Automatic blinds

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
We have a battery powered window blind that is crapping out. I don’t know if it’s the motor, board, or rf signal. anyone have a blind place they might recommend? It was here when we moved in and it eats batteries.
It is large and expensive to replace, even without a motor. It’s 104 inches wide.
TIA.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
We have a battery powered window blind that is crapping out. I don’t know if it’s the motor, board, or rf signal. anyone have a blind place they might recommend? It was here when we moved in and it eats batteries.
It is large and expensive to replace, even without a motor. It’s 104 inches wide.
TIA.

when you say automatic do you mean something you can connect to like a smart home hub? Or just blinds that can be controlled by remote. I went on a smart home craze a while back and blinds are interesting to me but from what I have seen crazy expensive. I’ve already spent more than I probably should have on smart home things.

Bali and Zebra are the two I see discussed a lot

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
when you say automatic do you mean something you can connect to like a smart home hub? Or just blinds that can be controlled by remote. I went on a smart home craze a while back and blinds are interesting to me but from what I have seen crazy expensive. I’ve already spent more than I probably should have on smart home things.

Bali and Zebra are the two I see discussed a lot

Yeah, i have smart lights and looked into the shades... i cant justify the cost even though i'd love some smart shades. It doesnt make sense to me how blinds\shades are just stupid expensive for what they are.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Whatever you go with I suggest you pull the trigger sooner than later. We just had someone come out this week to recommend replacements to three sets of vertical blinds in our house (they were here when we moved in). We went with roller shades and the pricing we got was at a discount because suppliers are sitting on too much inventory at the moment.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I was all set to do this, but chickened out in the end; just replaced with normal shades

I was thinking Bali or Serena. Somfy is talked about a lot too. I wanted to connect to my Z-wave system (Homeseer) and saw that one floated around a lot.

I ended up deciding I couldn't really think of a useful application to have blinds scheduled. Certainly not enough to increase the cost by as much as they would have. And if you know me, I can justify almost anything if I try hard enough ;)

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Thanks. They are cellular shades with a tiny motor up top and battery powered.
Its a Somfy system inside that powers it. It was here when we moved in. Its nice, but not worth replacing 16 AA batteries every 4 months. I wouldn't buy it again. A plain replacement shade at that size is $500.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Whole house is Serena shades connected to my HomePod. Freeking awesome being able to control via SIRI or the app. The blackout ones are great for bedrooms.

Had them for 18 months and never had to change batteries yet.

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM
we bought some zwave shades through zebrablinds.com a couple years ago: they've held up well so far; I think I've replaced the batteries just once (although we don't use them often).

The pairing process was kind of awkward due to what you need to do to keep the remotes working with them, but that may have improved since we bought ours.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
TIA.
I love my motorized shades. I got mine from Makers Custom Blinds in Ames. Yes they are expensive, but they are awesome. They will eat batteries if you go crazy with the automation. If you can, I recommend wiring them directly to a power source. I dont have that with mine, but wish I did. Maybe some day.

Reactions: ripvdub

Help Support Us

Become a patron