Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I do wonder if this wee

I'm wondering what'll happen this coming weekend. Will more people decide to venture out to sit in restaurants and stuff? The same group of people? Or will fewer come out after getting the novelty out of the way and maybe deciding it isn't worth continuing for now?

From what I've gathered from the area of NW IA I grew up in, there aren't many restaurants that are even opening up for dine in.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
One million dollars.

grinning-like-an-idiot.jpg

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I left it at questionable because I actually think there’s a decent possibility that Workday would have been the choice even if they did competitively bid it. Also my understanding is it wasn’t technically a no bid contract even if it really was.

That said you are right how they got there is shady as ****.

Some of this gets muddy so I'm not clear if we're talking about the same thing. But if I'm not mistaken, the state's contract was essentially an extension of the ISU contract which the DOT also used. So technically the state did not bid it, but ISU did. And while I agree Workday might have been the legitimate choice, the outcome of that bid was a foregone conclusion.

One need not dig too far to find a common thread between ISU's contract and the state's.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Minnesota now has 485 deaths to Iowa's 219. This is (well) more than twice as much, and Minnesota doesn't have twice Iowa's population.

While I think their Governor has a done a better job of laying out his response, I think this stat drives home the reality that at the end of the day, there's only so much those government reactions can do to stop this.

The greater lesson is to be more prepared for round 2 with tests, PPE, and ventilators.

Tim Walz saying the magic words didn't really save any more lives.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Some of this gets muddy so I'm not clear if we're talking about the same thing. But if I'm not mistaken, the state's contract was essentially an extension of the ISU contract which the DOT also used. So technically the state did not bid it, but ISU did. And while I agree Workday might have been the legitimate choice, the outcome of that bid was a foregone conclusion.

One need not dig too far to find a common thread between ISU's contract and the state's.
My understanding was DOT picky-backed off ISU but I got the impression the state is trying to use some multi state organization to argue it as bid out.

At the end of the day it will be interesting once Sand sinks his teeth into it. I am guessing that may take a while and conveniently be released right before the election in 2 years.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Not odd at all when you consider they have an interstate running through them

So if that is the case, why is worth, floyd, cerro gordo, franklin, and on and on in iowa so low since they have interstates running through them also. Your reason doesn't work very well when applied.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
No idea
Minnesota now has 485 deaths to Iowa's 219. This is (well) more than twice as much, and Minnesota doesn't have twice Iowa's population.

While I think their Governor has a done a better job of laying out his response, I think this stat drives home the reality that at the end of the day, there's only so much those government reactions can do to stop this.

The greater lesson is to be more prepared for round 2 with tests, PPE, and ventilators.

And with more relaxed restrictions we will be at herd immunity long before those states with stay at home orders

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
So farmers aren't poor, but also require welfare to be viable?

Subsidies are passed on to input suppliers and landlords through higher costs, because they know they can over charge due to the subsidy.

They are also the way the govt "buys info" from farmers to understand where our food supply is.

We would be better off without them.

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis

Tough to gauge these numbers when Iowa has really been two full weeks behind many states from the start of all this. April 21 or so was when MN started seeing daily deaths staying above 10. Iowa is now just starting to see that number more commonly. Better sense of deaths is bookmarking a date in MN with total deaths then in two weeks looking at that date and seeing where Iowa is...I bet it's basically the same at the trajectory Iowa is going.

It also goes without saying that long-term care deaths in MN that are higher than any other state percentage wise. 80% of MN deaths are in LTC facilities. Iowa's long-term deaths are 11% of their total deaths. MN is 81%.

Iowa is still a few weeks behind the MN curve so I don't put much stock in these death numbers pertaining to governor actions.

Last edited:

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
So farmers aren't poor, but also require welfare to be viable?

I wasn't just talking farmers either. Seed dealers, chem dealers, manufacturing companies, tile repair guys, construction guys, excavating businesses, electricians, welding shop owners, etc are doing well.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

I'm wondering if that has to do with the Cities - a metro more highly and densely populated than anything in Iowa. If so, another factor as to why it can vary from state to state.

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
LOL. Most of my friends, family, and neighbors look like those folks and their average net worth would make most posters on this board look like peasants.
Good point and I agree. A lot of farmers are very wealthy and don’t show it.
However part of the reason they are wealthy is because they don’t spend.

My point was in response to the fact that opening businesses back up won’t be “flipping a switch” to revenue.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Tough to gauge these numbers when Iowa has really been two full weeks behind many states from the start of all this. April 21 or so was when MN started seeing daily deaths staying above 10. Iowa is now just starting to see that number more commonly. Better sense of deaths is bookmarking a date in MN with total deaths then in two weeks looking at that date and seeing where Iowa is...I bet it's basically the same at the trajectory Iowa is going.

It also goes without saying that long-term care deaths in MN that are higher than any other state percentage wise. 80% of MN deaths are in LTC facilities. Iowa's long-term deaths are 11% of their total deaths. MN is 81%.

Iowa is still a few weeks behind the MN curve so I don't put much stock in these death numbers pertaining to governor actions.
Where did you get the LTC death percentages? I would be curious to see that.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

They've clearly been doing a gawd awful job up there.

Seriously, the point you make is the same one I've been beating the drum on which is at the end of the day, there is only so much that can be done and the reality is the virus will win in any scenario.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Iowa's case numbers started rising with Minnesota's, and soon surpassed them. We aren't really behind them in terms of starting to see this disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.