4-23-20 Big Board Update: Adding two names for Iowa State

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I definitely don’t agree with great. If it were, we’re not a bad team last year (even prior to Haliburton’s injury) and looking at the same next year. We landed a little used freshman (that was a fan of the program?), a midmajor role player that needed a redshirt. Bolton was a very good get and major props to our compliance staff that he could play. Better than our normal spring, but not great, and good would depend on what Johnson does.

The year before was Nixon, that’s not even good.

The Shayok, Jacobson, and Talley offseason was great. The sit one play one was invested in an all-conference type (opposed to a known MWC chucker). Even though we fell into landing an ISU fan in Jacobson, he was a good starter on a tournament team.

Prohm has struggled to land guys that fill immediate holes. He’s invested redshirts in low level Big 12 starters (or worse). At first it was because we’re too good, now we’re too bad or they can’t visit! I don’t recall too many of the good ones we have landed in which the campus visit was imperative. Perhaps Shayok?
We lost Shayock, Babb, THT, Wigginton, Lard in one off season. You aren't replacing that no matter who you get in spring recruiting. There is not a program in the country that gets 3-4 impact grad transfers. That doesn't exist. I don't know why you'd expect Prohm to pull that off. If you get one immediately eligible transfer you are doing alright (Bolton). If you get 2 you are doing great. If you get one and an impact sit out transfer, you are doing well.

Like you said, the Jacobson, Talley and Shayock spring was great. I think the Bolton, Grill, Johnson spring was a step below that, but still good. It could end up being better depending on the improvements that Bolton and Johnson make. We get 3 years out of Bolton and only got 1 from Shayock, plus his sit out year.

You are right about the Nixon year, that was a bust. I mistakenly took the Jacobson, Talley Shayock year as two years ago, it was three. So we've had really good spring basically every other year.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
What about Johnson?

Signed May 13th and if you remember, he signed with us really quick after we missed out on the kid who went to Memphis and then declared for the draft...I wanna say Tucker?

Last edited:

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Until proven otherwise, this has been a reality bad spring for the staff. Lots of negative recruiting against us for the obvious reasons (this has been verified). The staff is quite honestly striking out on their top targets.

While I suspect we’re a prime target for negative recruiting and I’m sure it goes on, “this has been verified” sounds like insider knowledge. Care to share? (No speculation, just factual sources please.)

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
While I suspect we’re a prime target for negative recruiting and I’m sure it goes on, “this has been verified” sounds like insider knowledge. Care to share? (No speculation, just factual sources please.)
It's behind a paywall and not my info to give. But it's certainly real.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Grill is more overhyped on these boards than anyone in a loooong time

I liked him a lot as a prospect. But if we're talking about a guy who played one injury plagued season and then transferred as a spring "win", then man, things are rough.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Appears maybe the staff is less panicky than 90% of this message board.
I’m not being panicky. They should go for the top transfers, but they can’t afford to get fill all of the spots with Hans Brases and Jeff Beverleys.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I liked him a lot as a prospect. But if we're talking about a guy who played one injury plagued season and then transferred as a spring "win", then man, things are rough.
I liked him too, but a lot of folks on here seem convinced he was the next coming of Hoiberg (the player). I think his ceiling here would be closer to Shane Power

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I liked him too, but a lot of folks on here seem convinced he was the next coming of Hoiberg (the player). I think his ceiling here would be closer to Shane Power

Point these posters out.