***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
-Leech and Zion categorically are results. Not positive results but results.
-Coach has undoubtedly had results. There is a growing body of evidence that the results aren't that good.
-He has had time to recruit. The results two out of the last three years are not terribly positive are a direct RESULT of his work recruiting.
-It seems as though you want to positive results.
-If you only are compelled to count positive results that is your call, yet you must concede he has had results.
-His results on the recruiting trail are showing on the court.
My mistake, I thought we were talking about spring 2020 recruiting, of which the results are not in.

If you were talking about previous classes, yes, there have been mixed results, nearly everyone agrees.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
the only semi-hole in that theory is that Harris said in the CW interview that he is a point guard. I have no clue if the staff sees him as the man next year or not but he definitely does.

I do think Harris will get every opportunity to focus on being the PG, but play some off ball regardless his shooting is too important. If we were to assume Harris is only playing (PG 25-30 min) then Perez is competing with Tre (Jr.), Bolton (Sr) and Walker (Soph) for the SG minutes. If they take Perez it would be to play over 2 of those 3 or there is no point in having him sit out this year. In addition I really don't see Lopez as a SF with the wings ISU is adding this year.
I am just speculating of course but the staff actions seem to indicate that is what they feel.

Reactions: ForbinsAscynt

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I'm guessing that most programs look very similar if you analyze it. After all, for 13 scholarships, you typically have 7-8 playing, and constant turnover year to year.
This past fall players leaving before the season starts, and grill departing is unique.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
This past fall players leaving before the season starts, and grill departing is unique.
Isn’t there a new rule that allows those spots to be filled mid-year? If so, they won’t be unique.

How is Grill departing unique?

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Isn’t there a new rule that allows those spots to be filled mid-year? If so, they won’t be unique.

How is Grill departing unique?
You are simply being obtuse. I got it. Enjoy your troll. Blocked.

Cyclone560

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2017
Not trying to be snarky or anything, but what do people like about Perez?

He does not excite me at all. He's got good assist numbers and size but that's it. He was a high usage guy with a 94 Offensive rating that shot 34% and 25% from 3pt.

Oh and his Gardner Webb team went 16-16 and actually closed out the season 7-3 when he was out injured....He doesn't seem to be a winning player right now anyways and he would be locked in for 2-3 years on a scholarship....

Seems much more likely to bust than help out in P5 in my opinion.

I feel like his top5 list just has big names and so people get excited (maybe part of the reason he listed a team like ISU despite us not actually recruiting him)

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Not trying to be snarky or anything, but what do people like about Perez?

He does not excite me at all. He's got good assist numbers and size but that's it. He was a high usage guy with a 94 Offensive rating that shot 34% and 25% from 3pt.

Oh and his Gardner Webb team went 16-16 and actually closed out the season 7-3 when he was out injured....He doesn't seem to be a winning player right now anyways and he would be locked in for 2-3 years on a scholarship....

Seems much more likely to bust than help out in P5 in my opinion.

I feel like his top5 list just has big names and so people get excited (maybe part of the reason he listed a team like ISU despite us not actually recruiting him)

He did have a good freshman year and performed well in the NCAA tournament against Virginia. Was the conference preseason player of the year before the disappointing soph season. There's gotta be some potential there based on that.

Cyclone560

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2017
I think we also need a PG I agree, but maybe there is a plan there beyond forcing Bolton to play it. Regardless there are still solid options I think Jalen Coleman-Lands would be a fantastic get. His stats are very up and down but every time I've seen him play I just feel like he's a baller and highly capable.

I honestly think JCL and a PG (even Tyler Harris being eligible) would be pretty solid for next year and make things interesting, not saying we would make a tournament but I think be competitive and bridge the gap into the next year hopefully being back on the up and up.

I also don't think we necessarily need to use all 4 scholarships you can bank some. If your taking a 1 year GT might as well to some extent because that will open back up anyways, but I think CW mentioned it on a Pod already that leaving at least one open allows for Mid-Year transfers who we have had success with before in McKay and Burton (not sure how likely that is, but it give you another out and its a smaller competitive field because not everyone has open scholarships to offer mid year)

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
There is nothing that says those experts/professionals/people in elevated positions are guaranteed to be good at their jobs or know what they are doing. A healthy amount of skepticism is a good thing. Half of any population is by definition below the median, and you are right there are all sorts of ways that incompetent people can arrive in such positions through various means. I have met plenty of morons with degrees from Harvard, Yale, and Princeton out here who only went because of admissions practices that preference legacies, their family names, and/or their parents ability to pay for the tutoring and test practice from early childhood to drill them on meeting the admissions standards.

I have met plenty of geniuses from those places, too, but I have met as equally intelligent people with degrees from places like Penn State and Minnesota, as well.

What you are wrong about though is are those various expert populations any better or worse than the whole of the population if you were to just choose somebody randomly off the street. Yes, some basketball coaches are not good basketball coaches, but Prohm is a better coach than any one of us by several miles. I think you are also underrating just how complex the world is... nobody knows anything, even sometimes with those who spend their lives dedicated to studying a single subject. That is not a failing on their part or on a field's fault, but rather just a somber acknowledgment that the world is a complex place and conditions can change extremely quickly. This is the weirdest spring recruiting cycle we will ever have, but I think waiting for guys who can move the needle on Prohm's part is a better strategy than filling up for filling up's sake. Better to have the open spots for late transfers, if the transfer rule opens up, for midyears, or for freshmen next year than to stock ourselves with Jeff Beverly and Prentiss Nixon clones, right?

This is probably the closest Sig has ever come to just posting "You are a dumb***"

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Reactions: Snydes

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I do think Harris will get every opportunity to focus on being the PG, but play some off ball regardless his shooting is too important. If we were to assume Harris is only playing (PG 25-30 min) then Perez is competing with Tre (Jr.), Bolton (Sr) and Walker (Soph) for the SG minutes. If they take Perez it would be to play over 2 of those 3 or there is no point in having him sit out this year. In addition I really don't see Lopez as a SF with the wings ISU is adding this year.
I am just speculating of course but the staff actions seem to indicate that is what they feel.

If the assumption is true the waiver won't pass Walker will be a sophomore by the time Harris hits the floor. Hopefully by then Walker is ready to assume a significant role allowing Harris to get some time at the 2.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
You don't need to go 4 for 4, but there were so many busts. Also, Lard was always a bad apple, we knew that from the moment he was recruited, Wigginton should have never left, everyone knew but him he wasn't getting drafted, and Talen is looking like he might not stick in the league either.
I still think a big fail was having Wig and Lard be roomies.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
2016-2/4
2017-1/2
2018-2/4 with Conditt jury still out
2019-of the four hs recruits three gone. Tre is still developing. 0/3 w/one unknown. Transfers 1 win 1 unknown.

14 hs recruits. 8/14 for certain misses. The results could be worse than the 57+% miss rate ultimately could be worse. It is starting to look bleak on his recruiting success rates.

Is 58% bad? I'm not really sure. Let's use Fred as a benchmark.

2011: 1/3
2012: 2/4
2013: 3/3
2014: 0/1

That's 60%. So the difference is that Fred nailed transfers and retained his good high school recruits. Not necessarily bombed on the recruiting trail.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Is 58% bad? I'm not really sure. Let's use Fred as a benchmark.

2011: 1/3
2012: 2/4
2013: 3/3
2014: 0/1

That's 60%. So the difference is that Fred nailed transfers and retained his good high school recruits. Not necessarily bombed on the recruiting trail.
Freds rotations weren't ever more than about 7-8. It's just 3 or 4 of the players on the floor were pros at any given time regardless of how they were rotated

davehon

Apr 4, 2015
Difference between Fred and CSP is Fred's great guys were 4 year guys and CSP good guys left early...IF CSP guys didn't explode and stayed 3+ then our conversation is different. But they left so we are where we are.

Reactions: Dandy and Doc