2020 Commits Stats & Senior Performance

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Could somebody in the know breakdown the differences between Dubar and Blackwell?
From the tweets and videos I have seen Blackwell has a longer Wingspan, better vert, maybe a better on ball defender, very explosive off the dribble and bounce, and is more athletic. Dubar looks like a very good 3 level scorer and can really shoot the 3, he can really pass the ball, and has good court vision. Dubar is 1 inch shorter and looks to be more crafty in the way he can score the ball, and can defend well too. Blackwell can get to the rack anytime he wants. Both look like good shot blockers, and are very long. I would say if we were to categorize each at an actual position I would say Dubar is more of a CG/SG while Blackwell is more of a SF.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
From the tweets and videos I have seen Blackwell has a longer Wingspan, better vert, maybe a better on ball defender, very explosive off the dribble and bounce, and is more athletic. Dubar looks like a very good 3 level scorer and can really shoot the 3, he can really pass the ball, and has good court vision. Dubar is 1 inch shorter and looks to be more crafty in the way he can score the ball, and can defend well too. Blackwell can get to the rack anytime he wants. Both look like good shot blockers, and are very long. I would say if we were to categorize each at an actual position I would say Dubar is more of a CG/SG while Blackwell is more of a SF.

Yeah, my impression is Dubar as a 2/3 and Blackwell as a 3/4

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Could somebody in the know breakdown the differences between Dubar and Blackwell?
They are similar players to the role that TLew was supposed to play for us: a playmaker both on the 3-pt line and around the rim. Very high energy, athletic guys with good frames. Both have great verticals and both are pretty good distributors of the ball (though I wouldn't play them at PG)

However, I think like most have said, Blackwell fits more at the SF position and Dubar at the SG position. Also, I think Blackwell will contribute quickly while Dubar will probably get a few mins a game to start out his career.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Yeah to me they see Blackwell as more of a small ball 4 and sometimes 3 but a guy who can attack the basket and can be a mismatch on offense once he can consistently hit from 3 and is a good defender. Looks like he also is a good passer from his videos and from his stats this year. Several games with double digit assists Dubar to me is a 2/3 who is a really skilled offensive player who can score on all three levels.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: WhoISthis

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Yeah, my impression is Dubar as a 2/3 and Blackwell as a 3/4
Perfect for what we need!

Add in Johnson as a pseudo point-forward at the 3/4 and Big X as a post that can shoot, and we’ll be better 2-5 next year. Longer, more athletic, deeper, with more skills covered.

At the pg spot, Walker could help and he has great measureables to add ball skills on the wing too. Add an experienced PG transfer and we’re going to surprise a lot of people next year.

Reactions: heitclone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I really wish Foster had played some decent AAU competition (well maybe not because he might've ended up with better offers).

His high school highlights look like a dad against playing his 9 yr old son.

If Foster can shoot 35%+ from 3 next year he's probably a 1st round pick and off to the g-league for a few years.

A big guy like Foster will have a big adjustment jumping to the Big 12. In HS the tallest opposing player is typically 6" shorter than him. In the Big12 he is going to play against guys close to his height plus might be 2-3 years older and physically stronger.

This is a case where Prohm is going to need to break him down and then build him back up. I would project Foster as one of our first bigs off the bench to start the season and if he works hard can be a 15-20mpg player by season end.

The 4 position might be the toughest position for a young defender- one night they face off against a traditional post, the next night they face a lean finesse guy and the next physical specimens like Vital or Bane.

Last edited:

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
XF playing time will be dependent upon his ability to defend the PnR..

offensively he will be a lethal pick and pop big.. he’s tall and long and skilled.

Blackwell I see as a more skilled Hogue.. really athletic kid that plays D and loves to rebound and is a slasher.

Dubar has a high ceiling imo.. great length for a SG but his 3pt shot is inconsistent right now.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Keeping up with Xavier’s march to state.

@PurePrepHoops @CycloneMBB commit Xavier Foster with 36pts 13reb 6blk 4ast to advance to the substate final. @XaMan_10 trying to reach the Well for a 3rd straight season.

Typhoon

Sep 30, 2010

Not a single example of passing or point guard play in that video. You'd think a point guard video would show some playmaking. With that said, he has a nice three point stroke and seemed to finish pretty well through contact.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
Not a single example of passing or point guard play in that video. You'd think a point guard video would show some playmaking. With that said, he has a nice three point stroke and seemed to finish pretty well through contact.
We are uses to PG's that love to pass but we are in the generation of score 1st PG's.

Reactions: Doc

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Here’s a random unimportant question. Do you think the four incoming freshmen Zoom with each other or our coaches, especially in these virus days? Would think it would be a great way to build some rapport with each other.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Here’s a random unimportant question. Do you think the four incoming freshmen Zoom with each other or our coaches, especially in these virus days? Would think it would be a great way to build some rapport with each other.

FaceTime for sure, especially with our new S&C guy

Reactions: WhoISthis

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
FaceTime for sure, especially with our new S&C guy
Any insight to whether the new guy is an upgrade?

He is getting some good canvases to work with, assuming things get to where they can come up to Ames this summer!

Last edited:

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015

I don't know if this video has been posted before showing Blackwell highlights. Appears to be from 2018 (his sophomore year). He has waaaay better passing skills than I imagined.

reminded me a bit of THT in that video. I love how as soon as he gets a board he is immediately either looking up the court for a teammate or pushing the ball ahead in transition

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

I don't know if this video has been posted before showing Blackwell highlights. Appears to be from 2018 (his sophomore year). He has waaaay better passing skills than I imagined.

I believe Prohm made comments about him having some point forward potential or ability, or perhaps it was in the Team USA Camp/tryout articles.

Are both Dubar and Blackwell to be ahead of where Zion was last year?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I believe Prohm made comments about him having some point forward potential or ability, or perhaps it was in the Team USA Camp/tryout articles.

Are both Dubar and Blackwell to be ahead of where Zion was last year?

Prohm called him almost like a point forward when they signed him. Article with the video is below. I think shooting may be an issue but Foster could maybe take some pressure off there.

https://www.iowastatedaily.com/spor...cle_9f41bf64-0663-11ea-907c-c3a181b0c3a4.html

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron