Coronavirus Coronavirus: In-Iowa General Discussion (Not Limited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Looking it up....although I'm sure its not on the Twitter/Google/Microsoft approved list.

They are only quasi-governmental like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (until they went belly up and were re-nationalized in the last crisis).

Straight from their own website...

https://www.cdcfoundation.org/financials

Established by Congress more than two decades ago, the CDC Foundation is an independent, 501(c)(3) public charity.

From their June 30, 2019 Financial Statements..

$50 million dollars from Donors "with restrictions"
$15 million dollars from government grants
$10 million from indirect cost recovery ...?
Now look up the difference between the CDC and the CDC Foundation and report back.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I for one am surprised a C-list celebrity giving our governor pandemic advice might not be working out.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Looking it up....although I'm sure its not on the Twitter/Google/Microsoft approved list.

They are only quasi-governmental like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (until they went belly up and were re-nationalized in the last crisis).

Straight from their own website...

https://www.cdcfoundation.org/financials

Established by Congress more than two decades ago, the CDC Foundation is an independent, 501(c)(3) public charity.

From their June 30, 2019 Financial Statements..

$50 million dollars from Donors "with restrictions"
$15 million dollars from government grants
$10 million from indirect cost recovery ...?

They are a division of the Department of Health and Human services and if you can't even get something simple like this correct why the hell should anyone listen to anything else you have to say on this topic?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
They are a division of the Department of Health and Human services and if you can't even get something simple like this correct why the hell should anyone listen to anything else you have to say on this topic?
the simple answer with him is you don't, ever.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Nothing like yesterday when she was shocked that someone would ask whether she intend to appear in church as a show of confidence in her policy choices.

The regional maps were always "response theater" designed to give impression they had a real decision-making framework. Now that we're reopening, they can abandon that facade.

You could tell when she was asked that question she was not happy. The religious leaders in the state put a kibosh on her plans when they all came out and said they were keeping online services. That was a play to her base and it failed epically. Her own church made it very clear they are in no rush to start up face-to-face services again.

https://www.lutheranchurchofhope.org/coronavirus/
https://www.kimt.com/content/news/I...ver-restarting-church-services-570020211.html

Reactions: HitItHard58

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix

If this is indeed true, it's fantastic news. It may very well be the most important piece of data to date actually.

I sure hope so. The two things that scare me the most right now are:
- Food/supply chain issues
- That the virus can be contracted more than once

The latter scares the living hell out of me. The #1 thing that would give me some confidence that this will someday subside is proving that contracting the disease and recovering provides a reasonable amount of protection against the virus going forward.

I sure hope they're right!

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
If this is indeed true, it's fantastic news. It may very well be the most important piece of data to date actually.

This story makes a lot of sense, if you understand the way the diagnostic tests work. Also, I would imagine that recovery rates would be much lower/slower if developing immunity wasn't common.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Yeah it's similar to how long it lasts on surfaces vs. being active. That still seems to be a confusing thing for information. I think a virus needs a host in order to do its thing and I'm surprised it doesn't die after 4 days of being on certain surfaces as has been reported.

There's also some stuff about how a vaccine trial went well with some monkeys that are similarly built to humans that's potential positive directions.

Holding off the excitement though just because there's nothing official...sadly, hearing or seeing anything positive feels like ISU beating Kansas circa 1993, haha.

Reactions: isutrevman

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Here is a good summary of the various models currently out.

27759572-8264839-image-a-22_1588093322239.jpg

What happened to the other thread? This is supposed to be there.

This thread:

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
You could tell when she was asked that question she was not happy. The religious leaders in the state put a kibosh on her plans when they all came out and said they were keeping online services. That was a play to her base and it failed epically. Her own church made it very clear they are in no rush to start up face-to-face services again.

https://www.lutheranchurchofhope.org/coronavirus/
https://www.kimt.com/content/news/I...ver-restarting-church-services-570020211.html

More than just not happy, she was practically offended for a moment until she recovered and tried to spin it.

Similarly, her last question today was about Trump's favorite drugs that were part of the Test Iowa quiz and that this company's CEO was invested in, and she couldn't get away from the podium fast enough.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
That is not true. You're spreading disinformation and conspiracy theories and it needs to stop

Lol... The only conspiracy around here is why these large companies are deleting perfectly good information from professionals. And calling everyone names.who doesn't like getting just one side of every story.

Reactions: arobb

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I thought that was what you preferred??? Non-government, private sector solutions funded by the market?

I know, this is weird bizarro Covid world. These quasi entities are the worst of all possibilities. The non-profits are so setup for potential corruption in today's environment that it is highly dangerous. They act with all the "authority" of government (for those that believe in that sort of thing) but are free to do whatever their donors want to do. I would rather they just be a government entity controlled by Congress, yes it pains me to even type that but it they are going to exist that would be preferential.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
And how many people die every year on average? How many die from the flu every year? Pretty similar, perhaps slightly higher and that's due to the incentive for hospitals to just list every death as COVID related.

JFC I can't believe we still have to explain this to people. Do you not know how to process information? You keep saying **** that flat out isn't true.

https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/not-like-the-flu-not-like-car-crashes-not-like

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/10/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html

20200427_CovidweeklydeathsUSthroughApril26.jpg

Reactions: BoxsterCy

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I know, this is weird bizarro Covid world. These quasi entities are the worst of all possibilities. The non-profits are so setup for potential corruption in today's environment that it is highly dangerous. They act with all the "authority" of government (for those that believe in that sort of thing) but are free to do whatever their donors want to do. I would rather they just be a government entity controlled by Congress, yes it pains me to even type that but it they are going to exist that would be preferential.
Good news then! The CDC is actually a government agency!

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
JFC I can't believe we still have to explain this to people. Do you not know how to process information? You keep saying **** that flat out isn't true.

https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/not-like-the-flu-not-like-car-crashes-not-like

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/10/upshot/coronavirus-deaths-new-york-city.html

20200427_CovidweeklydeathsUSthroughApril26.jpg
Don’t know if you know but I’ve never really paid attention to the specifics of this graph. Where would the Spanish flue be on this graph for comparisons sake?

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
I sure hope so. The two things that scare me the most right now are:
- Food/supply chain issues
- That the virus can be contracted more than once

The latter scares the living hell out of me. The #1 thing that would give me some confidence that this will someday subside is proving that contracting the disease and recovering provides a reasonable amount of protection against the virus going forward.

I sure hope they're right!

What really scares me is that nobody really knows anything about the virus and our leadership at the highest levels has been incompetent at best and reckless at worst.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
What really scares me is that nobody really knows anything about the virus and our leadership at the highest levels has been incompetent at best and reckless at worst.

I would amend that to say "reckless at best and malicious at worst." And even that might be generous.

But your central point is correct: there's very little we can say with absolute certainty about the virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.