Most Random Place You've Run Into A Cyclone Fan

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I'm pretty sure I told this story on here before.

• Ran into Jeff Hornacek's wife and daughter, Stacy and Abby, at The Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC. Was wearing Iowa State gear eating brunch with a friend and Stacy striked up a conversation. They were there for a girls weekend

• Not a random place but I was working at a customer site with a coworker that I'd been on several projects with. The customer and I started talking college football, they were a USC fan, and I started saying I was an Iowa State fan yada yada. This coworker who has seen me wear Iowa State stuff before, talked about Iowa State before pipes up and says... "you know I graduated from ISU in 1984?" and I was like "DUDE?! WTF?! Why are you just telling me now?" Apparently he doesn't care about sports at all and always tuned out when I talked sports and didn't know the new logo.

Other places I've run into:
  • In Bermuda in the middle of February. Both there for work.
  • At an airport lounge in Frankfurt Germany, ran into an ISU newlywed couple that was going through Europe for their honeymoon
  • Lots of random TSA agents in the country have had family who went to ISU
  • Hotel pool in Italy. Old couple that had graduated in the 60s

Reactions: CyDude16

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
oh, greenbow alabama too

back in the mid-late 60s

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Multiple times on the beach in Negril, Jamaica. In line to see the crown jewels at the Tower of London.

Running in the neighborhood - older couple who graduated together. Usually just Badger gear around these parts.

Reactions: ianoconnor

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Glacier National Park - Hurricane Ridge.
At a Dwight Yoakam concert at a Napa valley winery.
I'm sure there are others I'm not recalling.

Javinegli

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Had a good one at Disney World. Dad said his son was getting recruited by us, which led me to ask, he ended up at Notre Dame.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I've probably had some I can't remember off the top of my head but one more recent that stands out was Jameel McKay on my flight from Des Moines to Salt Lake City back in 2016. This was early June I think so my guess he was flying for a workout before the NBA draft. Didn't notice him until we went to offboard the plane. We both were headed the same way in the terminal and I just said "hey Jameel, go Cyclones" and flashed my phone that had a ISU cover on it. He gave me a thumbs up then asks me if I knew what way a gate he was headed to which I had never had been in that airport and told him I have no idea I'm just headed to find the nearest airport bar for supper and some drinks for a 2 hour layover.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I've probably had some I can't remember off the top of my head but one more recent that stands out was Jameel McKay on my flight from Des Moines to Salt Lake City back in 2016. This was early June I think so my guess he was flying for a workout before the NBA draft. Didn't notice him until we went to offboard the plane. We both were headed the same way in the terminal and I just said "hey Jameel, go Cyclones" and flashed my phone that had a ISU cover on it. He gave me a thumbs up then asks me if I knew what way a gate he was headed to which I had never had been in that airport and told him I have no idea I'm just headed to find the nearest airport bar for supper and some drinks for a 2 hour layover.

SLC airport and trying to find a bar with open seats, name a worse duo. They renovated that airport for the Olympics and I can't believe that's the design they went with. It's beyond crowded now, couldn't imagine during that time.

They're rebuilding it entirely and should open this year, I'm very excited.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Tom, ****, and Harry Mountain in Oregon. (its a real place! good view of Mt Ranier)

I was hiking back down from the summit, and a woman saw my ISU windbreaker and stopped me, she was from Iowa. Had a grandkid at ISU IIRC.

Even crazier, she was from Bernard and went to high school with my mom, although a different class. Ended up talking for 10-15 minutes. Smallest of worlds.

Edit: LOL on the name of the mountain being blanked out. Here's a link:
https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Tom_Dick_and_Harry_Mountain_Hike

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Was in Myrtle Beach at the bar at the hotel getting food. Minding my own business and two people wearing cyclone gear sit down next to me, only other people in the bar with me.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I was climbing Annapurna without oxygen in, oh gosh it must have been '72, and I'm on lead with my sherpa right behind me. We were just below the summit and I look up through the mist and I see two middle aged women decked out in head to to cyclone gear having a picnic at the summit with their husbands and listening to a cyclones football game. I think the Clones were playing Alabama that day.

At first I thought I was dreaming, because the story is to crazy to be true, but I **** you not - Marge and Rose said they've been coming there for 25 years to listen to games and tailgate on top of that mountain. I wonder if they're still doing it?

Random, if you ask me.

Reactions: Cycsk

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
In Disney World last fall I had 3 "Go State!" encounters in Magic Kingdom in one day. I also had 2 Disney employees on that same trip think my Cy shirts were of a Louisville Redbird and they started talking my ear off about how beautiful Kentucky is.

Best one was Amsterdam in the summer of 2018. We walk into a random cafe to grab some lunch and the hostess was from Burlington, IA, and her boyfriend had gone to Iowa State.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I'm pretty sure I told this story on here before.

• Ran into Jeff Hornacek's wife and daughter, Stacy and Abby, at The Hominy Grill in Charleston, SC. Was wearing Iowa State gear eating brunch with a friend and Stacy striked up a conversation. They were there for a girls weekend

• Not a random place but I was working at a customer site with a coworker that I'd been on several projects with. The customer and I started talking college football, they were a USC fan, and I started saying I was an Iowa State fan yada yada. This coworker who has seen me wear Iowa State stuff before, talked about Iowa State before pipes up and says... "you know I graduated from ISU in 1984?" and I was like "DUDE?! WTF?! Why are you just telling me now?" Apparently he doesn't care about sports at all and always tuned out when I talked sports and didn't know the new logo.

Other places I've run into:
  • In Bermuda in the middle of February. Both there for work.
  • At an airport lounge in Frankfurt Germany, ran into an ISU newlywed couple that was going through Europe for their honeymoon
  • Lots of random TSA agents in the country have had family who went to ISU
  • Hotel pool in Italy. Old couple that had graduated in the 60s

Put the moves on Abby? Shoot your shot at least?

RylChf25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 1, 2019
Been on a couple of cruises during spring break/tourney time. It’s amazing how many other ISU fans you’ll run into on a random cruise ship in the middle of the ocean that are also trying to find a tiny TV to watch games on.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Mission trip in Kenya a few years ago. Went to a market in Nairobi and some Iowans saw my ISU shirt and stopped to talk for a bit. They didn’t really say they were ISU fans but they were way too nice to be Hawks

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I was climbing Annapurna without oxygen in, oh gosh it must have been '72, and I'm on lead with my sherpa right behind me. We were just below the summit and I look up through the mist and I see two middle aged women decked out in head to to cyclone gear having a picnic at the summit with their husbands and listening to a cyclones football game. I think the Clones were playing Alabama that day.

At first I thought I was dreaming, because the story is to crazy to be true, but I **** you not - Marge and Rose said they've been coming there for 25 years to listen to games and tailgate on top of that mountain. I wonder if they're still doing it?

Random, if you ask me.

How the **** did they get a cyclones radio signal from there?!