Academic Calendar for Fall Semester

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Part of the pressure is that the first day of class is the day after the State Fair is scheduled to end. I don't think ISU does this unless the Fair gets cancelled, and I don't think it will be cancelled.

Pretty much everyone I knew in school from a rural community was either personally involved in the Fair or covered for/helped friends or family who were.

Some have lined up internships that run up until a couple days before class starts. Need to decide soon or it could cause issues there. Along with some losing summer income they were counting on to pay their schooling.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Doesn't a typical 3 credit class meet for 150 or 160 minutes a week (MWF from 10:00-10:50, TuTh from 1:10-2:30, etc.)? And there are 15 weeks of class plus a finals week.

Starting on 8/10 and doing finals the week before Thanksgiving leaves 14 weeks for class. If the thrice-weekly classes had 55 minute windows, and the twice-weekly had 85, you'd still have the same amount of instructional time. Just re-do the scheduling blocks and push classes into the evening just a little bit.

Or... just pretend that 14 weeks will be equally as good as 15.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
It's a minor thing but that would mean even a few more weeks without having students at the MBB games. Would hurt the atmosphere. Guess should state if full attendance is allowed by then.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
The elementary i worked at my last few years converted their gym into classrooms with temporary dividers due to lack of space. it wasn't great but it would probably be better with college students.

It's possible. It's also possible you have some classes interrupted by a voice like mine saying, "And then they gouged out his eyes because, well, of course they did."

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Doesn't a typical 3 credit class meet for 150 or 160 minutes a week (MWF from 10:00-10:50, TuTh from 1:10-2:30, etc.)? And there are 15 weeks of class plus a finals week.

Starting on 8/10 and doing finals the week before Thanksgiving leaves 14 weeks for class. If the thrice-weekly classes had 55 minute windows, and the twice-weekly had 85, you'd still have the same amount of instructional time. Just re-do the scheduling blocks and push classes into the evening just a little bit.

Or... just pretend that 14 weeks will be equally as good as 15.

I screwed up class times on occasion when they were 1:10 or 2:20. Having a 2:35 and a 3:40 would drive me batty.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Call me crazy but Hilton makes some sense to me. The huge lectures in Howe? With 400 students in them? Consolidate 2 or 3 of those sections into a single section with the professor on the video boards.

Fact of the matter is this is going to be a school year unlike anything Iowa State has ever faced. Solutions are going to come in ways that sound ludicrous but are the best that can be done under the circumstances.

You are correct - Hilton and Scheman would be used for large lecture hall classes, not classes of 20 people.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If the guidelines continue of 10 or less in a room, you have to add more sections and the only way to add more sections is at night or on the weekends.
rough year to be an underclassman.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
When I was at ISU I had to walk 2 miles to every class, uphill both ways. Depending upon the season it was either 108 in the shade, pouring down rain or snow blizzard with below zero windchills. EVERY DAY.

Lived at the Towers. Had many classes in Kildee Hall. And it really is uphill both ways. Down Welch and then up the hill by Lake LaVerne. And then downhill by Lake LaVerne and up Welch. Winter was brutal. No CyRide back then.

Reactions: Sparkplug

SayMyName

Jan 28, 2017
ABQ
Just one question, Why?
Is it really that difficult to comprehend? Common sense would predicate these reasons (among others):

1. Wider community spread (and likely higher probably for diverse exposure) as students travel away for break and then gather back together on campus for those final 2 weeks.
2. Potential increase in virulent disease efficacy/ potency during the onset of season change & colder weather (think similar to influenza).

Not exactly rocket science here.