Javan Johnson at 4

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Javon isn’t Shayok...He’s 6’6 with a wingspan which is perfect for the 4 spot...If Javon can hit 3’s and greater than 35% clip then our offense will be solid enough imo.

I’m more concerned with getting Tyler Harris eligible honestly. We need him this year.

We still have to add at least 1 more grad transfer guard who is solid...along the level of Harris or better imo.

I think XF is gong to be a potent offensive threat..You don’t see many 7fters with his stroke and ball skills.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Seriously go find another team.
Hehe, go bury your head in the sand. It's a fact we weren't good defensively last season. Doesn't change your fandom if you accept the the truth about your team. It makes you a rational fan. Those who are in the extremes either blindly optimistic to where you don't see the faults and the others who only see the faults are the ones that self dilute.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Hehe, go bury your head in the sand. It's a fact we weren't good defensively last season. Doesn't change your fandom if you accept the the truth about your team. It makes you a rational fan. Those who are in the extremes either blindly optimistic to where you don't see the faults and the others who only see the faults are the ones that self dilute.

I don't have an issue. You can't move on. My statement was in regards to Foster. So absolutely nothing to do with last year. Seriously move on.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I don't have an issue. You can't move on. My statement was in regards to Foster. So absolutely nothing to do with last year. Seriously move on.
I'll move on if you don't take a comment out of context and freak out over it. If you read what I was responding about pretty much is the same thought.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'll move on if you don't take a comment out of context and freak out over it. If you read what I was responding about pretty much is the same thought.

Jacobson, Griffin, Lewis all gone for a reason. Which has nothing to do with Foster. Johnson sent the Griffin and Lewis packing. Hopefully we now have a small ball defender. If Foster can defend in space we have a traditional 4 solution. Time will tell. No reason to dwell on the past. The issue has been addressed. Time will tell.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Javon isn’t Shayok...He’s 6’6 with a wingspan which is perfect for the 4 spot...If Javon can hit 3’s and greater than 35% clip then our offense will be solid enough imo.

I’m more concerned with getting Tyler Harris eligible honestly. We need him this year.

We still have to add at least 1 more grad transfer guard who is solid...along the level of Harris or better imo.

I think XF is gong to be a potent offensive threat..You don’t see many 7fters with his stroke and ball skills.

I have no doubt that Javon can play the 4 offensively, but how will he stack up on defense is the bigger question. I would be curious how much strength he added since coming to ISU. The ISU website lists him at 195lb. Hogue, Nader and Ejim were all around 6'6" but weighed 220+ lbs. As a 4 Javon is going to need to be a great rebounder. Especially, if Solomon Young rebounds like he has historically.

IMO if ISU is going to be a strong team next year, signing a guy like Chaundee Brown to play the 4 and have Bolton & Johnson on the wing would be a solid lineup. IMO it would also minimize the need to have Harris or a grad transfer PG be immediately eligible. I think the below lineup would be solid since Jackson or Walker could have a focused role.

PG Trey Jackson or Jaden Walker
WG Bolton
WG Johnson
SF Chaundee Brown
P Young or Conditt

Reactions: WhoISthis

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I have no doubt that Javon can play the 4 offensively, but how will he stack up on defense is the bigger question. I would be curious how much strength he added since coming to ISU. The ISU website lists him at 195lb. Hogue, Nader and Ejim were all around 6'6" but weighed 220+ lbs. As a 4 Javon is going to need to be a great rebounder. Especially, if Solomon Young rebounds like he has historically.

IMO if ISU is going to be a strong team next year, signing a guy like Chaundee Brown to play the 4 and have Bolton & Johnson on the wing would be a solid lineup. IMO it would also minimize the need to have Harris or a grad transfer PG be immediately eligible. I think the below lineup would be solid since Jackson or Walker could have a focused role.

WG Bolton
WG Johnson
SF Chaundee Brown
P Young or Conditt

I think it's a really long year if Jackson is our primary ballhandler

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

WG Bolton
WG Johnson
SF Chaundee Brown
P Young or Conditt

We'll have a new PG for next season. We'll get a better GT after it's confirmed transfers aren't getting a waiver.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
We'll have a new PG for next season. We'll get a better GT after it's confirmed transfers aren't getting a waiver.

Not following. How’s does the waiver ‘not’ passing give us a chance at getting a better GT?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Not following. How’s does the waiver ‘not’ passing give us a chance at getting a better GT?

Rumors are out the waiver won't pass. When that's official more GT will surface. Hard to get somebody now that MAY still have to compete for minutes with Harris.

It's nice having four available when we really only need two for next season. Advantage of trimming the roster of dead weight.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
You don’t think he’ll improve? Imo his game relies on nuance, so removing freshman hesitation and adjustment could make a notable difference.

Plus with that lineup, he wouldn’t need to do much other than not turn it over and maintain spacing when the other players are driving. Not the pg everyone dreams of, but capable.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
It doesn’t if it follows the timeline of Bolton. Many or most GTs will decide before then.

But there will also be surprise GTs in the summer and we’ll likely have room imo

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
You don’t think he’ll improve? Imo his game relies on nuance, so removing freshman hesitation and adjustment could make a notable difference.

Plus with that lineup, he wouldn’t need to do much other than not turn it over and maintain spacing when the other players are driving. Not the pg everyone dreams of, but capable.
Tre will improve but I just don't see being the primary ball handler as being his game, especially in Prohm's offense. I don't think he has the explosiveness or length to ever be great off the dribble. I think he will be a shooter and secondary ball handler. If Harris isn't eligible I think we'd will see Bolton with the ball mostly. If Tre shoots like he did the last half of the conference season and keeps defending the way he did, he will be really valuable.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006

Who teaches these kids how to shoot these days?

So many players with such bad shooting form it seems.

I guess if it works, so be it, but Javan looks like he shoots it from his chest. Such a low delivery. Halliburton did too though, so it can be done.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Johnson looks like a baller, can’t wait to see him on the court. And I can’t wait to see who else we land to fill out the roster, hopefully we’ll have a punchers chance in the league like back in 2000.