Your Comedian Mount Rushmore

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Who you got for top 4 comedians of all time?
I think Pryor, Carlin and Chappelle are my shoo-ins, debating the 4th, tentatively thinking Lucille Ball.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
carlin
rock
murphy
chapelle

considered:
dangerfield -- wasn't around in his prime
hart
ferrell
jim carrey

age will play a factor

Last edited:
Reactions: ZRF and heitclone

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
Chappelle

Louie

Bill Burr

Richard Prior *

* I put Prior last because comedy has become much more nuanced and sophisticated
nowadays, but wouldn’t be where it is today without him.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Pryor
Chappell
Dangerfield
Bob Hope

Modern Day guys

Chappell
Rock
Burr
Andrew Dice Clay

A few things. I am big into comedians. Love it. Sit around and listen all the time. Road trips I listen to mostly stand up.

George Carlin is one of my favorites. Dude is awesome and his stuff would be even better in modern times with all the wimpyness of America. However, he has some really bad albums in between really good ones.

Also, No idea why Andrew Dice Clay get's left off everyones list. Dude sold out Madison Square several times in a row and did Arena tours for the longest time. First comedian to ever do that. Possibly because he is not the huge star anymore that he was. However, the guy had some seriously good stuff.

IN the mix
Seinfeld - People forget he used to be a killer stand up.
Greg Giraldo- Killer
Louis Ck- Killer
Jay Leno- He was considered the best comic at the Comedy Store by all the comics pre Tonight show.
Joan Rivers was so good. She was one of the first women to do "Men" type sets. Her stuff still holds up today.
Sam Kinnison- Life ended right when he was huge
Bill Hicks- Dennis Leary ripped off his whole act. To the point he would do it word for word.
I know this will get some hate and I am not a huge fan. Dane Cook was huge. Yeah he might have stolen the jokes also but he was huge. I never got his act.
Brian Reagan- Best clean comic out there
Steven Wright
Mitch

Louis Black
Jeff Foxworthy
Larry The Cable Guy

The last three you have to kind of have a taste for but they are all huge.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Pryor
Chappell
Dangerfield
Bob Hope

Modern Day guys

Chappell
Rock
Burr
Andrew Dice Clay

A few things. I am big into comedians. Love it. Sit around and listen all the time. Road trips I listen to mostly stand up.

George Carlin is one of my favorites. Dude is awesome and his stuff would be even better in modern times with all the wimpyness of America. However, he has some really bad albums in between really good ones.

Also, No idea why Andrew Dice Clay get's left off everyones list. Dude sold out Madison Square several times in a row and did Arena tours for the longest time. First comedian to ever do that. Possibly because he is not the huge star anymore that he was. However, the guy had some seriously good stuff.

IN the mix
Seinfeld - People forget he used to be a killer stand up.
Greg Giraldo- Killer
Louis Ck- Killer
Jay Leno- He was considered the best comic at the Comedy Store by all the comics pre Tonight show.
Joan Rivers was so good. She was one of the first women to do "Men" type sets. Her stuff still holds up today.
Sam Kinnison- Life ended right when he was huge
Bill Hicks- Dennis Leary ripped off his whole act. To the point he would do it word for word.
I know this will get some hate and I am not a huge fan. Dane Cook was huge. Yeah he might have stolen the jokes also but he was huge. I never got his act.
Louis Black
Jeff Foxworthy
Larry The Cable Guy

The last three you have to kind of have a taste for but they are all huge.

Kinnison was one of my favorites. Had that persona and delivery where almost everything he said could make you laugh, even if it might not be particularly funny.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Kinnison was one of my favorites. Had that persona and delivery where almost everything he said could make you laugh, even if it might not be particularly funny.

Yep. I always thought he died at the right time to secure his legacy as a comedian. I am not sure what else he could have done. The yelling would have ran out eventually. BTW no I am not glad a guy died. Just as far as legacy goes. I saw Sam do shows where he would not say anything funny but just his overall delivery made the crowd laugh.

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Never been big into stand up comedy, but recently watched some of the people who got their start on the late show with johnny carson in my boredom at home.

Drew Carey's bit was entertaining.
Louie anderson was another good one but ends poorly.

Also rewatched the blue collar comedy tour movie and would have to say from what I've seen, Ron "tater salad" White would be high on my list. I remember the other three, (larry the cable guy, jeff foxworthy, and bill engvall) being funnier when I was younger, but less so now. Still an all around entertaining show since I hadn't seen it in a long time.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This is tough because sometimes I'm in the mood for a certain type of comedy. Carlin and Black are solid choices, but sometimes I'm not feeling the *****-about-everything style of comedy.

My parents watched a lot of Tim Conway and he was a funny SOB so I'm including him

Conway, Hedberg, Chappelle, and Mulaney are probably my four, but there are some great ones I'm leaving out
(Rock, Gaffigan, Murphy, Pryor, Wright, Burr, Reagan, Giraldo, Hart)

Last edited:

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
Joe Rogan
Brian Redban
Ari Shaffir
Duncan Trussel

Kidding

I'll preface this by saying I need to watch a lot more of the older stuff from Carlin and Pryor. But I'll go:

Burr
Chappelle
Murphy
Black or Ross

I might be the only person who thinks Jeff Ross is funny, but whatever. I could watch his stuff all day. Whitney Cummings is in that discussion too.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I am not going to limit "comedian" to stand-up only so...

John Belushi -- obviously gone too soon, but SNL, Animal House, and The Blues Brothers is enough for the star that shined twice as brightly and burnt out... I considered John Candy and Chris Farley in a similar vein, but I had to go with Joliet Jake in the end

Matt Groening -- creator of The Simpsons and Futurama, incredible satirist

Julia Louis-Dreyfus -- Seinfeld and VEEP does it for me

Richard Pryor -- both as a stand-up guy and as a writer

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron