K-State's AD put out these 7 B12 options for football ...

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
1. Starting the season as scheduled in early September (Can't see it)
2. Starting the season in late September and ending games in December
3. Starting the season in October and playing a conference-only schedule
4. Starting the season in September and playing a conference-only schedule
5. Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in January (LOL imagine Ames then?)
6. Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in March (Makes most sense)
7. Splitting up the season with six games in the fall and six games in the spring
I think September would be the best time to begin play. If players and fans can't be safe then, I doubt it gets any better over the following month or two.

Assuming we're good to go in September, I say start then with the intention of playing the entire season. If the situation requires putting the season on hold, put it on hold and cancel the remaining schedule if necessary. We could consider resuming play in the spring, but if this virus follows the cyclical pattern of the flu, I doubt that's going to work. By the time the virus runs it's course, it could be summer.

Since we would likely be in the conference schedule, make arrangements for some revenue distribution among conference members based on the number of home games that a team lost out on.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
We were a bowl team last year and outside of a couple games the student attendance was not impressive.

I am willing to bet that if it comes to a limited attendance policy the AD will limit it based on donor levels. They aren't going to lose out on donations by not allowing the high rollers football tickets.
That could be a public relations nightmare. I think maybe you let the top donors attend all games, but you need to find a way to get all donors into at least some games. You may need to restrict lower level donors to just two seats. Non-donors that are long time season ticket holders should also get in the rotation.

But the other issue would be how you restrict tailgating. It doesn't make much sense to restrict people in the stadium if you let everyone to congregate in the tailgate lots whether they have a ticket or not. That could get to be a logistical nightmare. You could issue parking passes in conjunction with game ticket distribution, but what if everyone loads up cars, vans and RVs with people that don't have tickets?

JackClone

Jun 15, 2010
Johnston
#1 - The country needs to switch models, mid pandemic, and adopted the Swedish Model for dealing with COVID-19. We'll have immunity and a functional country by September. If we don't, I'm not sure what will be left of the USA?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That could be a public relations nightmare. I think maybe you let the top donors attend all games, but you need to find a way to get all donors into at least some games. You may need to restrict lower level donors to just two seats. Non-donors that are long time season ticket holders should also get in the rotation.

But the other issue would be how you restrict tailgating. It doesn't make much sense to restrict people in the stadium if you let everyone to congregate in the tailgate lots whether they have a ticket or not. That could get to be a logistical nightmare. You could issue parking passes in conjunction with game ticket distribution, but what if everyone loads up cars, vans and RVs with people that don't have tickets?

This is all just hopelessly complicated and even if you restrict the number in the stadum there's no way you can enforce any kind of distancing within the stadium so at that point its become pointless. It will be an all or nothing proposition as far as fans go, imo, and my guess is more towards 'nothing'.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
1. Starting the season as scheduled in early September (Can't see it)
2. Starting the season in late September and ending games in December
3. Starting the season in October and playing a conference-only schedule
4. Starting the season in September and playing a conference-only schedule
5. Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in January (LOL imagine Ames then?)
6. Waiting until 2021 and starting the season in March (Makes most sense)
7. Splitting up the season with six games in the fall and six games in the spring
What is the plan for a championship and bowl games? Don't see those happening under most of those plans.

What exactly are they trying to accomplish? Are they playing just to try and get some TV money or for a championship?

Setting aside player safety, if there are no fans in the stands, how does any of this make any financial sense and isn't more costly than just not playing the season? TV contracts won't be met so we won't get a full payout for that.

It's very likely a new outbreak shuts down any of these plans mid season.

So what are they trying to accomplish?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I think no fans is a popular statement in the media. But I think there will be fans, maybe limited to ISU Students & Faculty.

Depending on what we learn over the next couple months fans could include:
  • People who already had virus if they are immune or not likely to get severe case.
  • Limit attendance to people from counties with limited new cases. This requires testing. This seems like a big hurdle, but between 50-60% of Iowans get a flu vaccine annually. So if tests are available, a lot of people can be tested in a 2-3 month window through same means as flu vaccine.
  • Limit attendance to 50% capacity- every other seat.
  • Implement mitigation strategies to limit risks of spread at events: masks, gloves, taking people's temps at gate, no concessions or cashless concessions, e tickets, no tailgating. MLB and NBA will provide best practices over the summer.

None of these scenarios could be managed by the ticket scanners. Some of these guys struggle to do their jobs now.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
We were a bowl team last year and outside of a couple games the student attendance was not impressive.

I am willing to bet that if it comes to a limited attendance policy the AD will limit it based on donor levels. They aren't going to lose out on donations by not allowing the high rollers football tickets.

It will be interesting to see how many high rollers bail on the season because they are in the higher "at risk" categories.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
For #5 forget the miserable fan experience, many schools couldn't play from a safety perspective due to the frozen playing surface. The Vikings had to pay to put one in when they played at U of M and it wasn't cheap.

I'm a Vikings fan and honestly totally forget they ever played at TCF until this post.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
The only reason I can think of to delay the start from early Sep to Oct would be to allow time for schools to catch up in states that open later. I am with those that say it will be with all fans or none - too complex to try to do anything in between. I don't think the players are at risk - they are in the low risk category and will be monitored more closely than the majority of the population. We are still waiting to renew our season tickets in hope there will be more info.

Hoping for a full season even without fans - we can always tailgate with our friends in our driveway.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
9 games over 10 weeks from Oct. 3 through Dec. 5 (conference only or one non-con for the 8 conference game people like SEC). If you have to do no or limited fans, do it. Full bowl season after that - 5 wins to make a bowl, ending with the national title game on Jan. 4. Bowls are probably less likely to have fans but ESPN TV money is enough.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
Perhaps a concern that is coming our way is a large amount of sporting options in a short time period, which places more competition for the same consumer dollar.

Example: PGA is moving some if it's majors into the late summer / fall time period. These events take away dollars from the traditional football season. Or Nascar will delay some races into the fall, which takes fans away from football on Saturdays. Or tennis moving some majors, etc.

I'm afraid even if we have a college football season, the smaller fan base due to virus concerns and competition from other sporting options will negatively effect revenues.

Jamie is going to have a very difficult job in the next few months...and title nine limits options available to him.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
CW and Blum making fun of surly on the podcast has made my day
Oh my god... they did what???
DentalSkinnyDuckbillplatypus-size_restricted.gif

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
There are a few B12 AD concerns not mentioned in the opening post. Since it's dangerous to post everything, let me summarize what one of them said recently.

"The option that makes a little more sense if you're going to play in the Spring - from a weather perspective - is starting in March and ending in May. The problem with that one is the NFL Draft. The idea that I think is crazy is starting the season in January and playing until March"

"One AD did mention how can we stop schools in Texas or Oklahoma if they can play their first two games and schools in Kansas or Iowa can't for some reason, how can we deny them that opportunity? It's a fair question."

"Where we're going to start to see cracks is with the moratorium on schools using their athletic facilities before May 31. All of a sudden, if we've still (shutdown) and Oklahoma is wide open, then schools in Oklahoma are bringing their kids back to start working out in their facilities. That's where I think we won't be on the same page."

Have at it, boys.

beautiful-lips-biting-bottom-lip-web.jpg

Last edited:

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
If starting in January was to be an option, the Big 12 could have the Texas schools play all their home games first, then KS/IA/WV schools would get all their home games at the end of the season in March.

The only major conference that would have an issue with that schedule is the B1G. Getting really creative here... Minnesota (Vikings), Michigan and MSU (Lions), Indiana and Purdue (Colts), and even Wisconsin (Brewers) could host early season games in domes, and the rest of the B1G could have their home games later.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron