What is your business idea?

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
My idea was to have a store that specialized in tailgating supplies. (portable grills, games, etc.)

My other idea was to create a website similar to Pinterest, but a more masculine focus (woodworking, BBQ, mechanical-type stuff).

Reactions: Cycsk

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have 2 service industry ones but I’m don’t have the expertise to pull it off.
NY style deli/bagel, I think there is enough crossover to consolidate both businesses into one. At the very least, I would like to see a breakfast cart for students making breakfast sandwiches and burritos. That I could probably pull off due to the little overhead.

my other is dog park cafe. A place you could walk your dog to, sit down and have a drink, alcohol, coffee, tea while your dog runs around chaperoned by team members or walk around with your dog and mingle with guests. Agility courses, grooming, homemade treats, there is a lot of addition revenue streams that could be tied with it. Biggest problem with this one is the seasonality and long winters here in Iowa.

https://barkbar.com/

My wife and I visited here when on a business trip. Had a garage door between the inside outside with doggy doors in case the door needed to be shut. We have wanted one of these in Des Moines for a long time. It was such a cool atmosphere. Pay to get your dog in the door $5 or something like that, then all drinks served in plastic cups etc. It was fantastic. (Plus Yuengling on tap doesn't hurt either.)

There's one in Dallas too - https://muttscantina.com/

It's chaos but I'm glad they did it. The same owners have a different bar less than a block away that was getting overrun with dogs (huge outdoor space with concerts and whatnot) so they made one that's far more dog friendly. Both dog lovers and people who aren't win.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Forewarning: Unless you loudly declare "COPYRIGHT!" while hitting 'Post Reply' on your business idea response your business idea is now public domain and ripe for the taking.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
https://barkbar.com/

My wife and I visited here when on a business trip. Had a garage door between the inside outside with doggy doors in case the door needed to be shut. We have wanted one of these in Des Moines for a long time. It was such a cool atmosphere. Pay to get your dog in the door $5 or something like that, then all drinks served in plastic cups etc. It was fantastic. (Plus Yuengling on tap doesn't hurt either.)
Love it! How much do you want to invest?

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
We got three in for dog park cafe. Let’s do it clone4L! I can put together a business plan with a little guidance. What does a bar need to make in Des Moines to be profitable? Above average liability insurance I’m guessing.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
We got three in for dog park cafe. Let’s do it clone4L! I can put together a business plan with a little guidance. What does a bar need to make in Des Moines to be profitable? Above average liability insurance I’m guessing.
non-covid crowds?

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
I was planning on starting a residential and commercial moving company.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I know it will never happen on my end because of the funds required but my wife and I have talked for years now about how Ankeny needs that small town feel ice cream shop. There’s a DQ, rolled ice cream, marble slab (crazy expensive) and the place from Indianola which is still expensive and not that good. We go all the way to Grimes to get ice cream to get that price and feel.

We would have no problems executing but don’t have the funds to do it.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
My Powerball business idea is to set up a sustainable farming operation. Meat, dairy, vegetable garden, fruit trees, etc. Everything anyone would need. And then I'd make complete food baskets to sell at a local farmers market (at cost), but most would be donated to local food pantries.

ItI think a lot can be fixed with healthy food for all.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I always thought of starting a pork tenderloin sandwich shop in the city where I live. If you ask for a pork tenderloin sandwich here, they look at you funny cause they've never heard of such a thing. I tried ordering pork tenderloins from a butcher to make my own. I gave explicit instructions how to make them. What I got was pork cutlets because they never followed the instructions, but did what they were used to doing.

I got the same funny look when I first moved here when I ordered a vegetable burger. A vegetable burger here is a burger made without meat, not a hamburger with lettuce, onion and tomato.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I’m going to have a store that sells **** Iowa merchandise.

That's actually on my list of businesses to open when I win the lottery.

1. Ready mix company
2. F Iowa Store
3. Animal Rescue
4. PAC to make ads against political people I don't like
5. Adult entertainment venture :)
6. Not-for-profit to help people get access to the topic which shall not be spoken of

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron