Anyone know anyone who attended WVU?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Business school, in particular? Friend is considering their master of finance pgm but doesn't know anyone there. Would like to connect with someone who's familiar with the program.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
My MIL went to law school there... long time ago now, though.

My wife's second cousin is an undergraduate there now, but not in the B-School.

WFBClone

Aug 10, 2018
US News ranks ISU #53 in graduate programs in business. UI is unranked (that's hard to believe; in general UI has very strong graduate and professional programs). WVU is unranked and not an AAU member. WVU's program probably is fine if the student wants to stay in or around West Virginia after completing the degree as is the case with many graduate programs in state "flagship" universities but if the person wants to move to another region of the country, another program might be advisable. I'd recommend caution but the program might be satisfactory.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
US News ranks ISU #53 in graduate programs in business. UI is unranked (that's hard to believe; in general UI has very strong graduate and professional programs). WVU is unranked and not an AAU member. WVU's program probably is fine if the student wants to stay in or around West Virginia after completing the degree as is the case with many graduate programs in state "flagship" universities but if the person wants to move to another region of the country, another program might be advisable. I'd recommend caution but the program might be satisfactory.

When it comes to the rankings I consider them to be US Fake News. I don't trust any of the rankings. For instance, a WVU degree has less value in Iowa than in West Virginia. Similarly, a degree from EIU has less value in West Virginia than Iowa.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I know one person who went to WVU for undergrad; he's a lawyer. He's also 100% West Virginia. Exactly what you would expect.

I know quite a few Appalachian area lawyers. It's a strange personality contradiction. One of them had male pattern baldness, a scraggly ponytail that went down his back about six inches, and wore suits that appear to have come from Goodwill. I'm not exactly Captain Fashion but I do know not to wear what he wore.

All of them were super nice people. Their IQs would fluctuate between 70 and 140. On a daily basis.

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
All of them were super nice people. Their IQs would fluctuate between 70 and 140. On a daily basis.

giphy.gif

Yup, got me with that one!

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
When it comes to the rankings I consider them to be US Fake News. I don't trust any of the rankings. For instance, a WVU degree has less value in Iowa than in West Virginia. Similarly, a degree from EIU has less value in West Virginia than Iowa.

The chair of the civil engineering department at ISU explained to me how the US News rankings work and it eliminated any faith I had in them. Basically, the poll all the schools on the list and ask them to rank all other programs. There's a huge similarity bias built in. Someone in the engineering department at Cal Poly probably has no idea how good or bad the graduate program is at Iowa State. So, either they don't rank them at all, or they put them really far down the list, knowing nothing about the program.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The chair of the civil engineering department at ISU explained to me how the US News rankings work and it eliminated any faith I had in them. Basically, the poll all the schools on the list and ask them to rank all other programs. There's a huge familiarity bias built in. Someone in the engineering department at Cal Poly probably has no idea how good or bad the graduate program is at Iowa State. So, either they don't rank them at all, or they put them really far down the list, knowing nothing about the program.

FIFY Familiarity bias, not similarity bias.

I concur that these are glorified beauty contests with judges who may have never ever looked at most of the contestants. It make the coaches' football poll seem scientific!

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Know a guy from high school that went to WVU and walked on the football team (older brother was playing on scholarship which probably helped). He went to the business school and now he is a Christian country singer trying to make it big in Nashville. He's got thousands of followers on all the social media sites so I'm assuming he's doing alright.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
west virginia gets a bad wrap. it struggles but iowa would too if say a few (coal company executives) were able to sap 8 trillion dollars of natural resources (coal) from it and left the majority of people VERY worse off (pollution, general eco decline). for years the economy was coal over everything, pushing workers to become addicted to drugs and alcohol to keep the machine going. well the machine has stopped but the addiction is still there.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
west virginia gets a bad wrap. it struggles but iowa would too if say a few (coal company executives) were able to sap 8 trillion dollars of natural resources (coal) from it and left the majority of people VERY worse off (pollution, general eco decline). for years the economy was coal over everything, pushing workers to become addicted to drugs and alcohol to keep the machine going. well the machine has stopped but the addiction is still there.

Wow, this must mean that their university is really terrible! jimlad.png

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I know a few people. It doesn’t make you stand out for a job, but it’s certainly better than say U of Phoenix.