Get your stimulus check payment

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Still not stimulated. My 2019 taxes should have been filed yesterday. Owed money, first in a long time, and they will have info for sure then.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
For those of you who are recently stimulated, how are you going to blow your new found fortune?

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So my dad passed away in June 2018. I filed his 2018 tax return and marked it as deceased and signed it as the executor.

Today I received his stimulus check made out to:

Pay to the order of: T____ H Schroeder DECD
Curtis Schroeder

I am really tempted to sign and deposit it since my name is on the check.

What is preventing me from doing this is the envelope that a box to check and remail if the recipient is deceased with a warning "Forgery of endorsements on Treasury checks is a Federal crime. Maximum penalty is a $10,000 fine and ten years imprisonment".

Technically I wouldn't be forging it since I am on the check and can endorse it. And they obviously know my dad is deceased since they have "deceased" right on the check".

I need some of that world famous legal advice

The Feds have said you should return the money, but have not provided any guidance on how you should go about doing so.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i...return-it-to-the-feds-mnuchin-says-2020-04-29

Sounds like with the way the legislation is written it's questionable whether they have the authority to take back the money.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Entered my information two Saturdays ago and received the deposit in my bank today. I feel so stimulated.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
For those of you who are recently stimulated, how are you going to blow your new found fortune?

I need to have our patio resealed. Thought it would be $400 but it's $1,600 because they don't know what the previous sealant was? I'm probably getting screwed.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
anyone who paid IRS get a check yet

Not here.

I'm expecting to get screwed on it just like a vast majority of small businesses couldn't get a ppp loan that the such scrappy small businesses like the LA Lakers and Harvard University were somehow granted.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
The Feds have said you should return the money, but have not provided any guidance on how you should go about doing so.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i...return-it-to-the-feds-mnuchin-says-2020-04-29

Sounds like with the way the legislation is written it's questionable whether they have the authority to take back the money.

Yes the Fed have said that but through my research various Attorney's have stated that based on how the law is written they can't enforce you returning it. The Attorneys also cited the 2018 stimulus where the same thing happened and there was no enforcement of returning the checks. I have saved numerous articles and Attorney opinions as support in case they decide to come after me for depositing. I guess I'll sign it and take it to the bank and see if they depsoit it for me. Like I said my name is on it so there shouldn't be an issue. If the bank won't deposit it then I will return it.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My mom passed away in October. Just handed back all the signed stuff to file electronically this morning. I’m wondering what will happen there. Technically her estate still has businesses functioning under it.

I'm in similar situation with a father in law who passed away less than two months ago. Mother in law's SS has not had time to adjust yet even though we alerted them almost immediately. She just got her most recent SS payment as if nothing had happened. You'd think it would be the same system but who knows.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
1. Depends when you filed and if the return was fully processed.
2. It'll get reconciled on your 2020 return if you're due additional funds.

I can only imagine how many years or months that'll take given I haven't even gotten my stimulous refund now. I could be in similar situation to him actually.

I'm somewhere that's had the most strict restrictions in the country for 43 days now, some of these places getting ppp loans and stimulous checks closed weeks after me and are opening weeks before me, how long was Georgia's shutdown? Two weeks? Meanwhile my business is shut out of ppp despite applying the first second it was possible and I'm betting I get a check in June if it ever comes.

Last edited:

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I’m still stuck as payment status unavailable. Really frustrating and don’t know what the issue is. Filled 2018 and got a return with direct deposit. Sent in 2019 after this started with direct deposit for a refund. I think my problem is that they have my return in their system but not processed. I don’t get why that should hold it up though.

At the end of the day I’m frankly not that worried about getting the actual money but I just want to know what the status of it is.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I’m still stuck as payment status unavailable. Really frustrating and don’t know what the issue is. Filled 2018 and got a return with direct deposit. Sent in 2019 after this started with direct deposit for a refund. I think my problem is that they have my return in their system but not processed. I don’t get why that should hold it up though.

At the end of the day I’m frankly not that worried about getting the actual money but I just want to know what the status of it is.

I was in same situation until just three days ago when my wife and I suddenly were recognized by the system. Didn't get an expected payment date that I've heard others talking about though.

I guess just try it every day or two.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I was in same situation until just three days ago when my wife and I suddenly were recognized by the system. Didn't get an expected payment date that I've heard others talking about though.

I guess just try it every day or two.

This is our exact situation. Finally let us put in our information, but nothing on expected payment date.

I remain in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
One of my sons who worked for the IRS for a number of years told me that if you have to pay and give them an account that after they take the money they delete the info. I had to pay this year so when I went to check I got the "no information" message and had to input it again. He left the IRS because they kept getting less and less funding but the gov wanted them to do more plus their system was old and not very efficient.
This is the dumbest thing ever. In 2011 the IRS projected the ROI on just their new programs. For an investment of $237M they were projecting increased collections of $2B. That is a ROI of roughly 8.5:1. If those programs proved to be only half or even one quarter as effective it is still a great ROI. Everybody hates the IRS because their job is to collect "our money" but with proper funding they can do their job better and have the time to do it more compassionately.

In 2009 US taxpayers paid $2.3T in taxes but it is estimated that an additional 290B went uncollected. So over 10% of the taxes owed never makes its way into government coffers.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This is our exact situation. Finally let us put in our information, but nothing on expected payment date.

I remain in "I'll believe it when I see it" mode.

Seeing the "small businesses" that got gigantic ppp loans instead of my small company of 30 employees has led me to think of my stimulus check like a lottery ticket I have extremely low odds of winning with.