Music Groups or artists that you used to not like, but now do like

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Nirvana. I was a child of 80s rock and hated their songs...until decades later playing them on Rock Band gave me appreciation for them.

Reactions: cyclones500

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I don't think I've had any recent changes of heart, but a few I was slow to embrace, to varying degrees, for different reasons:
* Nirvana
* Led Zeppelin
* Neil Young

Zep & Young required me to explore more of the catalog. Still a lot of Young output I haven't sampled.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I will go with Fleetwood Mac. Like others I was quite the contrarian so didn't appreciate much that was uber popular. So when Rumours came out I was pretty down on them. Over time I've come to appreciate them for what they are/were. Still not a huge fan, but will not avoid them with vigor like I had before.

Surprised so many have come to appreciate Elvis Costello. I was a huge fan back in his heyday and there weren't that many. His music was not really played anywhere around here with any kind of regularity so you sort of had to seek it out.

Fleet wood Mac was my parents second favorite band (behind the Eagles). Loved it as a kid, went away from it, then started messing around with guitar, bass guitar, and synth in my late 20’s and digging in to their musicality more. Now I’m a huge fan of FM again. I don’t care for Stevie Nicks that much (or vocals in general in any music)really but their musical connection is amazing. You can see how much they’ve hated each other and burned every bridge amongst the group, but that musical connection always brings them back because they could never find it anywhere else. And that is cool to me.

Fleetwood Mac has actually grown on me quite a bit -- not the Fleetwood Mac and Rumours stuff, though, which is so canonical it is practically wallpaper at this point in its ubiquity. Granted, that is some supremely crafted mid-70s soft pop/rock, almost to the point is becomes scary, but there's nothing challenging about any of it.

What has grown about me with Fleetwood Mac is their early blues stuff (usually known as the Peter Green era, a very underrated guitarist) and Tusk. Buckingham could have just made the same album for the third time in a row, but he did not, actually trying to pick up on punk and New Wave and experiment. Many of those experiments are not particularly successful, but I appreciate a band that kept an experimental edge even when they had a well-versed formula that was making them millions. It was bold to leave it behind.

I don't think I've had any recent changes of heart, but a few I was slow to embrace, to varying degrees, for different reasons:
* Nirvana
* Led Zeppelin
* Neil Young

Zep & Young required me to explore more of the catalog. Still a lot of Young output I haven't sampled.

Led Zeppelin is another one slightly diminishing over time for me.

They sound great (until you hear the records where they stole so much), and there are plenty of contemporary hard rock bands that give you much the same thing musically without all of the bombastic machismo and mystical pretensions.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Fleetwood Mac has actually grown on me quite a bit -- not the Fleetwood Mac and Rumours stuff, though, which is so canonical it is practically wallpaper at this point in its ubiquity. Granted, that is some supremely crafted mid-70s soft pop/rock, almost to the point is becomes scary, but there's nothing challenging about any of it.

What has grown about me with Fleetwood Mac is their early blues stuff (usually known as the Peter Green era, a very underrated guitarist) and Tusk. Buckingham could have just made the same album for the third time in a row, but he did not, actually trying to pick up on punk and New Wave and experiment. Many of those experiments are not particularly successful, but I appreciate a band that kept an experimental edge even when they had a well-versed formula that was making them millions. It was bold to leave it behind.

Led Zeppelin is another one slightly diminishing over time for me.

They sound great (until you hear the records where they stole so much), and there are plenty of contemporary hard rock bands that give you much the same thing musically without all of the bombastic machismo and mystical pretensions.

I went through a Stairway phase right when CDs/CF players became mainstream, but other than that I’ve never been that high on LZ. Same with the Stones and Beatles, but I’ve never lost my love of Floyd. I don’t have a huge affinity for English music at all. Floyd is an American band as far as I’m concerned.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
Dave Mathews
Black Crows

For years, I couldn't stand the lead singer's voice in either band. I got past that.

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
Warren Zevon for me, I didn't dislike his music, but was neutral. I love listening to Warren now, guy was a musical genius.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Nickleback is so generic that I have a hard time enthusiastically hating them. I don’t like their music, but I just can’t muster a reaction, and hating them has become a total cliche/expected opinion.

Creed is light years worse. That’s a truly hateable band.
LOL, this is great. I would throw 3 Doors Down into that cohort.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Roy Orbison

Early Roy:

Late Roy:

I used to not like Roy Orbison, I think, because of that black and white special, which I've seen several times. Whoever edited the cameras in that one oughta be shot. I've since listened to a number of singles without the visuals, and Orbison is great. Now I get it. Only the Lonely is one example.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I don’t get it. Very possible I’m wrong. But I’d bet my nuts they’re bad.
Ha, I would say some what antiquated for modern musical tastes but they're a solid rock band. Just a little bland for my liking.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Kings of Leon. I still don't think they're really that good but their early stuff was at least raw and they were just playing some rock and roll.

Recently I still don't like his actual music but I've realized Post Malone is a talented person and his Nirvana set might have been some of the best I've seen/heard out of him. I think he mentioned that he wasn't using autotune and he should stick with it.

Post Malone is a good one. I actively hated the guy when I heard his first single, now I genuinely like him.