Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I think the “not much story to it” is interesting, but again, I’ve seen it multiple times now. I find the story very complex in all honesty.

“Spoiler” (sorry...don’t know how to hide it)

One example:

Rick Dalton (DiCaprio) is star struck very early in the movie when he finally sees his neighbor for the first time. This is paraphrased, but “That’s Roman Palanski. He’s been living there a month, and that is the first time I’ve seen him. Roman Polanski. I’m one pool party away Man”

A little bit later, is the scene at the playboy mansion (pool party) with Tate dancing all over the place. In that scene, there is a sequence where Steve McQueen talks about Tate and her complicated relationship with Polanski and Jay Sebring, finishing with “I never had a chance”.

A little bit later, on the set, Rick Dalton is asked about how it was rumored he was maybe going to be the lead in The Great Escape, of which McQueen ended up being. Rick explains he never had a chance.

Fast forward to the end of the movie...after the mayhem, after Cliff is taken off. This scene, at the very end...is my favorite. Rick strikes up a conversation with Sebring through a closed gate. Tate comes on the intercom and eventually asks Rick if he wants to come up for a drink, at which point Sebring gives him a thumbs up. That thumbs up is the “yes!” moment for me. Is Dalton finally going to get his chance???”

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I loved the music! Can't remember when I last heard Paul Revere and the Raiders. Now that's quality music!!

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
If you are old enough to have remembered that time, it is a goldmine of memory touchstones. The soundtrack is killer.

Tying the Manson gang in with the Hollywood stuff is genius. And the mayhem at the end is hilarious.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Great flick. Tarantino continues to make amazing films.

With great music as always. Ever since I watched this I can’t stop listening to Traveling Show by Neil Diamond.

Reactions: CycloneVet

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Too bad Burt Reynolds couldn't have stayed healthy long enough for the George Spahn role.

The Leo-Brad duo is modeled after Burt and Hal Needham.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Too bad Burt Reynolds couldn't have stayed healthy long enough for the George Spahn role.

The Leo-Brad duo is modeled after Burt and Hal Needham.

Wow. I didn’t know that Burt was originally cast for that role. I think Dern was a pretty good “plan B”, and we know QT trusts him. Played a big role in Hateful 8.

clone2003

Sep 1, 2013
I realize this movie has been discussed in other, past, movie related threads, and I remember there being very mixed reviews on this board when it came out and in the near immediate couple weeks after it’s release. Some down right hated it (naming it as the worst movie they had seen lately in one thread).

I really enjoyed the movie when it first came out in theaters, and I have watched it quite a few times again (nothing else to do) on STARZ. I personally feel like the movie gets better for me each time I watch it. I pick up on something new, little Easter eggs I didn’t notice before, more appreciation for certain scenes, etc.

Now that it has been on STARZ for a while, I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to take in another (or more) viewing lately, and if additional viewings changed your opinion of it, one way or the other.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
Loved this movie. It’s so complex and interwoven from scene to scene as well as outside references. Each scene of the movie is almost a stand-alone skit as well.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I absolutely loved the Bruce Lee scene to set up how big of a bad ass Cliff was

How about this take...that scene was 100% in Cliff’s mind. From a movie sense, did that happen, or is they what Cliff wants to believe happened?

Apparently, that scene, or parts of it, happened in real life, and the stunt man in the real life story got his ass kicked.

I’m not trying the conversation one way or the other, but I’ve heard a similar type of stand off happened in RL. Outcome of that RL situation? Only a very few people know.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Really liked this movie although didn't love it. Glad I saw it. Perhaps it will go in the 'better with time' category.

Liked these types of scenes.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
How about this take...that scene was 100% in Cliff’s mind. From a movie sense, did that happen, or is they what Cliff wants to believe happened?

Apparently, that scene, or parts of it, happened in real life, and the stunt man in the real life story got his ass kicked.

I’m not trying the conversation one way or the other, but I’ve heard a similar type of stand off happened in RL. Outcome of that RL situation? Only a very few people know.

I have wondered if it happened in his mind as well or he was reminiscing why he didn’t get along with the guys wife.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I really don’t get the people who say this movie is trash. Tarantino movies are really great at dialogue and music. This is no exception. It’s not my favorite of his, but it too half for me.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I really don’t get the people who say this movie is trash. Tarantino movies are really great at dialogue and music. This is no exception. It’s not my favorite of his, but it too half for me.

I agree, I love the subtleties in his movies like Wolf Tooth Dog Food Good Food for Mean Dogs

Reactions: Angie

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I thought it was ok. Was a little slow, overly long, and lacking of things actually happening for my liking. Really enjoyed what they did with the ending though and left me super intrigued to research more into the Manson murders. Pitt and DiCaprio were great. Glad I didnt watch with my wife as she would have been bored to death and hated it.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I thought it was ok. Was a little slow, overly long, and lacking of things actually happening for my liking. Really enjoyed what they did with the ending though and left me super intrigued to research more into the Manson murders. Pitt and DiCaprio were great. Glad I didnt watch with my wife as she would have been bored to death and hated it.

Can confirm, I watched with my wife last night and she was bored and hated it. I thought it was okay. I like QT a lot, but this wasn't my favorite film of his.

Reactions: Triggermv

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
The first time I tried to watch this I turned it off after about 1/2 hour. The other night I watched it all the way through. Once you understand that there really isn't a story you can tolerate it. Not bad but I didn't think it was worthy all the praise it received.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Just watched it last night. Had no expectations, but I enjoyed it. How it ended with Manson's group was great.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

I agree that the best part about QT movies are the music and the dialogue. Almost all of them are revenge stories too.

The storyline in OUATIH was pretty blah, but it was still great dialogue and music, and the ending was good of course. I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10.