Best Places To Live Near DSM?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
not house related but curious since you've talked about this other threads - are you staying with the same company and they've let you go remote now? Or new job?

Thanks for paying attention :)

The short answer is, it's in the works. I asked my current company to go remote before COVID and they said they would consider. I'd like to believe the WFH thing with COVID has proved my case, but I haven't revisited it with them. I'll probably bring it up again later this year once things move back toward normalcy.

I also had another company that was hot to hire me. They were 100% on board with a remote arrangement from Iowa. They actually sent an offer last week and are aggressively trying to hire me. I'll probably defer them until later as it just seems unwise to make a job change right now. I'd like to at least get an understanding of how my industry will be impacted by the larger economic impacts before considering such a change.

Barring huge economic downturn that impacts us, we've set a line in the sand to say we're doing this. Our next move is back to central Iowa. Just have to figure out how to get it done.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah in my head I was thinking Waveland, Waterbury, Ingersoll, etc. I just assumed he didn't want to be in the city.

I should've stated that better. We'd prefer to not be within the larger DSM metro, but we're not opposed to it. The right neighborhood could entice us to live in the city. Thanks for the recommendations.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
You'd have to add 15 minutes to your drive time (airport is 50 minutes, costco (WDM) 1 hr), but you might consider Pella, stable small town with employers that support community and activities (Pella corp., Vermeer Corp. PPI, Van Gorp.) Many old houses, (active historical society) as some upper income engineers have moved to developments around Bos Landen golf club. Very strong 3A school system, with AP courses in conjunction with Central College. (Not one school levy has gone down since I've lived here). Home of Tulip time, many volunteers in the event (I drive a float LOL). Boating Biking and outdoor stuff at Lake Red Rock. Know some ISU people who have come here as they ended successful careers around the world, returning to Iowa, as well as many who have careers going at Vermeer etc. I drive my wife nuts as I often leave doors unlocked and car keys in the car. We have season tickets to ISU, DSM civic center, and DM metro opera (minivan for tailgate), and attend many local Central college and local community theatre productions. Anyway, IM not the chamber of commerce; nor was I in sales so thats enough.

I've heard great things about Pella, but I've also heard it's tough to be an outsider in Pella. Menaing, the community so so strong that if you come from elsewhere and are not already part of the Dutch/E-Free culture, you struggle to get connected. Was that true in your experience?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I've heard great things about Pella, but I've also heard it's tough to be an outsider in Pella. Menaing, the community so so strong that if you come from elsewhere and are not already part of the Dutch/E-Free culture, you struggle to get connected. Was that true in your experience?
I think that would be a fair way to describe it from the people I know from there.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think that would be a fair way to describe it from the people I know from there.

I have a friend who lives in Sioux Center and described a very similar experience. He's very engaged and part of the E-Free/Dutch culture, so it was easy for him and his family to connect. But he mentioned how their community has recognized recently how they've been tough on "outsiders" and need to be more open to others if they want their community to grow.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don't think it's uncommon in smaller towns to have the "townie" thing, with families who've lived there for generations and as a result feel a little entitled.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Thanks for paying attention :)

The short answer is, it's in the works. I asked my current company to go remote before COVID and they said they would consider. I'd like to believe the WFH thing with COVID has proved my case, but I haven't revisited it with them. I'll probably bring it up again later this year once things move back toward normalcy.

I also had another company that was hot to hire me. They were 100% on board with a remote arrangement from Iowa. They actually sent an offer last week and are aggressively trying to hire me. I'll probably defer them until later as it just seems unwise to make a job change right now. I'd like to at least get an understanding of how my industry will be impacted by the larger economic impacts before considering such a change.

Barring huge economic downturn that impacts us, we've set a line in the sand to say we're doing this. Our next move is back to central Iowa. Just have to figure out how to get it done.

best of luck!

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much...

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
What about Waveland neighborhood? Neat old homes, neighborhood culture, and midway between WDM and downtown. That's where we'd live if we moved to DSM

Waveland area, Windsor Heights are good locations if you want a nice area, nice old home, convenience to WDM yet still having some stand-alone town features.

When my kids were little we lived in Windsor Heights in a great 1940s house. Lots of houses from the 1920-1950 era that are very nice and really well built. It was a great place to live, but ended up working in Ames and moving here. If I worked in the DM metro would move back there in a heartbeat. You can walk to take care of almost all daily business. It's a little light on local events, but it is a great place to live, great houses available for really good prices. Schools are either Roosevelt or WDM depending on where you are located. Private school options like Dowling and DM Christian are close too. However, when we talked to lots of people with kids in school we probably would've just sent our kids to Roosevelt had we stuck around.

We looked at the same types of things but wanted to be within 20-30 mins. The problem we've found is the small towns in Iowa tend to MOSTLY be either 1. close to a metro and are new construction build-outs or 2. have lots of old houses but are losing population and businesses.

I'm in a 1920s house in a great neighborhood in Ames. Even if I had regular needs to get to WDM or Urbandale (or the airport) I wouldn't trade it for any of the other options outside the DM Metro.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I have heard good things about Winterset.

When I moved back to DSM around 14 years ago lived in the Country Club neighborhood on west side of DSM. Great area for biking/jogging. Quick drive to downtown or Jordan Creek area.

Schools are solid Merrill and Roosevelt. A downside is city of DSM property tax rates.

Lexclone

I survived the 2023 ad invasion
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2013
Massachusetts
Tier 1: Van Meter, Panora, Granger, Cumming are some of my favorite small towns convenient to DSM.

Tier 2: Dallas Center, Cambridge DC is kind of dead but they do have a nice pool and it’s now on the bike trail.

Tier 3: Adel, Perry, Huxley

Good list. A couple of observations, I think Perry has been on the decline from what it was but still could be considered.

Tier 1,000,000: Madrid?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Every time I get close to Cumming, it feels like the right place to be.

I would try that first.

Reactions: CascadeClone

JH4ISU

Mar 27, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I should've stated that better. We'd prefer to not be within the larger DSM metro, but we're not opposed to it. The right neighborhood could entice us to live in the city. Thanks for the recommendations.

If you end up looking in the city I'd add Beaverdale to the list of neighborhoods to look at. I've lived here almost 5 years now and have loved it. Lots of nice 1930s era brick houses, nice neighborhood, a nice walkable little shop/bar/restaurant district, and several neighborhood events during the year.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If you end up looking in the city I'd add Beaverdale to the list of neighborhoods to look at. I've lived here almost 5 years now and have loved it. Lots of nice 1930s era brick houses, nice neighborhood, a nice walkable little shop/bar/restaurant district, and several neighborhood events during the year.
My only problem with the Beav is that A LOT of houses are at best single stall garage. So if you have kid's crap, you have zero garage.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Good list. A couple of observations, I think Perry has been on the decline from what it was but still could be considered.

Tier 1,000,000: Madrid?
Very familiar with Perry. They are great about doing community events and have a pretty nice downtown area/main street. They have some beautiful old houses along Willis Ave. But their dept store just closed so it is quite a pain to get anything you'd normally buy there.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Tier 1: Van Meter, Panora, Granger, Cumming are some of my favorite small towns convenient to DSM.

Tier 2: Dallas Center, Cambridge DC is kind of dead but they do have a nice pool and it’s now on the bike trail.

Tier 3: Adel, Perry, Huxley
I would swap Cambridge and Huxley, though I'm not sure I'd consider either as standing on their own for amenities.