Will the Iowa State Fair happen this year?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Will the Iowa state fair happen in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 84 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 177 58.0%
  • I will not be going if it does open because of COVID-19

Votes: 44 14.4%

• Total voters

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Yeah I've noticed that, still quite a drop even for a Sunday. This past week didn't have a huge spike in the middle of it like past weeks too. I've assumed those 'spikes' are numbers reported catching up.

Georgia had 900-some today which was an increase but not gigantic...next Friday will be 3 weeks since they reopened.

Agree and hope the trend continues downward albeit slow. Georgia should be interesting - hoping it continues to do well but I agree the 3 week mark allows enough time for the 14 day period to see if there's a start to an increase.

joker

Oct 4, 2012
As far as the state fair goes, is there any guarantee the food vendors will have a reliable supply chain for all the food they will need?
We need the food supply chain to straighten out before any decision should be made.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
As far as the state fair goes, is there any guarantee the food vendors will have a reliable supply chain for all the food they will need?
We need the food supply chain to straighten out before any decision should be made.

They can get their food straight from the cattle, hog and poultry barns ;)

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Numbers are meaningless without knowing testing numbers and testing parameters.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Don’t tase me, but what happened to the corona virus threads? Did they get shut down or moved to the cave? I don’t see them anymore. Not that I was going to them any more, just curious.

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
Don’t tase me, but what happened to the corona virus threads? Did they get shut down or moved to the cave? I don’t see them anymore. Not that I was going to them any more, just curious.
The Iowa one got shut down because political talk was over taking it. Which it’s basically impossible to not talk COVID and politics at the same time since it’s all somewhat related.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
The Iowa one got shut down because political talk was over taking it. Which it’s basically impossible to not talk COVID and politics at the same time since it’s all somewhat related.

Some just choose not to. It can be done if you are mature about it.

Last edited:

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Yeah although hasn't everyone at least increased testing capacity?
I was referring mostly to Iowa. Just recently there was one day where 3800 results had 404 positives, the next day 1230 results had 186 positives. So you can't just focus on the positive numbers and assume there was a big drop.

Last edited:

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If it does NOT happen I'd like to volunteer the empty lot next to my house as an alternative site for the Iowa Craft Beer Tent. There is easily room for the tent and 20 or so cars to park.

Reactions: ClonesTwenty1

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
I see it this way, if the fair does happen it’s not going to be what it’s normally like. I think the varied industries building will be closed and no vendors will be in it. I think the midway will be a no go. I doubt a lot of food vendors will put the time and money paying employees just to maybe break even this year for the fair. I honestly think they should just let the 4H kids do their competitions and that’s it. Anything else is going to just be a waste of money trying to put it on.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
4-H and FFA are not the money makers for the State Fair. It's the Grandstand, camping, concessions, ......

Can the State Fair afford to have just a 4-H/FFA show?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
4-H and FFA are not the money makers for the State Fair. It's the Grandstand, camping, concessions, ......

Can the State Fair afford to have just a 4-H/FFA show?

They should be able to miss at least one year and be fine. They have a lot of money.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
They should be able to miss at least one year and be fine. They have a lot of money.

Isn't it the Iowa State Fair Foundation that has the money, not the Iowa State Fair? The Foundation has the responsibility of the grounds and building and the ISF Board runs the fair. Usually the Foundations have the big bucks and boards are scraping to get by

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Isn't it the Iowa State Fair Foundation that has the money, not the Iowa State Fair? The Foundation has the responsibility of the grounds and building and the ISF Board runs the fair. Usually the Foundations have the big bucks and boards are scraping to get by

True true.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
does a state fair happen when none of the entertainment shows up?

My guess is they use it as a way to look like they are taking a precaution. No grandstand, no free stages, but keeping everything else. As though that would make any difference...

ClonesTwenty1

May 23, 2018
My guess is they use it as a way to look like they are taking a precaution. No grandstand, no free stages, but keeping everything else. As though that would make any difference...
Honestly I don’t think a lot of vendors/food vendors will show up either. Why go through all of the trouble just to maybe break even this year? At this point it’s in the best interest of everyone(including financially) to just cancel the fair all together. I’m convinced the fair itself wouldn’t even make a whole lot money this summer.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Honestly I don’t think a lot of vendors/food vendors will show up either. Why go through all of the trouble just to maybe break even this year? At this point it’s in the best interest of everyone(including financially) to just cancel the fair all together. I’m convinced the fair itself wouldn’t even make a whole lot money this summer.
my fried oreo though.......