Installing a new hard drive

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Looking for some advice. I purchased a new SSD for my laptop and was wondering how best to set it up. I know cloning is the easiest, but I've read that doing a clean install of windows and moving backups of files over will give you the best performance. My laptop is getting fairly old and there is definitely some bloatware I would like to get rid of. If I am installing Windows 10 will it pretty much install itself including drivers if I use a recovery file? Does anybody know of a good faq they would recommend for this? I've looked at a few but someone out there may know of better ones than I've seen.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
my preference is a clean install... so much is cloud based and backup data is easy.

performance is best this way too. good luck!

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Looking for some advice. I purchased a new SSD for my laptop and was wondering how best to set it up. I know cloning is the easiest, but I've read that doing a clean install of windows and moving backups of files over will give you the best performance. My laptop is getting fairly old and there is definitely some bloatware I would like to get rid of. If I am installing Windows 10 will it pretty much install itself including drivers if I use a recovery file? Does anybody know of a good faq they would recommend for this? I've looked at a few but someone out there may know of better ones than I've seen.
Others will probably be more helpful, and it's been a while since I've done a clean install, but the Windows install should be fairly easy. It should walk you through everything.

I'd recommend downloading a few drivers to a flash drive, especially your wireless and/or ethernet drivers. Just in case you have problems and can't access the internet.
Once you're set up you can download any drivers that don't install from Windows.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Got my new SSD installed with a clean install of windows. It was pretty easy, and holy cow does an SSD make a HUGE difference. My laptop would take 2 or 3 minutes to boot up and was constantly bogging down. Now it boots up in under 30 seconds. I have an aging gaming laptop, and I was surprised to find it's even provided a boost in game performance, which I wasn't expecting. Probably just clearing out all the bloatware and other crap it had accumulated over the years. Definitely worth the $100 investment.