4-23-20 Big Board Update: Adding two names for Iowa State

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Is there anyone besides Brown you'd be happy with at this point?
not speaking for WhoisThis but as someone who is not that excited about landing Harris, if we were able to get Brown and Salvane I would be happy...With the waiver passing sounding less and less likely I think we have to get 2 more eligible guys or we will be as bad as last year...I think Brown would have a decent chance at a waiver

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Is there anyone besides Brown you'd be happy with at this point?
I get the feeling that regardless of my answer, you’ll only read “McDonalds AA that we’re also P5 all-conference” if it’s not of the same position as yours. I’m guilty of that at times too!

As I’ve said, I’m happy with Harris. I also believe he is a high risk as a Big 12 pg, and I think there’s a lot of optimism here based on antiquated high school ratings and assumptions on his current offers. There’s also the chance he needs to sitout, so in terms of saving next year/Prohm’s job, a little less excitement.

But to your question, that pg risk view means I’d be very happy to land a guard with pg attributes, but given we have Harris and Jackson, one that can also play off ball. At this point, Perez, Flowers, and Salvane all have that. I also feel there will be more Brown level guys come open, in which it doesn’t matter what position they play. I’m not high on a guy like Coleman due to fit, but if you’re one to think we’re desperate I can see why you’d want to take a chance on him.

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
not speaking for WhoisThis but as someone who is not that excited about landing Harris, if we were able to get Brown and Salvane I would be happy...With the waiver passing sounding less and less likely I think we have to get 2 more eligible guys or we will be as bad as last year...I think Brown would have a decent chance at a waiver

Salvane doesn't get talked enough about. He's my number 2 want behind Brown

Reactions: WhoISthis

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Who, serious question, what don't you like about Coleman-Lands?
I’ll avoid being long winded, but fit.
Is he better than some? Probably, but if we’re going with the “swing for the fences/only guys that make a difference next year approach” that was promoted after the Buggs and Flowers news, his talent doesn’t offset the fit issue imo. Thus far he’s been mostly a 3 & D guy without the D. Weaker in ball control, and not a culture changer in the aspects we need.

Reactions: Halincandenza

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
We have NBA talent next year?

I think Bolton could probably test the waters after this year if he has a big season.
Without getting some more talent around him hes gunna have a lot of opportunities to put up some points

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I think Bolton could probably test the waters after this year if he has a big season.
Without getting some more talent around him hes gunna have a lot of opportunities to put up some points
He could test but he isn't close to being an NBA guy.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Not that I know of.

If Conditt makes the leap (after hitting the wall this year), he definitely fits the mold of a long, rim-running shot-blocker. He’s a sneaky-good screener and could probably cause some problems coming off the bench.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I would love to see that, because it likely means he suddenly became a good pg.

Maybe we’ll have a freshman surprise?

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I get the feeling that regardless of my answer, you’ll only read “McDonalds AA that we’re also P5 all-conference” if it’s not of the same position as yours. I’m guilty of that at times too!

As I’ve said, I’m happy with Harris. I also believe he is a high risk as a Big 12 pg, and I think there’s a lot of optimism here based on antiquated high school ratings and assumptions on his current offers. There’s also the chance he needs to sitout, so in terms of saving next year/Prohm’s job, a little less excitement.

But to your question, that pg risk view means I’d be very happy to land a guard with pg attributes, but given we have Harris and Jackson, one that can also play off ball. At this point, Perez, Flowers, and Salvane all have that. I also feel there will be more Brown level guys come open, in which it doesn’t matter what position they play. I’m not high on a guy like Coleman due to fit, but if you’re one to think we’re desperate I can see why you’d want to take a chance on him.
It's probably blind faith at this point, but when was the last time Iowa St didn't have a viable PG?
11-12 Chris Allen? But they had Royce, who avgd 5 ast.
Before that, 07-08, Garrett's fr year, was last time no one was over 3 ast/gm.

And it's not like they've just forced a guard into running the point, and they've just stumbled onto assists. The closest thing to that was Lucious, and he had almost 6 ast/gm.

WTS, I can't tell you who on the current roster can be that effective PG, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that there is one, or that they'll find one.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If Conditt makes the leap (after hitting the wall this year), he definitely fits the mold of a long, rim-running shot-blocker. He’s a sneaky-good screener and could probably cause some problems coming off the bench.

Yeah Conditt could be a long shot possibility. He was getting on some late rd 2 mocks last year based on potential. He'll need to make the leap to realize that but he's probably the current closest.
I fully expect Foster to go through the process too as many top 60 prospects do. If no other reason to get on the scouts radar, We'll need to see XF play to see if there if it is a chance he leaves after 1 year.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I’ll avoid being long winded, but fit.
Is he better than some? Probably, but if we’re going with the “swing for the fences/only guys that make a difference next year approach” that was promoted after the Buggs and Flowers news, his talent doesn’t offset the fit issue imo. Thus far he’s been mostly a 3 & D guy without the D. Weaker in ball control, and not a culture changer in the aspects we need.
But he is a ******* baller

Reactions: Doc

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
By what measure? What makes you think that?

If you’re a DePaul fan, would you mind giving us a scouting report?
I'm an Iowa State fan 1st, and a DePaul fan 2nd. With that said I didn't watch as much DePaul as i would have liked to. As for JCL I see a few different Cyclones in his game. His approach to the game is alot like Lindell's was in that he can get down and play defense if he absolutly has to but his main focus is on the offensive side of the court. Defensively one of his strengths is when he helps double down in the post because for only being 6'4 he is solid built and very scrappy down low defensively. Just like Lindell his man defense most of the time leaves more to be desired. For how he moves and plays on offense I think his game is very much like Chris Allen. Like Allen he can dribble some, and get others involved but you're probably going to want someone else to do it. He has less explosivness compared to Allen but he is a better shooter imo. When it comes to wanting the ball in his hands, taking the last shot, putting teams away, or burying a dagger he is the Alpha in those situations. When he is needed to make a basket at the end of a game he is a killer. All you need to do it watch DePaul knock off Tech to see what he can do. On last season's DePaul team he was the 2nd or even 3rd option depending on who was on the floor with him. When he is feeling it not many players can stop him from scoring. Imo he has the potential to have a Shayok type of impact as a scorer for Iowa State. I think he could push 20 ppg under Prohm. He is basically everything we wanted T-Lew to be and more. He is a 6th year guy that is battle tested in both The B1G, and The Big East and would bring a grown man veteran presents to ISU.

Last edited:
Reactions: LindenCy

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I'm an Iowa State fan 1st, and a DePaul fan 2nd. With that said I didn't watch as much DePaul as i would have liked to. As for JCL I see a few different Cyclones in his game. His approach to the game is alot like Lindell's was in that he can get down and play defense if he absolutly has to but his main focus is on the offensive side of the court. Defensively one of his strengths is when he helps double down in the post because for only being 6'4 he is solid built and very scrappy down low defensively. Just like Lindell his man defense most of the time leaves more to be desired. For how he moves and plays on offense I think his game is very much like Chris Allen. Like Allen he can dribble some, and get others involved but you're probably going to want someone else to do it. He has less explosivness compared to Allen but he is a better shooter imo. When it comes to wanting the ball in his hands, taking the last shot, putting teams away, or burying a dagger he is the Alpha in those situations. When he is needed to make a basket at the end of a game he is a killer. All you need to do it watch DePaul knock off Tech to see what he can do. On last season's DePaul team he was the 2nd or even 3rd option depending on who was on the floor with him. When he is feeling it not many players can stop him from scoring. Imo he has the potential to have a Shayok type of impact as a scorer for Iowa State. I think he could push 20 ppg under Prohm. He is basically everything we wanted T-Lew to be and more. He is a 6th year guy that is battle tested in both The B1G, and The Big East and would bring a grown man veteran presents to ISU.

I doubt he’s as good as his best games, but thanks for the info. I’ve read some discouraging reports by DePaul and Illini fans, but that’s usually the case!

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL

What I learned... that dude at the end of the DePaul bench is VERY excitable.

I grew up being a DePaul/Illini fan, so it's good to see signs of life out of that program.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
What I learned... that dude at the end of the DePaul bench is VERY excitable.

I grew up being a DePaul/Illini fan, so it's good to see signs of life out of that program.
It's a dumpster fire over there right now. It makes the little bit of movement we had child's play.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron