Woodworkers Thread

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
Can someone advice me on table saws? I think this is the next thing I’m gonna invest in. I am thinking I will buy a used one first and see how much I use it but maybe that’s a bad idea.

I have a SawStop cabinet saw which I would highly recommend depending on anyone's budget. Alternatively, I would search for a good used contractor's saw, especially an older 10" Delta. With patience, finding one for $500/less should be your goal. I don't have experience with Rigid (Home Depot) which gets quite a few recommendations. Some look for an older Unisaw (Delta) but they're more scarce. My SawStop and older Unisaws are 220 V, so keep an eye out on that. You'll find the table saw is the basis of your shop. Good luck searching. Let us know if any further questions.

Reactions: Acylum and JM4CY

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
The fence is why I got rid of mine and got a sawstop. The saw itself was good. But that fence....prior to any project I had to true it up. But still, better than any used and beat up craftsman or delta I could find of Craigslist. Heavy stable saw, dead flat top. Put a good blade on it and I’d take it over a new Dewalt any day of the week.
If it wasn't for that fence you wouldn't be able to find a better saw for the money. I got the fence as trued up as I can. I'd just buy a Biesemeyer fence for it but they cost almost what I paid for the saw. I just can't bring myself to do that.

Reactions: dosry5

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
I’ve had that rigid saw for 8 years or so and the fence sucks. I’m getting a sawstop once I get my truck paid off.

I have the same rigid one now, it took me a while but I got it dialed in pretty well. I just had to adjust the table and blade, re level the wings and fence extrusions, re line it up to a miter slot, and shim one side. Needless to say I am selling mine and getting a sawstop in the next 6 months or so.

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
My latest project was a headboard that I started over a year ago in a different house in my old shop. It is sanded and finished OSB panels in a black structure with shelves, outlets, lights, and hidden storage. I also built a ramp for the dog, he's an older guy.

Attachments

• Main.jpg
    Main.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Ramp.jpg
    Ramp.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Side 2.jpg
    Side 2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Top 2.jpg
    Top 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Acylum

CyJeans

Apr 18, 2017
Beaverdale, IA
If it wasn't for that fence you wouldn't be able to find a better saw for the money. I got the fence as trued up as I can. I'd just buy a Biesemeyer fence for it but they cost almost what I paid for the saw. I just can't bring myself to do that.

I looked at the fences as well but the cost definitely didn't seem worth it.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
I tried using my 1/4 shank router with just a straight bit on poplar, wasn't powerful enough. I do have an old 1/2 shank router though, no bits for it, but I just ordered a table saw so I might try that first.

Note with your smaller router you don't have to cut it all in one pass. You should be able to get by.

That said you are going to want an router that can handle that in one pass eventually.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Can someone advice me on table saws? I think this is the next thing I’m gonna invest in. I am thinking I will buy a used one first and see how much I use it but maybe that’s a bad idea.

If you are serious about woodworking this is a place to spend some money. Used isn't a bad place to start, but I would get something that works well. Having a crappy table saw with a bad fence could turn you off of woodworking pretty quickly.

I have a Grizzly cabinet saw and I love it. At the time I bought it it was by far the most cost effective solution to get into that level of saw. It's been a while though and I'm not sure how that changed. The Sawstop saws were either not an option or barely an option at the time, but they certainly look like a good option now.

I looked at the fences as well but the cost definitely didn't seem worth it.

The fence makes the saw in my opinion. Spend extra here to make sure you are happy. I dropped mine a while back and while I have it dialed in as far as being square, but it doesn't slide/lock as smoothly as it used to and it's really annoying. Also if there was one thing I'd change about my saw it would be probably 5-6" more fence capacity (I did get wider than standard). I'm sure it's the type to thing I'd always want more than I have but I feel like I very often want to rip something about 2 inches wider than I can.

Reactions: JM4CY

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
Tablesaws are kind of like trucks... Everyone has a strong opinion on brand, style, etc. If you're doing true furniture/cabinet making, you'll need a good saw (probably a cabinet saw). For standard carpentry work, a contractor saw should be fine. With some tuning, you can get good results from a contractor saw.

I have a grizzly cabinet saw. Great saw, but they aren't very mobile, take up a ton of space and are quite expensive.

Align your saw with your needs and expected use.

Attachments

• image0000001.jpg
    image0000001.jpg
    407.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Reactions: JM4CY

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
In my experience every fence should be checked front and back of the blade after you change it. I've never met a perfect fence but I'll keep it in mind.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Tablesaws are kind of like trucks... Everyone has a strong opinion on brand, style, etc. If you're doing true furniture/cabinet making, you'll need a good saw (probably a cabinet saw). For standard carpentry work, a contractor saw should be fine. With some tuning, you can get good results from a contractor saw.

I have a grizzly cabinet saw. Great saw, but they aren't very mobile, take up a ton of space and are quite expensive.

Align your saw with your needs and expected use.

That's the fanciest cabinet saw I have ever seen. Which Grizzly model come with the built in microwave? Is there a beer fridge option?

ISU_phoria

Apr 10, 2006
Andover, MN
That's the fanciest cabinet saw I have ever seen. Which Grizzly model come with the built in microwave? Is there a beer fridge option?

You should see my miter saw stand...has a built-in big screen & surround sound!!

But seriously...a good table saw was crucial to build that new kitchen island

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
My personal table saw is a 1977 10" Craftsman that I have rebuilt a couple of times with new motors, mounts, base. About the only thing original is the table frame and blade mount. If you REALLY want nice, you need to use some industrial equipment. We have a couple of motorized, digital Altendorf saws at work. They supposedly hold within 0.003". Key in the dimension and the saw sets itself up. I have used them for cutting up scrap laminate panels at work to take home for "government" projects. Oh, and they have a scoring blade to score the bottom of the panel (reverse rotation) so there is no chip out on the bottom surface either. They run about $55k each. Man, I would love to take one home when they are old and used up.
upload_2020-5-22_20-45-58.png

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
My personal table saw is a 1977 10" Craftsman that I have rebuilt a couple of times with new motors, mounts, base. About the only thing original is the table frame and blade mount. If you REALLY want nice, you need to use some industrial equipment. We have a couple of motorized, digital Altendorf saws at work. They supposedly hold within 0.003". Key in the dimension and the saw sets itself up. I have used them for cutting up scrap laminate panels at work to take home for "government" projects. Oh, and they have a scoring blade to score the bottom of the panel (reverse rotation) so there is no chip out on the bottom surface either. They run about $55k each. Man, I would love to take one home when they are old and used up.
View attachment 72125
****... I'll just buy a brand new Ram 2500 for that.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
By the time you buy the ram and inevitably have to replace the transmission 2-3 years later you will have spend more
Strange my 1500 is dominating all comers for the last two years. Best truck 3 years in a row. That trany issue was like 25 years ago.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
View attachment 72125
$5800 will buy you a really nice Hammer sliding table saw.

https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/en-US/Sawing/Machines/Hammer-K3-winner-79x48.html

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
The saw is part of it but I am sure a big chunk is the digital NC fence with 0.003" precision. You input your dimension and the fence moves and sets itself at the correct position.
Well that's taking the fun out of it. How am I supposed to blame the crappy saw when I put the fence in the wrong spot if it does it automatically?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron