Akron cutting some sports

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think the football players will survive without having cross country runners around. Why do cross country runners deserve scholarships? They bring in no money. If they want to run, let them but they have to pay for their own school.

No jimlad jimlad.png ?

Are you aware that we have an Athletic Department, not just a football team?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I think the football players will survive without having cross country runners around. Why do cross country runners deserve scholarships? They bring in no money. If they want to run, let them but they have to pay for their own school.

They deserve partial to full scholarships because they are high level athletes and the job of our coaching staff in any sport is to win conference and national championships.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009

Probably should cut academic programs and departments that are not profitable. And any student that doesn’t major in a program/school that is profitable for the University needs to have their academic scholarships pulled.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Probably should cut academic programs and departments that are not profitable. And any student that doesn’t major in a program/school that is profitable for the University needs to have their academic scholarships pulled.

Not remotely the same thing. It’s Iowa State University not Iowa State Running Club. You’re one of the tens of people who care about cross country apparently but the average ISU fan couldn’t give a **** about it.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Not remotely the same thing. It’s Iowa State University not Iowa State Running Club. You’re one of the tens of people who care about cross country apparently but the average ISU fan couldn’t give a **** about it.

I care about Olympic sport athletes having the opportunity to compete for NCAA Championships.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Tell it to Jamie Pollard! Please send him an email. I would like to see his response.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

While we're at it, have the Regents cut out programs that don't lead to high-paying jobs. Gotta get back that taxpayer cheddar somehow.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Get rid of the non-profit status of college athletics and I'm happy to talk cutting sports down to FB and MBB.

No deductions for donations.
All tuition paid is a taxable benefit.
All benefits are taxable.

Let's see what happens to collegiate athletics that way.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
You clearly never played sports in college. We have one of the best cross country teams in the nation. Ask some of the revenue coaches how much pride as an athletic department they have in the non-revenue sports. A lot of synergy between athletes in all sports. You start cutting sports and it hurts the culture of the entire athletic department.

I actually did play college football

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
All colleges and universities should trim it down to scholarships for football and basketball only. Everything else goes to the club level. Maybe wrestling and baseball/softball can be regionally based ...IDK. But a lot of people are right. Nobody gives a **** about anything else. They barely give a **** about baseball and wrestling.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
...We have one of the best cross country teams in the nation. Ask some of the revenue coaches how much pride as an athletic department they have in the non-revenue sports.... You start cutting sports and it hurts the culture of the entire athletic department.

Unfortunately it doesn't really matter how competitive your teams are nationally. Sometimes the best programs ever to wear Cardinal and Gold
get cut because the money supposedly isn't there.

Signed,
10 time Big 8, and 3 time NCAA Iowa State Men's Gymnastics Championship teams

Last edited: