you know its something you should look into. I've lived in Iowa my whole life. I don't panic when I hear sirens but I figure out what is going on and if I need to take shelter. Seems like they serve their purpose to me.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I wasn’t criticizing it going off. The point is I have been inside working. I don’t know if this is something I need to get to my shelter spot or not. There were no watches even.

There's a tornado watch. These things can fire up quickly.

Maybe when you hear the sirens pull up an app or website to find out what’s going on? Most apps will give you notifications.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Can you hear the sirens in your house, with the windows closed, TV on, probably kids making noise as well?

I did yesterday. That said, I don't know why anyone would be bothered by them.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
KCCI used to have their actual radar on their app and website. Now you can't find anything that isn't computer modeled junk. They are general estimates of where the rain is instead of the actual radar.

For a radar app I would HIGHLY suggest RadarScope. Will cost you $10 but it gets you exactly what you are looking for and much more.

As far as wanting to know why the sirens are going off. Get an app that will alert you or turn on the TV. That's what you are supposed to do.

My only gripe is when the sirens go off when the tornado warning barely clips the county i am in and the storm isn't tracking towards my town.

That bugs me too and is a county by county issue. The bigger one that drives me nuts is when stores keep you locked in there or whatever in the exact same situation. Reminds me of a time I about went nuts when we were in Target. NWS warned on a brief spin in up in Walker move NE. For those that don't know or don't want to look it up Walker is literally on the county line of northern Linn and southern Buchanan. CR was never in the warning or in any danger but Target kept us in there.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Well now you know its something you should look into. I've lived in Iowa my whole life. I don't panic when I hear sirens but I figure out what is going on and if I need to take shelter. Seems like they serve their purpose to me.
The point is WTF do you do when it is right on top of you. You issue watches and warnings to make people alert and paying attention. You sound the sirens or you need to have something else when it’s a get to your shelter situation.
Today and last night were proper uses of the sirens IMO. They were immediate shelter situations. The problem is they keep trying to make it a hey pay attention thing.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The point is WTF do you do when it is right on top of you. You issue watches and warnings to make people alert and paying attention. You sound the sirens or you need to have something else when it’s a get to your shelter situation.
Today and last night were proper uses of the sirens IMO. They were immediate shelter situations. The problem is they keep trying to make it a hey pay attention thing.
If you're this incapable as an adult maybe you kind of deserve to blow away in a tornado.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
There's a tornado watch. These things can fire up quickly.

Maybe when you hear the sirens pull up an app or website to find out what’s going on? Most apps will give you notifications.
What I love is Urbandale2013 heard sirens and first thought was to use the internet to go to CF and b!tch about it, not actually find out what's going on.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
For a radar app I would HIGHLY suggest RadarScope. Will cost you $10 but it gets you exactly what you are looking for and much more.

As far as wanting to know why the sirens are going off. Get an app that will alert you or turn on the TV. That's what you are supposed to do.
I do have apps that are supposed to send me alerts. Both today and yesterday I have been before they have anything on them. So there is a tornado on the ground and no suggestion of anything.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
What I love is Urbandale2013 heard sirens and first thought was to use the internet to go to CF and b!tch about it, not actually find out what's going on.

I thought the same. Personally I’d check out KCCI or WHO first, but what do I know

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
No my first thought was to figure out what was going on. The problem was nothing was out there yet.