4-23-20 Big Board Update: Adding two names for Iowa State

Cyclone560

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2017
Going back to the "warm bodies" thing and panicking. I agree with some in the fact that using a scholarship on a guy you don't believe in is an absolute waste, at that point might as well give all the freshman big minutes and see what they got and see if you can force them to adapt to the college game quicker and develop.

Additionally, I was starting to panic when we missed on Turner and DeJulius, but there have been a lot of good players to come available since so I like the mindset of still being selective.

Specifically I think Coleman-Lands would be a great get, hes had mixed results, but was a former top50 guy and a shooter. In the right role I think he could be really really good. Another guy that hasn't been mentioned that I've seen mentioned much is Seton Hall PG Anthony Nelson. Young guy that played well in spurts when Powell was out. Those guys along with the others that CW listed on the big board are all legit options and I still think getting 2 would put us in a spot to be competitive.

Everyone seems set we are destined for a miserable year next year anyways so why not swing for the fences a bit. Warm bodies just keeps that reality the same but spreads out minutes

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
He was a Spring win last year. We got him over other P5 programs
You’re the type to think we got Beverly over St Johns and were thinking we’d get Buggs over Gonzaga! Getting a guy that heard from other P5’s in the spring isn’t a sufficient measure of good spring recruiting.

Again, I like Johnson’s potential, but in terms of spring recruiting he was a midmajor role player that was a sit one play two. He didn’t fill immediate needs which is the foremost value in the spring, and as a redshirt, he’s not changing next year or the top transfers you typically see (if anything, he exemplifies our spring recruiting follies, we get what we need a year too late, and/or overpay).

Let me be clear, you can have a successful program with the Johnson types, but it’s not great spring recruiting. An analogous example, non-P5s can build successful rosters getting long term projects and developing them, and getting great roster fit, but they’ll never show up as having top classes or recruiting.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
You’re the type to think we got Beverly over St Johns and we’re thinking we’d get Buggs over Gonzaga! Getting a guy that heard from other P5’s in the spring isn’t a sufficient measure of good spring recruiting.

Again, I like Johnson’s potential, but in terms of spring recruiting he was a midmajor role player that was a sit one play two. He didn’t fill immediate needs which is the foremost value in the spring, and as a redshirt, he’s not changing next year or the top transfers you typically see (if anything, he exemplifies our spring recruiting follies, we get what we need a year too late, and/or overpay).

Let me be clear, you can have a successful program with the Johnson types, but it’s not great spring recruiting. An analogous example, non-P5s can build successful rosters getting long term projects and developing them, and getting great roster fit, but they’ll never show up as having top classes or recruiting.

We got Johnson over Arkansas and Clemson and got Bolton over Cincinnati and Colorado State last spring

Reactions: isutrevman

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Agree - wonder if any of the ones saying this would move across country for a job to a city and company that they had never visited in person. Let alone not meeting any of their future coworkers in person.

A co-worker (lovely young woman btw) moved to Spokane sight un-seen from India for a - wait for it - IT job. Bravest thing I've seen with the giant culture differences and all.

I enlisted in the military but wasn't allowed to do "campus" visits. I still went (had to since I signed the contract).

OtisMyMan

May 3, 2013
I'd like to see us land Coleman-Lands. At 6'4" he has good size and length and was a pretty consistent double digit scorer all season until a late year fade. Had a great game in Depaul's rout of iowa with 17 pts and 5 assists. We would be his third school, which might indicate some attitude issues, but it isn't all that rare these days. He's shown he can compete in the Big Ten and Big East. Just might provide a lot of needed immediate help.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Grill was definitely not overhyped. I think people were excited about what he maybe could become in a few years but if that is hype than I don't know what isn't hype.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I'd like to see us land Coleman-Lands. At 6'4" he has good size and length and was a pretty consistent double digit scorer all season until a late year fade. Had a great game in Depaul's rout of iowa with 17 pts and 5 assists. We would be his third school, which might indicate some attitude issues, but it isn't all that rare these days. He's shown he can compete in the Big Ten and Big East. Just might provide a lot of needed immediate help.

Coleman-Lands would be a really good pickup. I watched that Texas Tech game last year and he was hitting big shot after big shot down the stretch. He tied it up with seconds left on a three and hit some other late shots. Those sort of qualities don't always show up in the box score. Surprised me that DPU faded so much down the stretch as I thought they'd finally make the tournament last year. Would love this pick up!

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Lewis by far
Lewis yes, he was hyped initially as a freshman, but he became a hot topic of debate this year and was actually loathed by many. Hard to say what Grill's career would've revealed about how we all felt about him, but this year as an unproven, raw, and struggling freshman, fans clamored for him to play more and get minutes over guys like Lewis and Griffin despite the fact he was providing nothing on offense and usually a target to pick on defensively by the opposition. I think he got more of a pass due to being more relatable, or perhaps for allegedly being an ISU fan prior to committing. Whatever it was, something endeared him to the fanbase more than I thought was warranted.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron