Tornado sirens and how kids today are soft

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I didn't know there was a difference between outdoor and get to the basement sirens, never heard of that. What is the difference?

Can you hear the sirens in your house, with the windows closed, TV on, probably kids making noise as well?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
This isn't targeted at you, but this is the biggest BS answer that comes out. Tornado sirens have always been shelter alerts for people up until they started turning them on for everything. You want to know what the outdoor warning sirens are? The outdoor warning sirens are the clouds in the sky. People who are outside don't need the warning so much. The people who need the warning are the people who are inside minding their business not paying attention to what is going on outside because they are inside.

No offense taken but humans are well humans. In a perfect world we wouldn't need slogans like "turn around don't drown" or "when thunder roars go indoors" either. I agree there is range of variability in what sirens are sounded for. Linn county is tornado warnings only. Johnson county is tornado warnings and severe thunderstorm warnings with possible winds over 70 MPH.

Another variability is in places like Linn and Benton counties (not sure about Buchanan and Black Hawk) there is a dual purpose of the sirens with the nuclear power plant and at least at one time they were not owned by the counties but by the power plant. The county could set them off on their own but it makes funding maintenance and upgrades a little more tricky.

Woman killer?

Damn right it is.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
This is literally one of the stupidest things to ***** about - it doesn't even inconvenience you, and you're welcome to go ahead and ignore the sirens.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
No offense taken but humans are well humans. In a perfect world we wouldn't need slogans like "turn around don't drown" or "when thunder roars go indoors" either. I agree there is range of variability in what sirens are sounded for. Linn county is tornado warnings only. Johnson county is tornado warnings and severe thunderstorm warnings with possible winds over 70 MPH.

Another variability is in places like Linn and Benton counties (not sure about Buchanan and Black Hawk) there is a dual purpose of the sirens with the nuclear power plant and at least at one time they were not owned by the counties but by the power plant. The county could set them off on their own but it makes funding maintenance and upgrades a little more tricky.
I agree that people are dumb, but we shouldn't be targeting stuff to them because frankly no matter what we do they will be dumb. At a point you have to leave it up to Darwinism and focus on saving other people.

I guess most of my frustration stems from what basically has seemed like an extreme shelter for everything mentality. Heck you can't even get real radar anymore. I say that as someone whose shelter place is a closet in the garage with the water heater. It isn't somewhere that I can just go. If I want to be able to watch TV coverage I have to be up a level with almost zero shelter. I'm not going to go try and fit in there every time they set the sirens off right now. I also have a cat that I'm watching right now so I would have had to go find the cat and try and stick him in there with me.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
This is literally one of the stupidest things to ***** about - it doesn't even inconvenience you, and you're welcome to go ahead and ignore the sirens.
It is far from stupid to complain about, because when people ignore it it is a safety issue. As I just said I can't go hide in my shelter spot for everything. I'm fearful of when it will actually be a dangerous situation and I am not alerted to it.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I agree that people are dumb, but we shouldn't be targeting stuff to them because frankly no matter what we do they will be dumb. At a point you have to leave it up to Darwinism and focus on saving other people.

I guess most of my frustration stems from what basically has seemed like an extreme shelter for everything mentality. Heck you can't even get real radar anymore. I say that as someone whose shelter place is a closet in the garage with the water heater. It isn't somewhere that I can just go. If I want to be able to watch TV coverage I have to be up a level with almost zero shelter. I'm not going to go try and fit in there every time they set the sirens off right now. I also have a cat that I'm watching right now so I would have had to go find the cat and try and stick him in there with me.

Curious about your "we don't even have real radar anymore" comment.

I see what you mean though on the sheltering front. I don't shelter for everything and I personally don't think it is warranted for most severe thunderstorm warnings. Unless there is wind driven hail or confirmed damage coming towards you I wouldn't worry about sheltering. As far as the cat goes...it's a cat. Our dog will come with us as it never really leaves my side but the cats are on their own. If we have time to grab them great.

The big thing is get the warning via siren, app, TV, Radio etc. Get more info on what is happening and then make a decision. I will say download the TV stations apps or even better if you use a streaming service for TV have their app downloaded and watch on your phone while you are sheltering.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It is far from stupid to complain about, because when people ignore it it is a safety issue. As I just said I can't go hide in my shelter spot for everything. I'm fearful of when it will actually be a dangerous situation and I am not alerted to it.

I think it's rare enough that it should be alarming when the siren is going off.

Car alarms are similar for me except more common--when was the last time anyone ran up to a car with the alarm going off because they thought something awful was happening as opposed to being annoyed at the sound?

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Eh, I get the "boy who cried wolf" aspect of tornado sirens but you can't just not sound them when a confirmed tornado is on the ground.
There was a whole lot of sarcasm in my post. And I’m one who doesn’t have any problem whatsoever if they sound sirens when 60+ mph winds are about to come through. If people don’t take it serious that’s their problem.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I mean you're free to ignore the siren. Seems like it's mostly just a "hey go look at your tv or computer to see if it applies to you" situation. If you want to not shelter don't shelter, youre an adult.

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
My only gripe is when the sirens go off when the tornado warning barely clips the county i am in and the storm isn't tracking towards my town.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
I mean you're free to ignore the siren. Seems like it's mostly just a "hey go look at your tv or computer to see if it applies to you" situation. If you want to not shelter don't shelter, youre an adult.

Depends where you're at. Where I live, they are based on a tornado warning polygon. So if you hear one, it's for you.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Yep. We heard them go off in the Waveland neighborhood, so we checked to see where the tornado was spotted and then just moved on. Mild inconvenience but I'd rather have it than not.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

I see what you mean though on the sheltering front. I don't shelter for everything and I personally don't think it is warranted for most severe thunderstorm warnings. Unless there is wind driven hail or confirmed damage coming towards you I wouldn't worry about sheltering. As far as the cat goes...it's a cat. Our dog will come with us as it never really leaves my side but the cats are on their own. If we have time to grab them great.

The big thing is get the warning via siren, app, TV, Radio etc. Get more info on what is happening and then make a decision. I will say download the TV stations apps or even better if you use a streaming service for TV have their app downloaded and watch on your phone while you are sheltering.
KCCI used to have their actual radar on their app and website. Now you can't find anything that isn't computer modeled junk. They are general estimates of where the rain is instead of the actual radar.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Depends where you're at. Where I live, they are based on a tornado warning polygon. So if you hear one, it's for you.
Oh i 100% take it seriously because I am a functioning adult. I am just saying there's no one forcing others to.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

For example they are going off now. Who the hell knows why.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
This isn't targeted at you, but this is the biggest BS answer that comes out. Tornado sirens have always been shelter alerts for people up until they started turning them on for everything. You want to know what the outdoor warning sirens are? The outdoor warning sirens are the clouds in the sky. People who are outside don't need the warning so much. The people who need the warning are the people who are inside minding their business not paying attention to what is going on outside because they are inside.

Eh...the day tornados ripped through Bondurant and Marshalltown, I stood out my front door in Ankeny and saw a prefectly calm day with blue skies. Would have never known the wiser had it not been for sirens.