Iowa State University - Des Moines presence

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cypow

Apr 27, 2020
Des Moines University selling its original campus presents an interesting opportunity for a small satellite campus. If not a satellite campus, perhaps now is a good time to consider expanding ISU's presence with a larger space in downtown Des Moines.

Thoughts?

Avoid satellite campuses at all costs? Shun physical buildings and focus on an online future? Potentially intriguing investment?

BTW, this conversation can go beyond the DMU property. I'd be interested in hearing general opinions on a true Des Moines satellite campus.

Perhaps, rather than a campus, a standalone, upscale building would be more appropriate? (Think University of Chicago's Gleacher Center just north of the Loop)

EDIT:
A great article on flagships and satellite campuses from the chancellor of UC Berkeley:
https://chancellor.berkeley.edu/chancellors/berdahl/speeches/future-of-flagship-universities
I wish I had read this before posting. Highly recommend reading if you have the time.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Des Moines University selling its original campus presents an interesting opportunity for a small satellite campus.

Thoughts?

Avoid satellite campuses at all costs? Shun physical buildings and focus on an online future? Potentially intriguing investment?

BTW, this conversation can go beyond the DMU property. I'd be interested in hearing general opinions on a true Des Moines satellite campus.

Perhaps, rather than a campus, a standalone, upscale building would be more appropriate? (Think University of Chicago's Gleacher Center just north of the Loop)

Didn't the TOE try this with AIB?

Reactions: CycloneErik

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Regent university enrollment is finally tapering off after a decade of booming growth. I think the campuses might end up being somewhat overbuilt by 2030. There’s probably no need for another campus given population trends in the state and the possible increase in distance learning.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Regent university enrollment is finally tapering off after a decade of booming growth. I think the campuses might end up being somewhat overbuilt by 2030. There’s probably no need for another campus given population trends in the state and the possible increase in distance learning.
While I agree I do think ideas to expand the footprint of graduate programs would be good. Making it easier for working professionals to do masters degrees or something would be beneficial.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Seems like a great time to try this, what with the economy doing so great and the state flush with cash.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I’m trying to be convinced there won’t even be an ISU if there is no football season this year.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

And if you look at the population rates, there may be a huge dip in enrollment in about 5 years. Combine that with the current trajectory of the world, and I agree with you.

The only way there is a huge uptick in enrollment is if enough small colleges crash in the next few years (very possible) that the state schools sop up that extra enrollment.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
Given the whole work/school from home global experiment currently, I think now would be a bad time to look at increasing physical asset support costs.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Care to expand on this? I'm not familiar with the situation.

Several years ago, it appeared the funding formula for Iowa's public universities might be changed so that the funding would be tied directly to the number of Iowa residents enrolled at each institution. In other words, our tax dollars would follow the Iowa residents.

This change would have been a windfall for ISU and horrific for Iowa. So Iowa tried to pull a fast one by cutting a secret deal to "annex" AIB and have all the AIB students turn into University of Iowa students overnight, significantly increasing Iowa's resident enrollment.

Since the beginning of time, ISU has always enrolled more Iowa residents than any other university, and taking over AIB was Iowa's way of competing for Iowa resident enrollment.

Unfortunately, the legislature did not approve this funding formula change.