Random Thoughts 14: I can see clearly now 2020 edition

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Errrrgggghhhhh.

Still "paying" for going on vacation. I'm so far behind I'm about to run over myself.

In all honesty, I'd rather work four 10 hour days instead of five 8 hour days.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Some potential good news for the tick situation in the CloneGuy8 household. According to Mr Bob Vila, if there are anymore in the house, they likely won't survive for more than a couple days.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/ticks-in-the-house/

Yeah and I think they need a host as well?

Also...back in the day it was assumed you had to get the whole tick when picking it off, as the head could stay on and still infect someone. I'm guessing that was an urban legend?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Before Covid, we ate Sunday lunch with a group of friends, rotating main dish weekly and rotating hosting monthly. I've really been missing that. Today, we had a zoom lunch and got to catch up and laugh and see the brand new baby one couple has...
It was really really wonderful to see all of them again!

Reactions: NWICY and jcyclonee

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Yeah and I think they need a host as well?

Also...back in the day it was assumed you had to get the whole tick when picking it off, as the head could stay on and still infect someone. I'm guessing that was an urban legend?
What I have done is light a match, blow it out and touch the hot end to the tick. It will pull out and then you can knock it off and kill it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm late but I will weigh in with my tick story. About 15-20 years ago I got together with some old friends and we went disc golfing. I think it was around Cherry Glen. We lost a disc in the high weeds a couple of times and had to go in after them. Since we were camping we went to the shower facility there. As we got undressed we discovered that we were all covered in ticks pretty much everywhere that we had clothes on. Each of the three of us had probably 20-30 ticks on us. Luckily it was early enough that none of them were attached yet. One of the most disgusting things ever. I have never seen or heard of that many ticks in one place at one time before or since.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
What I have done is light a match, blow it out and touch the hot end to the tick. It will pull out and then you can knock it off and kill it.
I remember my parents doing this with my brother when I was a kid, but reading up on it apparently you're not supposed to do that. Everything I've read says to use tweezers to remove them
https://www.nwnewsnetwork.org/post/how-remove-ticks-and-why-hot-match-won-t-work
"Scoles says one of the reasons the match technique doesn't work is that the tick has very little control. After it bites, it secretes a cement-like protein to keep its mouth in place. Tick saliva contains compounds that numb the skin and anti-coagulants to keep your blood flowing. It also contains immunosuppressants that prevent your body from responding."

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Cornbread recipe
1-3/4 C all-purpose flour
3/4 C enriched corn meal
3/4 C sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 C milk (whole milk)
1/4 C vegetable oil
4 eggs

Heat oven to 400. Grease 9x13 pan.
Combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil & eggs, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20 to 25 min or until light golden brown and wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Made this tonight! Dh approved.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Unemployment is all caught up, so we're good for money until the fall.
DMACC is consolidating and cancelling classes, so I don't expect to teach in fall (or spring, really).

So we have a chance to figure things out, I guess. The academic job market managed to collapse from what was already the worst market since the 1960s. I don't see that bouncing back this year.

So where do people turn when it's time to figure this stuff out, yo?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Unemployment is all caught up, so we're good for money until the fall.
DMACC is consolidating and cancelling classes, so I don't expect to teach in fall (or spring, really).

So we have a chance to figure things out, I guess. The academic job market managed to collapse from what was already the worst market since the 1960s. I don't see that bouncing back this year.

So where do people turn when it's time to figure this stuff out, yo?

I'd recommend restaurant jobs but...yeah.

I've been thinking of what I could do differently as well, as I don't feel fully confident in my situation in a couple of years either.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
493CCBC6-BAB4-4EE1-B9AA-45A77C7CD185.jpeg Something I didn’t realize I still had. How we took care of jackwagons on the floor back in the day.

Also, found an old resume. I listed Order of Rose and Chessmen...........I have no idea what that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron