Star Wars Expanded Universe Thread

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Kids and I are doing a quarantine Star Wars since mid-March. We've done episodes 1-7. Will start The Last Jedi tonight and then finish up with Rise of Skywalker next.

What's next after this? Rogue One? Solo?

Both are towards the top of my starwars movie lists. Id also recommend the clone wars and rebels tv series if you want watched them. Tons of story and fill in some blanks between movies.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-...homework-with-star-wars-the-last-jedi-a175076

Sam Witwer just did an interview laying out his thoughts on The Last Jedi. Like I kind of laid out recently for myself, Witwer probably does a better job of relaying my sentiment as well. For those who love The Last Jedi. Good on you. I'm glad you enjoy it.

I think it's an ironic argument - his position is that Rian Johnson didn't know Star Wars well enough and shouldn't have taken the risks he did. As an example he says that there was no good argument for why Luke wouldn't have gone to help Leia.

Ironically, this very argument shows his own lack of knowledge of Star Wars and the old EU/"Legacy" Cannon (or illustrates that his own personal take is highly subjective). It was common plotline in the early EU novels set in the approximate equivalent time of TLJ that Luke was off doing his own thing, living as a hermit. It was probably 50/50 if Luke was available to help the rest of main cast.

I think it's fine if that doesn't work for you, or for Sam Witver and there's always debate about the authority of the old EU. But Luke's decision to go off on is own is something that was clearly lifted from the old EU and therefore is firmly rooted in Star Wars. Luke's plot in TLJ was lifted from the Jedi Academy and Thrawn novel series. The argument that Luke's plot does not match Star Wars requires you to ignore large amounts of officially published Star Wars material. Luke's arc always had to include him becoming disillusioned and a hermit, coming around at the end and learning the error of his ways. In my view, Luke's character arc is the one thing the new trilogy did right.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
The one thing I hate about the debate over the Last Jedi: it takes away from how excellent Rogue One was. That movie is the best Disney-Star Wars film and shows that you don't need a trilogy of films or even a Jedi character to tell a Star Wars story. Now is the time for a Top Gun-style Rogue Squadron movie.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
The one thing I hate about the debate over the Last Jedi: it takes away from how excellent Rogue One was. That movie is the best Disney-Star Wars film and shows that you don't need a trilogy of films or even a Jedi character to tell a Star Wars story. Now is the time for a Top Gun-style Rogue Squadron movie.

Awww Rogue Squadron. Such an amazing N64 game

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I loved that game. The Hoth level is an all timer, although I think there were 3 or 4 games that had a Hoth level where you "lassoed" an AT-AT. Rogue Squadron was also one of my favorite legends books in the X-Wing series.

Shadows of the Empire on N64 was the first time I played the Hoth level. It's amazing just how many games feature the Battle of Hoth

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
The best Star Wars movies are the ones where you have fewer space wizard ninjas. Three seems to be the max before it gets stupid.

Also we need a Rogue Squadron movie.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Shadows of the Empire on N64 was the first time I played the Hoth level. It's amazing just how many games feature the Battle of Hoth

While Shadows of the Empire on the N64 isn't necessarily my favorite Star Wars game of all time, and I really haven't played that many, it truly was groundbreaking and blew my mind at the time when it came out. As a kid, I thought it was the coolest thing ever, and it went along pretty much with the launch of the N64, which I also thought was the coolest thing ever.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Robert Rodriguez and Ant-Man director Peyton Reed have directed episodes of The Mandalorian S2

Wowsers, they are getting big names to direct episodes in The Mandalorian. Its almost like the series has become the perfect place for all these different directors to tip their toes into Star Wars a bit to fulfill all their childhood fantasies. In Episode 1 of the newly dropped Mandalorian making-of documentary, this sentiment comes across as well. With that said, has anyone else watched episode #1 yet? While I have my criticism of the structure of the episode, I loved learning more about all the directors. While I was impressed in different ways by all of them, I can't help but love Deborah Chow especially. She is super impressive, and it helps that her couple episodes she directed in S1 might be my two favorite episodes. She is quite the boss and I can't wait to see her direct the Obi-Wan series. The episode also continued to feed into my sentiment that I want Jon Favreau to become the next head of Lucasfilm, which they almost seem to be grooming him to do. Shoot, have him and Filoni tag-team it in some way. Make Favreau head and Filoni head of creative or something.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
I'm interested to see what Taika Waititi can bring to the Star Wars universe. I really enjoyed the IG-11 character and would love him to play another droid character: HK-47 for instance.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I'm interested to see what Taika Waititi can bring to the Star Wars universe. I really enjoyed the IG-11 character and would love him to play another droid character: HK-47 for instance.
I'm excited to see what he does. Thor Ragnarok was awesome and the finale of Mandalorian was brilliant. I still think we are headed for a bunch of films set in the High Republic, so maybe he will helm the inaugural film for that. I don't know how the guy finds time to do everything he has committed to.

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Is anyone watching the Mandalorian Disney gallery? Dave Filoni blew my mind today in like the last 10 minutes of the episode. He did a deep dive into the “dual of the fates” from episode one. The guy should be running Star Wars.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
Is anyone watching the Mandalorian Disney gallery? Dave Filoni blew my mind today in like the last 10 minutes of the episode. He did a deep dive into the “dual of the fates” from episode one. The guy should be running Star Wars.
Thanks for the reminder that is a thing. Hopfully the success of Mandalorian and Clone Wars puts the reigns in Filoni's hands. Kathleen Kennedy can handle the purse strings.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA

Yep, that Qui Gon, Obi-wan stuff was mind blowing and reminds us how much thought George Lucas put behind things. Super touching.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Thanks for the reminder that is a thing. Hopfully the success of Mandalorian and Clone Wars puts the reigns in Filoni's hands. Kathleen Kennedy can handle the purse strings.

I would love to see Filoni named as like the creative lead for all things Star Wars. That said, I'm very excited about the direction of the universe with Taika and Leslye Headlund.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
trovs6sbvlizssqlyk8h.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron