Question about 4x AA wrestler Steve Hamilton

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
A buddy of mine texted me a question about Steve Hamilton today and I've struck out in finding the answer. He was reading Hamilton's Iowa Wrestling HOF bio and noticed that he won his two state titles in '85 and '87. We were trying to think of who would've upset him in '86, but then my buddy said he saw something that made it look like he didn't qualify.

Can anybody shed any light on this one? Did he get upset before state or was he hurt? TIA.

Sidenote after looking back..the top of the class 2A podium in '86 was freaking loaded. Kent Streicher won his 1st of 3 titles, then it went Brands, Brands, Kelber (6 NCAA titles.) After Stacy Rice's 1st of 3 titles, you had Jake Marlin's old man then Doug Streicher (NCAA AA), Mark Reiland (NCAA champ) and Jim Guyer who I believe wrestled at Clemson. Add in Steffensmeier, Knight, and Chelsvig from class 3A and whoever else I've missed and it had to be a fun tournament to watch with a LOT of high end talent (even though most of them ended up at Iowa.)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Hamilton went up to 138 in 1986, and lost in the finals to Doug Streicher of Starmont, 7-2.

He also finished 4th as a freshman in 1984 -- at 112 pounds -- after losing to Mark Schwab in the quarters.

Last edited:
Reactions: HGoat1

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Hamilton went up to 138 in 1986, and lost in the finals to Doug Streicher of Starmont, 7-2.

I wondered if it was Streicher that got him. Not sure what my buddy was seeing that made him think he didn't qualify. That only makes that 2A podium all the more impressive.

Thanks for the info!

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I wondered if it was Streicher that got him. Not sure what my buddy was seeing that made him think he didn't qualify. That only makes that 2A podium all the more impressive.

Thanks for the info!

Plus, Chad Zaputil was the runner-up at 112 to Tom Brands. That's another 3 Big Ten titles, 3x AA, and 3x NCAA finalist..

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Yup, forgot about that. And wasn't it Zaputil that kept Kent Streicher from being a 4 timer? Some serious firepower.

I think Zaputil was a sophomore in '86. If the bio I found is right, the loss to Tom Brands was his only loss in his last 3 seasons of high school. Zaputil beat Terry Brands in '87 (2-1 OT), and beat Streicher in '88 (3-2 OT). Streicher had won titles in '86 and '87, and won again in '89.

Streicher went 1-1-2-1 in four different weight classes (98, 105, 119, 125).

Reactions: ca4cy

DCR

Jun 11, 2010
86 and 87 was stacked with NCAA champs and AA

1986 class 2A
1. Terry Brands, Jr., Sheldon
4. David Carr, Jr., New Hampton

1. Tom Brands, Jr., Sheldon
2. Chad Zaputil, So., Centerville

1. Jason Kelber, Sr., West (who beat Terry Brands in the NCAA finals)

3. Mike Moreno, Jr., Glenwood

1. Doug Streicher, Jr., Starmont, Strawberry Pt
2. Steve Hamilton, Jr., Emmetsburg

1. Mark Reiland, Jr., Eagle Grove

Class 3A
1. Dan Knight, Jr., Clinton

1. Bart Chelesvig, Jr., Webster City

1987 Class 2A
1. Chad Zaputil, Jr., Centerville
2. Terry Brands, Sr., Sheldon

Tom Brands ranked #1 did not compete at state for getting into trouble and if I remember I think Steve Hamilton was with him at Lake Okoboji and he did still wrestle. I was in high school the same time and at tournaments with them.

1. Mike Moreno, Sr., Glenwood

1. Steve Hamilton, Sr., Emmetsburg

1. Doug Streicher, Sr., Starmont-Strawberry Point

1. Mark Reiland, Sr., Eagle Grove

Class 3A
1. Dan Knight, Sr., Clinton *** 4 Time State Champion ***

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I think Zaputil was a sophomore in '86. If the bio I found is right, the loss to Tom Brands was his only loss in his last 3 seasons of high school. Zaputil beat Terry Brands in '87 (2-1 OT), and beat Streicher in '88 (3-2 OT). Streicher had won titles in '86 and '87, and won again in '89.

Streicher went 1-1-2-1 in four different weight classes (98, 105, 119, 125).

Streicher losing was a pretty big deal in NE Iowa. It was a lot harder to follow the landscape state wide back then. He was dominant around the area and I think most people assumed he'd get 4 after he got those first two. Obviously Zaputil beating him was no fluke given the career he went on to have.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Streicher losing was a pretty big deal in NE Iowa. It was a lot harder to follow the landscape state wide back then. He was dominant around the area and I think most people assumed he'd get 4 after he got those first two. Obviously Zaputil beating him was no fluke given the career he went on to have.
I grew up and wrestled in southern Iowa so got my ass handed to me by Zaputil a couple of times. Went to college at Iowa for a couple years (bad youth life choices) and I ran into the Brands brothers playing cards in the dorms one Friday night. I brought up knowing Zaputil and how it was going to be great having all three of them there. Said the finals match with Terry was a fantastic match despite being so low scoring. The two of them absolutely went off on me and started screaming that the punk ass ***** stalled his way to the title and Tom whooped his ass in freestyle the very next week. I thought I was going to get killed and slowly backed out of the dorm.

Obviously, they put it behind them when Chad ultimately arrived on campus.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I grew up and wrestled in southern Iowa so got my ass handed to me by Zaputil a couple of times. Went to college at Iowa for a couple years (bad youth life choices) and I ran into the Brands brothers playing cards in the dorms one Friday night. I brought up knowing Zaputil and how it was going to be great having all three of them there. Said the finals match with Terry was a fantastic match despite being so low scoring. The two of them absolutely went off on me and started screaming that the punk ass ***** stalled his way to the title and Tom whooped his ass in freestyle the very next week. I thought I was going to get killed and slowly backed out of the dorm.

How would you like to be the guy who got to room with both of them in one dorm room? One of them got kicked out of the dorms early his freshman year so he found a mattress and would sleep under the other one's bed for the rest of the year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

How would you like to be the guy who got to room with both of them in one dorm room? One of them got kicked out of the dorms early his freshman year so he found a mattress and would sleep under the other one's bed for the rest of the year.

Even the "less crazy" of the two was a total headcase.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

Well hey, at least they've mellowed out as the years have passed.