Most Random Place You've Run Into A Cyclone Fan

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
February 1997. In the middle of the Australian Outback. Stopped at literally one of the only gas stations between Alice Springs and Ayers Rock. Had on my ISU tee and one of the employees/family members who lived there and ran the place had some sort of history with ISU. At this point I don't remember what it was. But seemed extremely random to me at the time.

More recently last Fall in Binghamton NY. Went to a minor league hockey game with a couple of buddies. Between periods I see a guy with an ISU cap on in line for a beer (surprise!). I had on a random sweatshirt but after I yelled at him, I pulled it up to reveal my ISU tee underneath.

Reactions: cyclones500

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This game would be a lot less fun for hawk fans. America is covered with Walmart’s

I don't have a Cyclone version of this answer, but sadly I have a hawkeye one. In 2010 I was working on a remote project in Ontario (see map). I am literally in the middle of nowhere. 90 miles from the nearest town, an hour from even having cell service. So remote that my company built a "man camp" style dormitory for all of the staff and workers to live while we were building this project.

There are something like 700 people on site. I go into the cafeteria one night, and damned if a guy doesn't have an iowa hawkeyes shirt on. My response was "of course."

smoky falls.jpg

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don't have a Cyclone version of this answer, but sadly I have a hawkeye one. In 2010 I was working on a remote project in Ontario (see map). I am literally in the middle of nowhere. 90 miles from the nearest town, an hour from even having cell service. So remote that my company built a "man camp" style dormitory for all of the staff and workers to live while we were building this project.

There are something like 700 people on site. I go into the cafeteria one night, and damned if a guy doesn't have an iowa hawkeyes shirt on. My response was "of course."

View attachment 72108
Cockroaches can live almost anywhere

Reactions: CloniesForLife

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
In Disney World last fall I had 3 "Go State!" encounters in Magic Kingdom in one day. I also had 2 Disney employees on that same trip think my Cy shirts were of a Louisville Redbird and they started talking my ear off about how beautiful Kentucky is.

Best one was Amsterdam in the summer of 2018. We walk into a random cafe to grab some lunch and the hostess was from Burlington, IA, and her boyfriend had gone to Iowa State.

When we were at Disney, they guy checking lines at space mountain was an ISU grad.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Wife and I were at the San Diego Zoo about 6 years ago. We were both wearing Iowa State gear, standing in line to do something or other, and a guy who was working at the zoo was driving by on a golf cart, saw us and practically screeched his cart to a stop. Jumped off and came over to us and started talking about how he never sees anyone with Iowa State gear on and had to chat us up. He was working there as a vet, I think....he talked about having gone to VetMed at ISU. Nice guy.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Another one. On an airplane going somewhere about 5-10 years ago. Guy sees my ISU jacket and chats me up. He used to play hockey for one of the Dakota teams. Played in Ames against An Fu Wang in the early 90s, remembered the great crowd and great teams.

"More fights! Less Hockey!" for those that were there in those days. Among other NSFW chants...

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Inside Bannerman Castle on Pollepel Island in the Hudson River. I was wearing my Iowa State hat. Another gentleman who was there recognized the logo and told me he graduated in landscape architecture at Iowa State in the 1980's.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Another one. On an airplane going somewhere about 5-10 years ago. Guy sees my ISU jacket and chats me up. He used to play hockey for one of the Dakota teams. Played in Ames against An Fu Wang in the early 90s, remembered the great crowd and great teams.

"More fights! Less Hockey!" for those that were there in those days. Among other NSFW chants...

The ref and sheep had a truly unholy relationship in those days....

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I see them randomly in airports all they time, and you always have to stop and chat about it a little bit. Most random one was probably the airport in Nadi, Fiji.

CyFanInChiLand

Jul 14, 2009
New Orleans
Casco Viejo area of Panama City Panama. Actually walking up to it from the fish market.

Medellin Colombia

Wuxi China

Iceland (I wont even begin to try and spell the cities name)

I tend to run into fans everywhere I go.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
We were on an ISU alumni cruise from San Diego to Miami through the Panama Canal in April 2019. No, those aren't the cyclones we met - although we had a great time getting to know some of those folks, especially Peggy Johnson (Jeff's wife). She's a hoot!
No, we were in Cyclone t-shirts wandering around the ship taking pictures with "the boys" (the small mascot dolls we pose for pics because we don't like to be IN pictures). We were approached by an elderly couple who were also Cyclones (but not with our group). In the course of the conversation he mentioned that he played ball while there, back in the '40s. I asked if he played football, baseball or basketball. He said basketball. His wife elbowed him and told us he was a hall of famer. Lemme tell ya, Ray & Ginny Wehde are one of the funnest couples - we had lunch with them a couple of days later and laughed the whole way through it.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Casco Viejo area of Panama City Panama. Actually walking up to it from the fish market.
Medellin Colombia
Wuxi China
Iceland (I wont even begin to try and spell the cities name)
I tend to run into fans everywhere I go.
This. If you're wearing Cyclone gear, they approach you. I do the same. :)

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
About ten (?) years ago, we were in the little coastal town of Mendocino, California, which is about four hours north of San Francisco on CA Highway 1. While in a furniture shop, we noticed an older gentlemen eyeing us, which we thought was weird. After a few minutes, he finally walks up and asks what the I-State on the sweatshirts we were wearing stood for. When I said, "Iowa State," he stuck out his hand and introduced himself, class of '58 (the last year of ISC). Said he hadn't been back since he graduated, so he had a lot of questions about what the university and Ames were like now. Had a nice 15 minute or so chat with the guy.

I see far more hok than Cyclone gear away from the midwest, but I always ignore them.