Best prank you've ever done?

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Another one I ate crap on, engineered by the same guy that pulled the putter prank.

I signed up for an online banking service before banks were offering it. Right around 2000, may have been a year after. Back in the primitive days, the way this worked was my bills were snail mailed directly to the online banking service. They would scan the bill into the system and punch in the amounts by hand. You could choose whether you wanted it to be paid automatically or you could elect to push a button prior to it sending.

My cell phone bill came in. I receive notification that a bill has come in, and I have this setup so I have to push a button before it is paid (all of my bills were set like that at the time). I login and see my total due is $5,241,000.00. Seems like a pretty big bill. I'm unhappy - what safety precautions do they have in place to prevent this from happening? What if I had this one setup to pay automatically?

I call the company, they say they screwed up, apologize, give me a year of free service, everything is good. I vent to my co-workers about how silly this is. Issue closed.

30 minutes later, I get an email from the online banking service. My invoice has been paid in full. I flip out - I haven't looked at my bank account recently, but I'm pretty sure there isn't $5M in there. There's a contact number at the bottom of the email. I call it - it's a prerecorded message from the Goat Farmers of America. I'm blinded with rage and call again - same message. WTF.

Almost immediately after, another email comes in from the online banking service. My account lacked sufficient funds (duh), and I'm being charged a 1% fee. $52,410. People are sticking their heads over my cube because I'm making all kinds of unpleasant noises.

Another email comes in. I don't have the funds to cover the service charge and I need to call the company and get this resolved. A different phone number is listed. I call it. I don't even remember what this one was, but I came unhinged. People are still sticking their head over my cube wall...this time they're all laughing. What in the hell is going on? I see friend and look him in the eyes. I finally put it together. We're all a bunch of tech guys but I'm a rookie. This guy has more experience than I do.

It was a lot easier to spoof an email than it is today (it's still easy, but there are clues today to let you know it's not from a reputable source that didn't exist back then). Friend and a couple of co-workers were over drafting emails while I was losing my mind. They were having a pretty good time. I thought I was ruined. Everyone but me had a very good time at lunch that day.

I later used the same email spoofing technique plus a planted webpage to convince someone that Peyton Manning had retired. He dropped him from his fantasy team which lead to tons of drama after someone else picked him up. The commish was not pleased.

RunninMan

Nov 18, 2013
For some reason my high school's administration decided to take a stand against all things fun for a senior; senior skip day, senior prank, etc. even though most of the teachers admitted we were one of their favorite classes. They said that if any of us were caught participating in these activities then the whole class wouldn't walk at graduation. So my friend and I bought like 5 bags of that confetti that was shaped like the year we were graduating and started hiding the individual pieces all over the school. We hid them in the ceiling vents and up in the tiles, in the middle of textbooks that were at the back of the drawer, we even took razor blades (this was small town Iowa so security was non-existent) and cut open new packs of sticky notes and note cards and hid them in there. At first it wasn't a big deal since they just assumed the confetti was probably left over from some event. But then they kept finding it in weirder and weirder places as time went on. We graduated 5 years ago now and we still get texts from some of our favorite teachers with pictures of confetti that fell out of a random school supply or finally worked its way out of the air vent.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Trying to remember some of the pranks we pulled in college as there were a lot of good ones. Best ones I could think of that I was involved with in some manner either part of the prank or knew of the prank being played at the time:

- There was a guy on our floor at Towers in one of the single rooms at the end of the hall that never locked his door yet complained when something went missing or someone borrowed something out of his room without asking. So 1 night while he was eating at food service some of the guys took his door off the hinges and hid it. He came back and was asking everyone where he door was which they responded "I don't know, don't you lock it when you leave?" I was the RA on the floor and about that time the RA on duty that night was making her 1st rounds at 7 and stopped by and asked me about the door so I told her I knew what was up and that it was just a little prank which she found to be funny as well. Not long after that I get a call from my hall director asking about the door because the guy had called into the on-call hotline to report it. I let her know what was up and she found it funny too and told me to tell whoever has the door to return it ASAP because if it wasn't back in 15 minutes she was coming up to deal with it. I don't think the guy found it too funny but he made a better habit of locking his door after that.

- My freshman year one night my roommate was down the hall getting drunk so the guys next door came in and put a bunch of golf balls and cheerios in his bed and a bunch of shaving foam on his loft ladder. He came back around 2am or so, I was still awake but in bed so I kept quiet and first thing I hear when he goes to get in his bed is "what in the hell is on my ladder?" After he cleaned it up he got into bed and next thing you hear is crunching and golf balls falling out and bouncing on the floor. At that point I couldn't help myself and started to laugh so of course he thought I did it. I told him the culprits live across the hall so he gets out of bed and starts knocking at the door. I can hear chuckling from their room but they wouldn't open the door so he starts grabbing the golf balls and chucking them at their door which in turn start flying all over the hallway and back into our room which by that time more guys are opening their doors to see what is going on. Had to be there to get the full effect of a drunk guy doing this and yelling random drunken sentences in the process but was a pretty funny moment.

- One other one from freshman year was 1 guy would always take a shower in the middle of the day for some reason so some guys started a game with him that they'd snag his keys and towel while he was in the shower then lock his room door so he would wind up having to take down the shower curtain to wrap around himself and walk down the hall to beg for his towel and keys from whoever took it. Needless to say after that happened a few times we all kept eye on our towels while in the shower so it didn't happen to us too.

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
When I was in the dorms we went shopping something to grill...While we were looking in the meat section we saw some intact pig kidneys for sale. I bought one of them with some idea of a prank loosely formulating in my mind. Once we got back to campus I went to lab I worked at and got a cooler box that one might imagine organs are placed in for delivery.

We carefully bagged the kidney and placed it on ice in the cooler. We added official looking bio-hazard and various medical stickers on the cooler. We addressed it to our next door neighbors in our dorm. We addressed it from the U of I hospital (with the but printing off an official return label from them). Around midnight I took the cooler down and left it outside our dorms mail room where UPS and Fedex left their packages sometimes. We did leave one side of the cooler un-taped so if any RAs or other officials could look in if they got curious.

At ~3am my roommates and I wake up to the sounds of a commotion coming form our neighbor's room. Someone says "No it's not mine!"..."Are you sure?"

We peaked out our door to see that a couple of campus police officers had woken our neighbors up to discuss a suspicious package found by the mail room. They even had brought the package up with them...Our neighbor goes "What is it?" His roommate holds it up, "its a kidney!". We held our laughs until after the cops left. But needless to say our neighbors we pretty shaken up about being woken up and instigated in the middle of the night. We laughed at them for a few minutes....

My neighbors spent the rest of the semester feebly trying to get back at us for that...They still get embarrassed and irritated looks on their faces to this day if you bring it up.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
K-beck back in the 80s... We taped plastic up on someone's door and popped HUGE amounts of really ****** popcorn. The drinking and the smoking happened in there somewhere and our "victims" heard us giggling for a few hours as we loaded their doorway up with popcorn. Victims take a hockey stick and pushes the plastic out and all the popcorn spilled into the hallway.

RA comes down, knocks on the door and 2 completely stoned goofs with 5 air poppers and the smoke and stench of burnt popcorn rolling through the air opened the door with stupid grins on our faces. He asked if we knew anything about a popcorn prank gone awry. We said know and giggled. He said great - just clean it up.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
In college a friend worked for Dominos. One night we were really bored and we followed him around while he delivered pizzas. The original intent was to steal his car while he was at someones door and park it on the next street. But the intent turned into scaring him. After about 2 hours of following him around I had my opportunity. We parked down the street, I ran down the street to his car, got in and laid down in the back seat (while trying to not laugh my ass off because he had Shania Twain blasting with a lot of bass). He gets in the car and starts to drive away. I slowly raise up from the back seat with a disposable camera ready to snap. I then say "Hey Garrett", he turns, slams on the brakes and I snap a picture.

I don't know where the picture is today but it was PURE terror on his face. That picture could have won an award. I really don't know how he didn't **** himself.

My friends in the chase car pull up and are dying laughing because they saw his car start to drive, a camera flash from inside the car and then brake lights to a stop.

I know exactly who you are talking about! Watts might still have that picture, pretty sure that is who I heard that story from the first time.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
One of my favorites was a reaction to a lame, typical prank. Some guys "pennied" another guy in his room, then starting banging on the door laughing. Little did they know that he had some ammo. He lit a few bottle rockets and shot them under the door so they bounced all around the pranksters until they exploded.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
So today I had flowers delivered to my friend's place of employment with a card reading "congratulations on the baby boy". The reason this is so funny is because his beer gut. I cant quit laughing, wish I could see their faces.
Ahhh. Cell phones allow a person to appear one place when they're actually right next to you. Between Austin and Victoria, TX, just outside of a small town (Cuero) where my Mom's husband (while driving their RV to Victoria) pulled over to buy her flowers in the middle of nowhere. I was disguised as a homeless person selling roses for $1. She had no idea it was me (I was supposed to be in San Francisco where I lived, but how could I pass up 'Mother's Day' AND 'her birthday'?). Nor did she read my sign when I flipped it over saying Happy Birthday. She was too busy screaming at my step dad. It was hilarious. I, eventually, (after several other subtle hints), pulled off my wig before she finally figured out it was me. That night I pulled off a similar gig with my sister in Victoria. Only in the background I heard two conversations. The first was her husband wanting to kick my ass. And the second one was my niece saying "If I didn't no any better, I think that's Uncle ___". It took everything I had to contain myself. My sister was quicker to read the back side of the sign. Try getting a manager's approval for a homeless person to sit outside a nice restaurant as a practical joke. My Aunt still says it was the all time practical joke / surprise.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I know exactly who you are talking about! Watts might still have that picture, pretty sure that is who I heard that story from the first time.

Yup he is probably who you heard it from. I've wanted a copy of that pic forever.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
Ahhh. Cell phones allow a person to appear one place when they're actually right next to you. Between Austin and Victoria, TX, just outside of a small town (Cuero) where my Mom's husband (while driving their RV to Victoria) pulled over to buy her flowers in the middle of nowhere. I was disguised as a homeless person selling roses for $1. She had no idea it was me (I was supposed to be in San Francisco where I lived, but how could I pass up 'Mother's Day' AND 'her birthday'?). Nor did she read my sign when I flipped it over saying Happy Birthday. She was too busy screaming at my step dad. It was hilarious. I, eventually, (after several other subtle hints), pulled off my wig before she finally figured out it was me. That night I pulled off a similar gig with my sister in Victoria. Only in the background I heard two conversations. The first was her husband wanting to kick my ass. And the second one was my niece saying "If I didn't no any better, I think that's Uncle ___". It took everything I had to contain myself. My sister was quicker to read the back side of the sign. Try getting a manager's approval for a homeless person to sit outside a nice restaurant as a practical joke. My Aunt still says it was the all time practical joke / surprise.

I did something similar to my parents. I live in Arizona, my sister lives in Des Moines. We drove back so we didn't need an airport pickup (nephew's birthday). I clued my sister in and convinced her to send Ma and Pa to Hy-Vee to pick up a soda. They drink soda all the time so this isn't unexpected. They show up to the Hy-Vee gas station and go inside. My Dad is standing in front of the soda cooler staring at it for what felt like an eternity. I'm standing directly behind them. I finally say "are you going to stand there all day or are you going to buy something?" He turned around and almost fainted.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Prank pulled on a cocky field engineer by some ironworkers: They crawled underneath his truck and attached a black zip tie onto the drive shaft in an area where it couldn't easily be seen. Makes a very bad sounding ticking noise that you can't easily find/diagnose. Mechanics at the repair shop thought it was hilarious.

Worked a job where the crew foreman played the same joke on every new guy who came from the hall. New guy would show up on his first day. Someone would point him toward the foreman, who was inevitably talking to a group of guys about something. Foreman would turn, point at the new guy, and say "That's the f***ing guy!" Never got old.

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
In college a friend worked for Dominos. One night we were really bored and we followed him around while he delivered pizzas. The original intent was to steal his car while he was at someones door and park it on the next street. But the intent turned into scaring him. After about 2 hours of following him around I had my opportunity. We parked down the street, I ran down the street to his car, got in and laid down in the back seat (while trying to not laugh my ass off because he had Shania Twain blasting with a lot of bass). He gets in the car and starts to drive away. I slowly raise up from the back seat with a disposable camera ready to snap. I then say "Hey Garrett", he turns, slams on the brakes and I snap a picture.

I don't know where the picture is today but it was PURE terror on his face. That picture could have won an award. I really don't know how he didn't **** himself.

My friends in the chase car pull up and are dying laughing because they saw his car start to drive, a camera flash from inside the car and then brake lights to a stop.

We did this to our friend who was locking up as a "security officer". Turned our he was carrying...carrying a bat. Three of us hid the back of his car. First my girlfriend and I popped up while yelling "Hi Tim!" and he took a swing at me with the bat. We get out laughing our heads off while we trying to compose himself. He starts to drive our of the parking lot...get just about to the end of the lot and my other friend pops out of the back back of the SUV and screams. The victim swerved while slamming on the breaks and grabbing for the bat...He missed the driveway and ramped up the ditch and back on to the road.

I wish we had pictures of his face while swing that bat around.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
This movie was on the other night. Farva wasn't so smooth with his prank but the ones they did on him was great.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Did the basic switcheroo on a couple of keyboard keys a few times. "M" and "N" are good choices. Especially if your ERP uses "N" for notes and suddenly it doesn't effing work anymore...

The other good one (wasn't me) was we had a travelling sales guy who was gone a lot. Couple of younger guys in the office replaced all his photos of kids, wife, etc with pictures of sheep. It took him a few days to notice which was great.

Lastly, I haven't done this but saw it online and submit it as a fantastic idea:
DZsGYuOWsAESgSX.jpg

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
I was a freshman in a three man room with two sophomores. One roommate was into heavy mettle music, the other into Depeche Mode, Smiths, etc. We were going home for Christmas so I switched all of their cassette tapes, putting Depeche mode in an Iron Maiden cassette holder, and vice versa.

Came back after Christmas and I forgot about the prank...they hadn't :)

BleedCycloneRed

Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
Buddies of mine pulled one while we were living in the towers. So one night a pizza delivery guy delivers a pizza to their room by mistake (correct floor and room #, wrong building). But they are hungry so they pay for it and eat it. Then they take an old phone book, but it in the box, and walk over the room where it was supposed to be delivered, where some guy sits with his girlfriend waiting on the pizza. He goes to write a check and they tell him "no checks, cash only", so he pays cash and they scramble down the stairs.
Best part was they called him the next day to give him his money back (the beer had worn off by then and the morning after guilt set in), and he told them "no, you fooled me fair and square, you can keep the money". We still laugh about it 40 years later.

Cyclone27inQC

Jun 16, 2010
Quad Cities
A classic by my roommate in the dorms. He was BIG Strong football player and it seemed the freshmen guys on the floor would give him crap just to mess with him.

He would wait until one of these guys stated that their home town girlfriend was coming to visit them for the weekend. The day before her arrival he would target one of them and wrestling them down to the floor and proceed to give them a HUGE hickie on the front of their neck.

A little disturbing at first but it was brilliant knowing they would have a difficult time explaining it or hiding it from their girlfriend.

rockbottom

Feb 13, 2013
So today I had flowers delivered to my friend's place of employment with a card reading "congratulations on the baby boy". The reason this is so funny is because his beer gut. I cant quit laughing, wish I could see their faces.

We lived in frat house on Welch back in the 70's-a guy had an old B&W metal cased TV from his grandmother. It quit working and one night after being at the Lucky Q too long we dropped off the 3rd floor fire escape-next morning we pick it up and take to the TV repair shop, which was just one block west of Welch-told the guy it just quit working and could you fix it-all mangled up. I do not know how my buddy kept a straight face talking to the repair man!!!!

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Really, so many wonderful pranks back in the 70s...let's see, maybe the time I smuggled a half-bag of Sakrete into a women's dorm and deposited the contents into the toilets at around 4 a.m. ... has the statue of limitations run out yet?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Used to referee basketball and we would always meet up someplace to take off for that night's game. Some friends of ours on another crew would always meet at the same place as us and for some reason one of them was always paranoid his car would get towed. So we concocted this scheme to make his car disappear.

His wife was a teacher at one of our kids' school so we got her in on it. When kids got dropped off that day she gave us the spare keys. After their crew left, we moved his car down the street.

They got back around midnight that night and started freaking out. "GUYS? GUYS? DOES ANYONE SEE A PROBLEM HERE? WHERE IS MY ******* CAR GUYS? MY CAR? IT'S GONE. SOMEONE STOLE MY CAR."

Took him about ten minutes to calm down after we revealed our deception and about 30 minutes for the rest of us to stop laughing.