***Official 2019-2020 Transfer Thread***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
Another familiar name enters the portal.

@mzintiz Have learned that Arizona State forward Romello White has entered the transfer portal as a grad transfer.

Atlanta native who has been a three-year starter for Arizona State. Averaged 10.2 points and 8.8 rebounds per game last season.
I remember really wanting him and being bummed out when he went to ASU, I thought we had a decent shot at one point too. I know the need for frontcourt guys isn’t as strong as the one for backcourt guys but he’s too good for someone we have a prior relationship with to not go after imo.

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015
according to 247 the only other visit besides Arizona St that Romello White took was to ISU. I’d imagine if we go after him that would help us out a lot

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Another familiar name enters the portal.

@mzintiz Have learned that Arizona State forward Romello White has entered the transfer portal as a grad transfer.

Atlanta native who has been a three-year starter for Arizona State. Averaged 10.2 points and 8.8 rebounds per game last season.
Want

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Those were my four years as a student. I don’t want to see the program fall that far again.

I had the last year of Morgan, four of McD, and 0.5 of Hoiberg.

I went to every home game in that stretch as a member of the pep band.

Trust me, I know how bad it can be. But we ain't that bad yet.

Firing Prohm is likely to trigger a reset in the program where the next coach is probably going to be that bad for at least a year or two while rebuilding.

That assumes the rebuild is eventually successful. It might not be.

We might just suck for 4-5 years and have to start all over... again.

The best thing here, and really the only quick way we get better, is that Prohm turns it around in the next two years. Given that, I am going to hope for that upside.

Not just ***** about everything when we made the NCAA tournament 14 months ago.

Reactions: HoustonClone

Clyde4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 22, 2018
Romello White has never attempted a three pointer in 3 seasons of college ball. Yet his defensive rebounding % of 23.7 makes him an automatic take.

I would be surprised if Steve pursues him at all.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I had the last year of Morgan, four of McD, and 0.5 of Hoiberg.

I went to every home game in that stretch as a member of the pep band.

Trust me, I know how bad it can be. But we ain't that bad yet.

Firing Prohm is likely to trigger a reset in the program where the next coach is probably going to be that bad for at least a year or two while rebuilding.

That assumes the rebuild is eventually successful. It might not be.

We might just suck for 4-5 years and have to start all over... again.

The best thing here, and really the only quick way we get better, is that Prohm turns it around in the next two years. Given that, I am going to hope for that upside.

Not just ***** about everything when we made the NCAA tournament 14 months ago.

I don’t necessarily want Prohm fired now. I know it ain’t happening, obviously. I just want to see some sort of a plan from him. Like I said before, I don’t want to see anything half-assed. If he wants to grab a PG for next year and three sit outs, I can live with that. I guess we’ll find out at the end of the summer what he wants to do but this spring hasn’t been encouraging and we aren’t going to get a second wave of transfers like we all hoped. He needs to start hitting on some of these guys because they are starting to run out.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I don’t necessarily want Prohm fired now. I know it ain’t happening, obviously. I just want to see some sort of a plan from him. Like I said before, I don’t want to see anything half-assed. If he wants to grab a PG for next year and three sit outs, I can live with that. I guess we’ll find out at the end of the summer what he wants to do but this spring hasn’t been encouraging and we aren’t going to get a second wave of transfers like we all hoped. He needs to start hitting on some of these guys because they are starting to run out.

I have higher hopes that Johnson (with a year to develop and acclimate himself to the Big 12 and the rest of the team) and the four freshmen would lead a turnaround.

The record of mid-major guys jumping to a high-major and being expected to contribute as a starter is not exactly great. DeAndre Kane is a massive exception to this rule, but relying on those guys usually ends badly no matter where you are.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I have higher hopes that Johnson (with a year to develop and acclimate himself to the Big 12 and the rest of the team) and the four freshmen would lead a turnaround.

The record of mid-major guys jumping to a high-major and being expected to contribute as a starter is not exactly great. DeAndre Kane is a massive exception to this rule, but relying on those guys usually ends badly no matter where you are.

The only freshman I want playing big minutes next year are Foster and maybe Dubar. Walker can be the backup PG and get 10-15 minutes a game. He shouldn’t be starting, that’s too much to expect from him. Even Monte didn’t start right away and he was much more highly regarded. If all 4 are playing next year it’s clearly a developmental season and we better have some high quality sit outs waiting to go for 21-22.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
The only freshman I want playing big minutes next year are Foster and maybe Dubar. Walker can be the backup PG and get 10-15 minutes a game. He shouldn’t be starting, that’s too much to expect from him. Even Monte didn’t start right away and he was much more highly regarded. If all 4 are playing next year it’s clearly a developmental season and we better have some high quality sit outs waiting to go for 21-22.
If Walker were to be surrounded by dudes like Kane, Georges, Hogue, and Ejim, I think we’d be fine with him playing Monte’s freshman role. If he were next to NWB and Shayok (with Wiggi at times too), I think he’d be okay playing major minutes. But right now it looks like he won’t be able to have such luxuries.

I could see any of the freshman succeeding in having a big role/minutes, but not all of them. Not often do you see a freshmen class lead a turn around, particularly one without any elite guys. Odds are that if more than one is a high usage guy, things aren’t going well.

The turnaround will need to be a mix- improvement in the 4 returning guys, impactful transfers (both GT and Johnson), and having a couple Big 12 ready freshmen. It’s possible, although we’ll need good fortune soon. If Harris were to somehow get an exemption, we’d just need a guy like Brown in terms of personnel imo.

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames
Scouring the Twittersphere for information on Romello White, it looks like Iowa State won't be in the running. Leader at this point looks to be Vanderbilt because White's past AAU coach (Jerry Stackhouse) is now the head coach at Vanderbilt. Also, Georgia remains a possibility because their assistant coach, Chad Dollar, was an assistant at Georgia Tech when White was committed to the Yellow Jackets. And lastly, I don't see any follows from the Iowa State staff.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Scouring the Twittersphere for information on Romello White, it looks like Iowa State won't be in the running. Leader at this point looks to be Vanderbilt because White's past AAU coach (Jerry Stackhouse) is now the head coach at Vanderbilt. Also, Georgia remains a possibility because their assistant coach, Chad Dollar, was an assistant at Georgia Tech when White was committed to the Yellow Jackets. And lastly, I don't see any follows from the Iowa State staff.
Not surprising. I don't think you bring in a guy like White, without running off a guy like Solo inadvertently

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis

Nice digging.
Honestly I really didn't expect ISU to pursue White. The staff hasn't been connected at any post prospects this Spring focusing on guards and with Solo, Conditt, Foster with other stretch 4 options is pretty set in the post. I would guess White would want 30 minutes a game plus he already passed on coming to Ames twice as ISU recruited him early and after he decommited from GT.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Nice digging.
Honestly I really didn't expect ISU to pursue White. The staff hasn't been connected at any post prospects this Spring focusing on guards and with Solo, Conditt, Foster with other stretch 4 options is pretty set in the post. I would guess White would want 30 minutes a game plus he already passed on coming to Ames twice as ISU recruited him early and after he decommited from GT.

Agree, the equivalent player as a guard is a hard GO AFTER him.

That was basically what Tyler Harris was.

But with Solo, Conditt, Foster, and the 6'5"+ wings around that we now have, you are probably better keeping your powder dry for later engagements.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

White knew where he was going before he entered the portal. Tampered