***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I saw my son's yesterday and they are both graduates of and big followers of the Illini basketball program. They tell me Illini Nation feels the Brown kid from Wake Forest is an Illini commit. Only thing holding him back is getting confirmation he can play next year and confirmation the IO (the guard that picked the Illini and led THT to pick the Cyclones per the stories there) turning pro, of which he has already announced. He does not want to sit next year. Who knows if their info is any more accurate than anything we read on CF, but Underwood is having solid recruiting year and doing a great job of turning the Illini program around, taking it the opposite direction the ISU program is going.

have this feeling underwood is the next Bill Self. To the point that if Self gets fired or steps down from Kansas over these cheating aligations , Illinois would go after him.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
History also says we’ve always had a really damn good PG, something we don’t even have close to right now.

You are right that we have had either Morris, Weiler-Babb, and Haliburton at the PG spot for seven years now. That is a pretty nice run of stability there.

That being said, our adjusted offensive efficiency was actually slightly higher once Tyrese went out last season. I elaborate on this here --

Adjusted ORTG on Bart Torvik by game last year --

View attachment 71536

Pretty steady throughout the year. I put a yellow highlight on the Kansas State game where Haliburton went down. Losing him did not really seem to have an appreciable effect on the efficiency of the offense, oddly enough, looking at the numbers.

Same thing for the defense --

View attachment 71537

Now remember, defense is like golf -- you want low scores. I also put a highlight on the Kansas State game that ended up being Haliburton's last.

I think there is a more appreciable (and negative) effect on defense from losing Tyrese. We mostly appreciate him as a PG and playmaker, but the reason the NBA likes him so much is he combines that with ideal size for an NBA guard/wing. He has good instincts for the ball, too, so you can easily imagine him guarding 1-3 at the next level (after guarding 1-4 in college), switching on most screens without creating a mismatch, and gambling more successfully than not for tips and steals for turnovers.

Haliburton's wingspan is almost comical with how "wide" he is. He is going to be one of the widest PGs in the NBA the first day he steps foot on the court. We actually missed that defensive asset more than him as an offensive one.

We will miss Haliburton for his defense more than for his offense. We do not really need to worry if the incoming roster can really score that much.

We need to worry if it can hope to rebound and stop.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
If we rebound and play a lot better defense we are just better by default. The offense will come.
Nothing against Nixon and Jacobson, but hopefully replacing their minutes with 3 wings with great length and a mobile 7 footer will help.

Haliburton made a lot of positive plays on that end (blocks, steals, deflections) but I still expect a big improvement as a team.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Size and athleticism wise, we are better. Johnson alone but the freshman could be an added bonus... and hopefully transfers to come.

I’m curious how people would rank our top 7 players. Not starting 5, but just our best players.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Size and athleticism wise, we are better. Johnson alone but the freshman could be an added bonus... and hopefully transfers to come.

I’m curious how people would rank our top 7 players. Not starting 5, but just our best players.

I would go with:
Bolton
Johnson
Young
Conditt
Blackwell
Jackson
Foster

If Conditt has a good off-season, he has more upside than Young because of defense and shot blocking.

I would put Harris right there with Johnson.

It's critical we get consistent post offense out of Young/Conditt. If opposing defenses have to cheat or help in the post- it helps jump shooters.

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
I like Conditt and he has the current edge over Foster, do to experience. I am looking for Foster to move ahead of Conditt fairly quickly however.
I expect Foster’s game to be much different than Conditt’s. Conditt scores most of his points from the paint. Based on film, Foster can definitely score from the outside.

Reactions: Sigmapolis

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Kind of sucks to be recruiting a guy with Lands in his name because I keep thinking the headline on the front page is saying we landed somebody.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Kind of sucks to be recruiting a guy with Lands in his name because I keep thinking the headline on the front page is saying we landed somebody.
Yeah I have thought that a couple times.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I like Conditt and he has the current edge over Foster, do to experience. I am looking for Foster to move ahead of Conditt fairly quickly however.

Conditt definitely over Foster. But I disagree with the fairly quickly. Conditt will explode when it starts to click for him. Foster has a high upside. Let's hope they're both so good that we can have a twin towers setup.

Reactions: heitclone

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Conditt definitely over Foster. But I disagree with the fairly quickly. Conditt will explode when it starts to click for him. Foster has a high upside. Let's hope they're both so good that we can have a twin towers setup.

I think they can both be really good, but they are just different. If it clicks for Conditt and Foster can play the 4 that’s big time. But I also just like Foster more at the 5 for offensive purposes.

But this team needs defense more than anything right now.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

Prohm needs to figure out what he wants George to do offensively, last year, for whatever reason, we continually ran a high ball screen and fed George the ball between the FT and 3pt line. He always looked lost and he doesn't really seem to be an attack off the dribble or mid range type of guy, he was caught in that spot way too often. It could easily be that GC is running something wrong on that play but Tyrese was giving him the ball in this spot as well, that makes me think it was by design bc I mean its Tyrese, the ball always goes where it is supposed to go. George finding his niche offensively will be a big factor next year, he's skilled, he just needs the ball in spots that set him up to do well.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
Prohm needs to figure out what he wants George to do offensively, last year, for whatever reason, we continually ran a high ball screen and fed George the ball between the FT and 3pt line. He always looked lost and he doesn't really seem to be an attack off the dribble or mid range type of guy, he was caught in that spot way too often. It could easily be that GC is running something wrong on that play but Tyrese was giving him the ball in this spot as well, that makes me think it was by design bc I mean its Tyrese, the ball always goes where it is supposed to go. George finding his niche offensively will be a big factor next year, he's skilled, he just needs the ball in spots that set him up to do well.

I think part of it will be in developing a feel for the defense, and adjusting to it. Early last year, Tyrese and George were eating that play up. Then defenses made the adjustment.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006

That's a common counter to certain PnR coverage. In high ball screens we saw a lot of hard hedging with the heavy help side tagging hard to take the middle away (good defensive adjustment again our bigs that don't shoot the three and when we had a lack of other shooting to create spacing). The general way to attack that are 1) Pick and Pop (GC hasn't displayed an ability to shoot the 3 so this isn't really an option with him on the floor) or 2) a short roll to the FT/elbow ish area). The intent with the short roll is to give the ball handler and out and then you can attack remaining defenders 4 vs 3. The challenge is as you mentioned GC didn't do great shooting the mid range shot or attacking off the bounce. Things were also made more difficult for him by not having great shooters in 1-2 (sometimes 3) other positions so people could help hard off of other players to make it difficult for him to attack. It's an area GC is going to have to develop. He's athletic enough to be successful in that spot. Improving shooting around him would help a lot, less help allowing him to take a dribble and then shoot his jump hook against a smaller help defender should be an area he can be successful. I wouldn't rate Solo as a great mid range shooter, but he did a decent job knocking that 15 footer down late in the season. I also think it's area that XF has a higher potential.

Summary - good defensive adjustment and having poor shooters in several spots on the court makes it tough to counter.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
www.oldschoolradical.com
That's a common counter to certain PnR coverage. In high ball screens we saw a lot of hard hedging with the heavy help side tagging hard to take the middle away (good defensive adjustment again our bigs that don't shoot the three and when we had a lack of other shooting to create spacing). The general way to attack that are 1) Pick and Pop (GC hasn't displayed an ability to shoot the 3 so this isn't really an option with him on the floor) or 2) a short roll to the FT/elbow ish area). The intent with the short roll is to give the ball handler and out and then you can attack remaining defenders 4 vs 3. The challenge is as you mentioned GC didn't do great shooting the mid range shot or attacking off the bounce. Things were also made more difficult for him by not having great shooters in 1-2 (sometimes 3) other positions so people could help hard off of other players to make it difficult for him to attack. It's an area GC is going to have to develop. He's athletic enough to be successful in that spot. Improving shooting around him would help a lot, less help allowing him to take a dribble and then shoot his jump hook against a smaller help defender should be an area he can be successful. I wouldn't rate Solo as a great mid range shooter, but he did a decent job knocking that 15 footer down late in the season. I also think it's area that XF has a higher potential.

Summary - good defensive adjustment and having poor shooters in several spots on the court makes it tough to counter.

Foster could excel in that role, and if we are able to run both George and him in the same lineups, it presents some interesting options on the roll if defenders help off George.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Foster could excel in that role, and if we are able to run both George and him in the same lineups, it presents some interesting options on the roll if defenders help off George.
I’m afraid to see what the defense would look like. GC is athletically capable and makes some good blocks, but he was a mess on defense at the end of last season. I doubt Foster will be better when defending screens on the perimeter.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I’m afraid to see what the defense would look like. GC is athletically capable and makes some good blocks, but he was a mess on defense at the end of last season. I doubt Foster will be better when defending screens on the perimeter.
I don't think next year we'll see a ton of GC and XF together, but I do think it will be a lineup used sparingly. That is some crazy length in the front court that could be fun to watch even if it is only for a single rotation.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron