Friday OT #2 - The Projects

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Have you been working on any quarantine projects during this time?

I gardened for the first time in my life, and am trying to make our front lawn presentable. We got some furniture for our front porch to try and complete the look. I also got a buffet for my Mother's Day project that was a project for Janny and the kids to put together, but I've been decorating around it, and in our bedroom. I also have done a few little art projects - photography, a decoupage tray, some embroidery.

Have you started or completed anything?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Have you been working on any quarantine projects during this time?

I gardened for the first time in my life, and am trying to make our front lawn presentable. We got some furniture for our front porch to try and complete the look. I also got a buffet for my Mother's Day project that was a project for Janny and the kids to put together, but I've been decorating around it, and in our bedroom. I also have done a few little art projects - photography, a decoupage tray, some embroidery.

Have you started or completed anything?

I've been lucky enough to work every day, so no projects.

I have next week off for vacation though, so weed pulling and mulch are at the top of my list (along with a few rounds of golf).

Reactions: Angie

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We have not been happy with the existing small crappy garden so I built a raised bed and we are using that now.

The big project was taking out a decent sized area of river rock, replacing with soil and seeding with grass. I am very happy that is done as we have been wanting to do it for a few years and it was a pain.

In the course of that project we found a bunch of limestone paver things under the deck that MrsWx wants to use to make a path to the garden....so I started on that a little last weekend.

We have also had a new sliding glass back door installed and are getting a new roof and gutters today thanks to a recent hail storm.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Wife and I are both essential so we've been working during the week. I have been doing some weekend projects here and there. Wife wanted a new ottoman/coffee table so we repurposed an old, old kitchen table (the kind that had a draw for silver wear in the table) and upholstered it. I put lattice up around the base of my deck and will be replacing all of the deck boards soon. Starting to rip out the decorative rock bed on the front of the house to put mulch down and landscape.

I've also played a lot more video games than I usually do.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I have been able to maintain my work schedule (just not at the same building), so I don't have any more free time than I used to. But I have been working on yard projects that were neglected by the previous owner, including removing junk vegetation, terracing a berm in the backyard, planting as many lilies and other things that look interesting as I can put into a particular space. But that's about it.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I became a poor man's plumber. Learned how to fix/replace handles, flush valves, fill valves ect. I'm sure this is super easy for most, but was nice to not have anyone enter our house especially as it was early on during quarantine.

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I've gotten so bored on the weekends that I've started thinking about doing this... And I've convinced myself that I could build my own cabinets. I know it's not going to end well.
Place I recently moved into had a kitchen from the 50s yet. Rent is very cheap and the place is getting gutted if I ever move out so I'm fixing up some of it. I'm building my own cabinets.

Reactions: GMackey32 and Angie

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Place I recently moved into had a kitchen from the 50s yet. Rent is very cheap and the place is getting gutted if I ever move out so I'm fixing up some of it. I'm building my own cabinets.
Our house was built in the 50s or 60s and it's the only part of the house that's not updated. Pretty sure it's the original cabinets in the kitchen. I know they updated the flooring and countertop at some point, but never installed a dishwasher. I'll paint you a picture of what the kitchen looks like: Wood grain linoleum flooring, Wood cabinets, Wood grain laminate counter top o_O

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Our house was built in the 50s or 60s and it's the only part of the house that's not updated. Pretty sure it's the original cabinets in the kitchen. I know they updated the flooring and countertop at some point, but never installed a dishwasher. I'll paint you a picture of what the kitchen looks like: Wood grain linoleum flooring, Wood cabinets, Wood grain laminate counter top o_O

Ha! I have a house built in the mid 80’s that has the fake butcher block counter. I hate it.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Ha! I have a house built in the mid 80’s that has the fake butcher block counter. I hate it.
This was from the day we moved in and started working the house. We've painted and gotten a new ceiling fan and fixtures. But the "triple wood" look is in full effect. Its so painful to look at lol.

Attachments

• kitchen.JPG
    kitchen.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 21

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
400 block landscape retaining wall. Next will be two privacy fences (going to create a poll for this one!)

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Took out a fake culvert thing and put in a flower bed. Put in raspberry beds (need to finish). Getting bids for a patio redo/expansion.

But we're both still working FT and parenting a toddler so we are crazy essentially.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Wife and I bought our first house two years ago. Only three of the outlets in the house are grounded. I would like to go around and GFCI the outlets we use the most.

Our driveway is two-thirds concrete, but the last third is a mixture of dirt and some gravel. That part of the driveway floods every time the skies sprinkle rain. Really would like to get that filled in.

I'm biting off more than I can chew. I know it.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Nothing of note both of us are still working regular hours, wife from home and me still going into the office so haven't had much additional free time as we're both tired out and at times stressed too with all the additional things put on our plate while this situation is going on. My wife especially has had to keep our kindergartner occupied and then on days she doesn't have a ton of calls and meetings we keep the 3 year old home from daycare too so usually by the time I get home she is ready for a break and a cold beverage. Took Tuesday off so I'm hoping I can carve out some time over my 4 day weekend to finally organize my garage that is a mess right now so guess that kind of qualifies but not really because it needs done at some point regardless.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wife and I bought our first house two years ago. Only three of the outlets in the house are grounded. I would like to go around and GFCI the outlets we use the most.

Our driveway is two-thirds concrete, but the last third is a mixture of dirt and some gravel. That part of the driveway floods every time the skies sprinkle rain. Really would like to get that filled in.

I'm biting off more than I can chew. I know it.

One suggestion as a time saver for the GFIs. You can get breakers that have that built in. While not as nice or as good, it is a good way to cover your bases to ensure you have them quickly.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I painted a bathroom, planted a garden, and started playing some old computer games I remembered liking as a child in some spare time. Like the sims and roller coaster tycoon.

What will happen next. The exterior paint on my aluminum siding is flaking off so next project will probably be to strip all the paint. The visible bare aluminum siding is a nice shade of grey so I doubt I will repaint. At least not at this time. Getting house reshingled too, and need to clean out/replace the gutters unfortunately the roofing guys that will be doing my house don't do gutters too.

What I want to happen. Build a patio in front of my house and knock out the wall between the living room and kitchen in my house. Then paint and put in some new floors throughout most of the house.