Iowa Football Recruiting

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
Weird, because i've seen on here multiple times that Hawk fans are claiming the DeJean kid is a 4*, but his composite has him as a three star....interesting

Link a post of me saying that. I am excited about DeJean though, he is gonna be a stud.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Iowa's offense put up 35 points in the bowl game. How is that possible with an offense that had 2 players that looked good, one that looked terrible and the rest that were not memorable?

I mean Fat Stanley was good I was just talking about returning guys. Who else am I missing?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
They don't seem to try to even have an identity there. They don't recruit size and rely on TE's for that but then just seem content to go after possession type WRs that don't make plays
Both Brandon Smith and ISM made some pretty good plays last year dude. The bigger issue is that the style Iowa plays in and the QB they had didn't allow them to have consistent numbers throughout the year.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
I think Iowa has some good weapons, I just don't think they use their weapons well consistently. I'd probably link that mostly towards their scheme.

Yeah it is scheme related. Iowa is gonna use ball control and defense to win 27-24 rather than using a wide open offensive scheme hoping to win game 42-41.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Both Brandon Smith and ISM made some pretty good plays last year dude. The bigger issue is that the style Iowa plays in and the QB they had didn't allow them to have consistent numbers throughout the year.

Those two wouldn't be top half of the Big 12 in terms of WRs

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I think you can see the changes Brian is making are starting to pay off. Iowa has explosive playmakers all over the field now. You got Goodson, Smith, Smith Marsette, and Tracy that all can make a big play at any time.
There have been changes, but Kirk won’t let him scrap what has made him successful for over 20 years.

It’ll be tough for them to put up top 60 numbers, doesn’t mean they will be bad though I suppose.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
There have been changes, but Kirk won’t let him scrap what has made him successful for over 20 years.

It’ll be tough for them to put up top 60 numbers, doesn’t mean they will be bad though I suppose.

Exactly. Look at what Iowa did vs USC. They scored TD's the first 5 times they had the ball. After that they just use defense and run the clock to win. Then you look at the box score and USC has more total yards, but Iowa destroyed them in every manner imaginable. That is KF football, and like you said, KF has done that for 20 years, that aint a changing.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
LOL all you want, KF has been doing it 20 years, did it vs USC and will continue to do it til he retires. He wins football games doesn't worry about running up stats to do so.

Basically Iowa has all this offensive talent but they just choose not to use it

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah it is scheme related. Iowa is gonna use ball control and defense to win 27-24 rather than using a wide open offensive scheme hoping to win game 42-41.
Every team is going to run a scheme that the coaches believe is in the best interest of the team. If that means they're going to use ball control then so be it. If that means they're going to have an up tempo offense, great.

I'm guessing Iowa wished they had a better offense against Penn State and Michigan no different than I bet Iowa State had a better defense against Oklahoma and Baylor last year.

The best teams in the nation have adapted to more high tempo spread offenses and look at the success they've had. Clemson, LSU, OU, Ohio State, even Alabama. I'm not saying one way is better than the other but don't act like Iowa's offense is somehow morally better because they don't rack up yards and points every week and play a methodical style.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Those two wouldn't be top half of the Big 12 in terms of WRs
Yeah no sh** they're playing for Iowa lol. We have no clue what they'd look like if they were on a team that prioritizes getting the ball to their receivers in space and letting them make plays.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Every team is going to run a scheme that the coaches believe is in the best interest of the team. If that means they're going to use ball control then so be it. If that means they're going to have an up tempo offense, great.

I'm guessing Iowa wished they had a better offense against Penn State and Michigan no different than I bet Iowa State had a better defense against Oklahoma and Baylor last year.

The best teams in the nation have adapted to more high tempo spread offenses and look at the success they've had. Clemson, LSU, OU, Ohio State, even Alabama. I'm not saying one way is better than the other but don't act like Iowa's offense is somehow morally better because they don't rack up yards and points every week and play a methodical style.

Iowa would rather lean on a small, slow RB like Goodson for ball control instead of try to score points with their dangerous offense

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
You must not be able to read. I use all the data. There are 5 BCS bowl metrics that were used back in the day to select the National title game. Sagarin is just one of them, and Twins Cherry picked that one. I use all of them and I always say that the majority of them (3 out of the 5) say Iowa's SOS was tougher.

How is that not using facts? Sure they are facts that you don't like, but those the facts man.
Dude, i'm not talking about SOS. I don't give a rats a$$ about it. Hence why I haven't entered the discussion about it. Does it have it's place? Yes. But to Iowa and ISU SOS have been similar the last 4-5 years. I'm talking in general how you and @Brodie0 spew off other garbage that isn't backed by anything. Like your comment about the BIG10 west being super strong (which I honestly can't believe even you believe that. Were they strong last year? Yes. But they are and have been a powderpuff) and that you need to be ranked 15 and up to even finish third. That was an outright lie.