4077th

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I'm currently watching MASH all the way through for the first time. My parents watched it when I was a kid, but I don't remember much. I'm about midway through season 9 right now. I liked Blake and Trapper. The series was more "fun" when those guys were on the show. More about drinking and hooking up with the nurses. I'm enjoying the later seasons, too, it's just different. Hawkeye is a lot more serious now. BJ's puns (and the "Peg-this and Peg-that") and Potter's country bumpkin act are getting a little old, too. I appreciate Burns' character and Linville's acting, but man he was an unlikable character. Winchester is really growing on me. I'm looking forward to the finale. I honestly don't know what happens, but I've heard people reference it as one of the best show finales ever.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
There was an episode where Billy, a former U of I, tailback was wounded and lost a leg. Radar said something to the effect he knew all about him.

I always liked Radar the most but I thought the move to make him more innocent and naive was a bad move.

In the movie and the earliest episodes, Radar drinks, smokes, etc. He's a scamp.

Most underrated character in television history.......Col. Flagg.
LOVED Flagg.
I guess my preference for Klinger over Radar in the long run is the fact that Klinger had time to develop his character and make it more rounded, less cartoonish. I also preferred the Radar of the movie and the very early seasons. He just got too watered down.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
My favorite show of all time. Love the movie and the original TV cast. I was never a huge Charles fan. So many great episodes.

5 o'clock Charlie - the count off
Private Charles Lamb- Radar sending the lamb back to Iowa to be his little brother. Henry, "I gave a discharge to a sheep."

Countless other classics.

Reactions: dosry5

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Looking back at MASH now I'm amazed by all the cameo appearances or small parts played by actors that eventually became more memorable for their work later in their careers.

Ned Beatty
Blythe Danner
Brian Dennehy
Andrew Dice Clay
Ron Howard
Shelby Long
Leslie Nielsen
John Ritter
Patrick Swayze
Jeffrey Tambor
Joan Van Ark
George Wendt
Bruno Kirby
Ed Begley
Joe Pantoliano
Rita Wilson
Mike Henry

You can also add former NFL players turned actors Alex Karras and John Matuszak.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Looking back at MASH now I'm amazed by all the cameo appearances or small parts played by actors that eventually became more memorable for their work later in their careers.

Ned Beatty
Blythe Danner
Brian Dennehy
Andrew Dice Clay
Ron Howard
Shelby Long
Leslie Nielsen
John Ritter
Patrick Swayze
Jeffrey Tambor
Joan Van Ark
George Wendt
Bruno Kirby
Ed Begley
Joe Pantoliano
Rita Wilson
Mike Henry
I remember most all these but not Andrew Dice Clay. Now I need to find that episode.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I remember most all these but not Andrew Dice Clay. Now I need to find that episode.
Trick or Treatment - S11, E2:
MV5BOTg5MGRhYmUtNGI5OC00NDVlLWExNGYtMDVkZjQwYzllNjcxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjAwODA4Mw@@._V1_.jpg

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Nope

The Beverly Hillbillies

The reason I like this bit of trivia is MASH and TBH are viewed as two different eras. Yet TBH ended and CBS filled the empty slot with the new show MASH

It was called the rural purge. Mayberry RFD, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, TBH, etc... All got the boot.

ESciGuy

Mar 16, 2010
Joliet, IL
Gotta disagree here. It was quite good at first, but Hawkeye's preachiness became overbearing. And the finale sucked! Had tickets for TP & the HB's, with Nick Lowe opening. Scheduled for same night as MASH finale, pre-DVR days. Initially to be in Hilton, then moved to CY Stephens as ticket sales tanked due to MASH. Eventually cancelled :mad:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Gotta disagree here. It was quite good at first, but Hawkeye's preachiness became overbearing. And the finale sucked! Had tickets for TP & the HB's, with Nick Lowe opening. Scheduled for same night as MASH finale, pre-DVR days. Initially to be in Hilton, then moved to CY Stephens as ticket sales tanked due to MASH. Eventually cancelled :mad:

The finale did not suck. That was 1 uncomfortable man hug between 2 guys that had been through a lot.

I will say that one of the most iconic scenes of the series was when Radar came into the OR to announce that Colonel Blake had died. Apparently the whole cast did not know that part of the script so the reactions were real and genuine

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
There as also a series "After MASH" I discovered later. Potter and Klinger were the main characters. I can see why it didn't last long.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Finale was mucho disappointing. Overall an incredible show, but yes, the finale sucked and they tried too hard with Hawkeye the last couple seasons. Still overall my favorite show of all time.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids

Ned Beatty
Blythe Danner
Brian Dennehy
Andrew Dice Clay
Ron Howard
Shelby Long
Leslie Nielsen
John Ritter
Patrick Swayze
Jeffrey Tambor
Joan Van Ark
George Wendt
Bruno Kirby
Ed Begley
Joe Pantoliano
Rita Wilson
Mike Henry

Laurence Fishburne had a small part in one episode as well. Season 10. Tom Atkins was the "bad guy" in the same episode.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Yeah, those would be my choices.

Also, Gonzo should be the only person who chooses Radar; Radar's a hawkeye fan.

He's also from Ottumwa, though that's a point of pride for me

He may have been a "Hawkeye Pierce fan," but I have no recollection of Radar being Hok fan. Link or get a permaban.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Oh, please, tell me it isn't true. Maybe Radar was just a knowledgeable football fan. :(

Radar recognized Tyler as having played at Iowa. Knew his credentials (All-American) and stats (Big Ten rushing leader). It's not surprising that a kid from Ottumwa would know these things.

He also cheered for Iowa to beat Minnesota (listening on Armed Forces Radio), and saved a copy of Life magazine that had a story about that game.

Take from that what you will.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Radar recognized Tyler as having played at Iowa. Knew his credentials (All-American) and stats (Big Ten rushing leader). It's not surprising that a kid from Ottumwa would know these things.

He also cheered for Iowa to beat Minnesota (listening on Armed Forces Radio), and saved a copy of Life magazine that had a story about that game.

Radar was so pure and innocent. Now to think that he had been defiled as a child Hok fan. It is truly a sad day.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

You’ve ruined MASH. I hope you’re happy.